LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Post by Flightmare »

LucasMcCain wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 pm I use my LTC as ID pretty much any time I can. It's good to let people know that the friendly, polite, normal person they are talking to is a progun person. The only way we can make good impressions for the progun community and try to challenge the narrative being pushed by the leftists is if people know who we are. Using your LTC for ID is a simple, common, non-confrontational way to do this.

This idea that "anyone who draws any attention to the fact that they carry a gun is just out for attention" is small-minded, and perpetuating it is damaging to our cause. If you don't feel comfortable with people knowing you carry, that's fine. You do you. However, shaming people for making a different decision because they actually care enough to put themselves out there a little to try to help the cause is wrong. They're doing what you won't to try to change hearts and minds and affect public perception.
Amen! I see people use their LTC as ID when they come to take ham license exams. I have given them a 2nd amendment challenge coin I have given people on the forum at breakfast. The goal is to show that LTCs are friendly and not the jerks that the antis try to portray us to be. That is what helps our cause.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

LucasMcCain wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 pm I use my LTC as ID pretty much any time I can. It's good to let people know that the friendly, polite, normal person they are talking to is a progun person. The only way we can make good impressions for the progun community and try to challenge the narrative being pushed by the leftists is if people know who we are. Using your LTC for ID is a simple, common, non-confrontational way to do this.

This idea that "anyone who draws any attention to the fact that they carry a gun is just out for attention" is small-minded, and perpetuating it is damaging to our cause. If you don't feel comfortable with people knowing you carry, that's fine. You do you. However, shaming people for making a different decision because they actually care enough to put themselves out there a little to try to help the cause is wrong. They're doing what you won't to try to change hearts and minds and affect public perception.
So, do you open carry most of the time?

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oljames3 »

:iagree:
As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. You do you, and I will continue to do me.

Be calm and carry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cyphertext »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. You do you, and I will continue to do me.

Be calm and carry.
"Once or twice I was asked if I had anything else. Responded "Yes, but the CHL/LTC is what you will use."... Is that how you show the person that you are a "friendly, polite, normal person"?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

cyphertext wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Be calm and carry.
"Once or twice I was asked if I had anything else. Responded "Yes, but the CHL/LTC is what you will use."... Is that how you show the person that you are a "friendly, polite, normal person"?
Yes, indeed, it is.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Be calm and carry.
Yes, indeed, it is.
Guess our views differ... I see you being difficult for an election worker. Wouldn't say that is a great representation. Now, if you tried using the LTC and it wouldn't scan, but politely offered your driver's license afterwards, then I could see it more. But to tell them "Yes, but the CHL/LTC is what you will use" is just trying to put them in their place.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It is pure fantasy to think showing a LTC somehow helps any cause. People are simply not thinking that hard about the issue.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

cyphertext wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Be calm and carry.
Yes, indeed, it is.
Guess our views differ... I see you being difficult for an election worker. Wouldn't say that is a great representation. Now, if you tried using the LTC and it wouldn't scan, but politely offered your driver's license afterwards, then I could see it more. But to tell them "Yes, but the CHL/LTC is what you will use" is just trying to put them in their place.
It really isn't much of an impact to present an non-scan ID. We had a passport and a military ID. Lookup, at least in Denton County, is quick and pretty easy. We spent a lot more time than that for more than 20% of the people who were at the wrong polling place. My belief is that if the ID type is on our list, we should accept it if that is what is presented. My job as an election worker is not to take the easiest path but to try to be as accommodating as possible. Others might approach the situation differently. I want to people to vote and want to do everything that I can to make that possible, assuming that they are eligible to vote.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Be calm and carry.
Yes, indeed, it is.
Agreeing to disagree.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

