LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 3

LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Post by jason812 »

Mods, I'm not sure where this belongs. Move as you see fit.

I went to vote this morning at the Flat Community Center in Coryell County. Handed the lady my LTC and it wouldn't scan into the computer. She asked for my driver's license which I responded the LTC is a state ID and approved form of ID. I don't know if she couldn't look up my name and address or what but I just gave her my DL.

Is this a problem with the state computers? Why have LTC listed as an approved method when you walk in the polling place if you cant' use it? I was going to file a complaint but I did not get the lady's name. It appears I'm in Coryell County Precinct 3 but I have no other information that is asked for on the complaint form.

I love my new living location but I liked the paper ballots and printed voter list in Bosque County better.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Post by ELB »

It's been awhile since I was an election judge or clerk, but I don't see why she could not have typed in your name etc if it didn't scan to bring up your voter registration info. The LTC is certainly on the list of approved photo ID to vote.

Were it me I would call the Election Board of your county (254-248-3144), or go in person, but you could also call the Secretary of State at 1-800-252-VOTE. Even if they can't figure out which clerk checked you in, they can at least do better training in the future.
USAF 1982-2005

auggie mathis
Posts in topic: 1

Post by auggie mathis »

When I voted in fort bend county I was able to use my LTC . It would not scan but they were able to look it up

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Also in Coryell County (Copperas Cove), clerk stated that LTC would not scan so MUST use DL. That was in early voting.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

:lol: It is probably because you are not a Democrat!
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I’m working the polls again this year, as I always do.

The machine will scan the DL, but the LTC, DL, Passport, or any of a number of forms of ID are accepted. We’ve had an unusually large number of passports used this year.

As far as telling someone that they MUST use a DL, that is not allows. Sure, it makes it easier for us, but easy for us poll workers is not what it’s all about.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Poll workers are people and can simply be mistaken. I bet she just did not know any better.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

My LTC was accepted this morning, no problem. They just typed in my name in the search box and I appeared on their screen.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

I used my LTC in Liberal Austin with no issue.

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

ELB wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:02 am It's been awhile since I was an election judge or clerk, but I don't see why she could not have typed in your name etc if it didn't scan to bring up your voter registration info. The LTC is certainly on the list of approved photo ID to vote.

Were it me I would call the Election Board of your county (254-248-3144), or go in person, but you could also call the Secretary of State at 1-800-252-VOTE. Even if they can't figure out which clerk checked you in, they can at least do better training in the future.
I called the local number as the state number is busy. I don't have a warm feeling that my concern was that big of a concern to the gentleman on the phone but he did make the comment that she just did what was easy and that he will inform the Flat location about the issue.

I'm still thinking about contacting the state.
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 am Poll workers are people and can simply be mistaken. I bet she just did not know any better.
Nope, when I told her it was an approved form of ID, she said yes it is but it won't scan.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oljames3 »

I've used my Texas CHL and then my LTC at the polls since 2013. Often does not scan, but has always been accepted. Once or twice I was asked if I had anything else. Responded "Yes, but the CHL/LTC is what you will use."
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I used my LTC. It wouldn't scan but the lady just typed in the info and all was good.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

As noted, LTC doesn't seem to scan. So you are the reason the line was slower. Just kidding.

Is there some kind of bragging right to using the LTC?

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oljames3 »

rotor wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:30 pm As noted, LTC doesn't seem to scan. So you are the reason the line was slower. Just kidding.

No, no bragging rights.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

rotor wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:30 pm As noted, LTC doesn't seem to scan. So you are the reason the line was slower. Just kidding.

Yep, there were 5 voting booths there and counting me, only 2 were being used at 7:30 this morning. One of the privileges of living in the middle of nowhere.

Return to “Off-Topic”