rotor wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 pm

So, do you open carry most of the time?
I do. There are times that I choose to conceal, such as at church or in businesses that don't post signs but are known to be antigun. Most of the time I open carry, for the same reasons I referenced. I have thus far had no particularly negative contacts. I have had a ton of positive ones, including some with people that clearly didn't know much about gun laws or carrying and were not decided on their opinion of guns in general. I have really enjoyed being an ambassador for gun rights and the progun movement. I know it's not for everybody, and it certainly requires a higher degree of situational awareness when out and about, but I have found it to be effective and enjoyable.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Be calm and carry.
Yes, indeed, it is.
It really isn't much of an impact to present an non-scan ID. We had a passport and a military ID. Lookup, at least in Denton County, is quick and pretty easy. We spent a lot more time than that for more than 20% of the people who were at the wrong polling place. My belief is that if the ID type is on our list, we should accept it if that is what is presented. My job as an election worker is not to take the easiest path but to try to be as accommodating as possible. Others might approach the situation differently. I want to people to vote and want to do everything that I can to make that possible, assuming that they are eligible to vote.
I agree, if it is on the list it should be accepted... However, I'm going to lead with my Texas driver's license, as that is more than likely going to scan. If I have a pocketful of id's that are acceptable, but one allows the process to move with automation and be a little more smoothly than the others, then that is what I will use. I'm there to vote, not show the election official that I am a gun person... my ballot will show that!

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Be calm and carry.
To be clear, that was not me. So no, that is not how I would show the person that I am a friendly, polite, normal person. I would either have given them my DL at that point or seen it as a teachable moment and talked through the issue. I would probably get someone else to come over and help them learn how to use the LTC so that the next person who came in with one would not have issues. I would do this while using a friendly and congenial tone, probably making a joke or two to let them know I wasn't annoyed or impatient. That's how I would want to be treated, so that's how I would treat them. Having that attitude in general will tend to make your life and the lives of those with whom you come into contact a lot more pleasant.

Let's go Brandon.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm It is pure fantasy to think showing a LTC somehow helps any cause. People are simply not thinking that hard about the issue.
Considering how many times doing so has lead to positive conversations with people that were thinking of getting a gun for protection or applying for their LTC, I disagree.

I had one in particular that was a petite young woman who had just moved to the area and was concerned about living alone. It took her a minute to realize what my CHL (at the time) even was. When she did, she told me her situation and asked if I could wait a minute, as she was due for a break. I said sure, and she took her break and presented the flood of questions that most people who are new to guns have. Where to go, what to get, how to shop, ranges, holsters, laws, etc. I answered her questions and strongly encouraged her to pursue it and follow through. I never saw her again, but I made an impact on her. I left an impression on her of what progun people are like and the importance of taking responsibility for one's own safety. That conversation never would have happened if I had used my DL to buy a six pack of Shiner.

Let's go Brandon.

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBR »

I had pulled my LTC out and was going to use it but then they never asked for any id. Just took my voter card and that was it. Never seen them ask anyone for id while was there and voting.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LucasMcCain wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:21 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm It is pure fantasy to think showing a LTC somehow helps any cause. People are simply not thinking that hard about the issue.
Considering how many times doing so has lead to positive conversations with people that were thinking of getting a gun for protection or applying for their LTC, I disagree.

I had one in particular that was a petite young woman who had just moved to the area and was concerned about living alone. It took her a minute to realize what my CHL (at the time) even was. When she did, she told me her situation and asked if I could wait a minute, as she was due for a break. I said sure, and she took her break and presented the flood of questions that most people who are new to guns have. Where to go, what to get, how to shop, ranges, holsters, laws, etc. I answered her questions and strongly encouraged her to pursue it and follow through. I never saw her again, but I made an impact on her. I left an impression on her of what progun people are like and the importance of taking responsibility for one's own safety. That conversation never would have happened if I had used my DL to buy a six pack of Shiner.
That actually makes the point. The folks you mention were already of a mindset to get a ltc. Most people are not impressed in the least and I have yet met anyone who needed to be convinced that an LTC means law abiding citizen. Most, who even know it exists, would assume one must be law abiding to get an LTC. When working from a cocoon such as many of us live in, we tend to think it means something. It actually does not.

Return to “Off-Topic”