Las Vegas Tower Controller suffers a stroke

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Las Vegas Tower Controller suffers a stroke

Post by howdy »

Very disturbing radio transmissions of the tower controller who is experiencing a stroke while on duty. We can learn from this.

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Las Vegas Tower Controller suffers a stroke

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent ,sad I heard on the TODAY SHOW she been fired!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

howdy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm We can learn from this.
Reason #3,461 not to fly unless absolutely necessary?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Despite big-budget Hollywood films' depictions of plane crashes, flying is actually the safest mode of transportation. In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000.Aug 2, 2017

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I have not seen anything else that says it was a stroke but she has left the FAA. From the Los Vegas Review Journal, earlier today:
"A representative of the agency didn’t say Monday whether the controller resigned or was fired nor whether its investigation of the incident has been concluded, citing privacy concerns.

The FAA said Friday there were no safety events or losses of required separation between aircraft during the incident between 11:09 and 11:50 p.m. Wednesday, when the female controller began slurring words, gave incoherent commands to pilots, began coughing, then went silent.

FAA officials declined comment on whether they believed the controller suffered a medical emergency, but paramedics were dispatched to the tower when the incident was reported Wednesday."
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

G26ster wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:33 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Despite big-budget Hollywood films' depictions of plane crashes, flying is actually the safest mode of transportation. In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000.Aug 2, 2017
I know the stats. The other 3,460 reasons are poor customer service, baggage handling and TSA agents! From listening to the audio its apparent to me the professionalism of the pilots was instrumental (no pun intended) in avoiding potential disaster.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm
I know the stats. The other 3,460 reasons are poor customer service, baggage handling and TSA agents! From listening to the audio its apparent to me the professionalism of the pilots was instrumental (no pun intended) in avoiding potential disaster.
Can't argue with your 3460 reasons, but this thread appeared to be about safety and not about the other 3460 reasons you cited. If it is about those, ignore my input.

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

As the OP I was referring to stroke symptoms. I am a retired Delta pilot and I can assure you the Pilots were going to do NOTHING without clear instructions from the tower/ground control. There is certain phraseology that is required to make everything legal. We live in a litigious society that requires all T's be crossed and I's dotted. We could not say "Check" if the checklist read "Checked". That is why the pilots were requiring the Controller to say certain phrases a certain way. No one moves unless it is done right. That is why the system is so safe. That is why some airline employees and passengers think Pilots are pompous jerks. (some are) We have to have it perfect because our job and maybe our lives depend on it. You don't have a 30+ year career doing dumb things.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

So, was the controller at fault for not recognizing her medical emergency? Does a stroke victim understand what is going on, or at least know that it's time to call may-day? If anyone should, it should be a controller, but I don't know the regimen.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

bbhack wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 pm So, was the controller at fault for not recognizing her medical emergency? Does a stroke victim understand what is going on, or at least know that it's time to call may-day? If anyone should, it should be a controller, but I don't know the regimen.
When my wife had a stroke (TIA), she thought she was fine. Her sluring, etc. was my alert to get help. Same with my boss, he was standing outside in front of the building smoking a cigarette. When I talked to him, his responses were complete babble. I called another worker outside, and we agreed to call for help. So, I'm not sure that a person recognizes they are having a stroke. At least not immediately.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

G26ster wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 pm When my wife had a stroke (TIA), she thought she was fine. Her sluring, etc. was my alert to get help. Same with my boss, he was
I've heard this many times. If she was separated, it was probably not from fault. I can see how she could never return to work as a controller, although there are other positions that would be OK.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

bbhack wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm
G26ster wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 pm When my wife had a stroke (TIA), she thought she was fine. Her sluring, etc. was my alert to get help. Same with my boss, he was
I've heard this many times. If she was separated, it was probably not from fault. I can see how she could never return to work as a controller, although there are other positions that would be OK.
Obviously her age has not been disclosed, but since strokes are much more likely the further advanced in age you are a mutual separation may have been agreed upon.

I haven't seen a link where she said she was fired?

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/inca ... 25525/amp/

They don't indicate it was voluntary or not - but would your first impulse be to resign after a medical emergency? I think leave would appropriate, even if there was no chance she would ever return to the tower. I think the FAA may be managing optics, which is OK, just seems different.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

bbhack wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:51 pm https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/inca ... 25525/amp/

They don't indicate it was voluntary or not - but would your first impulse be to resign after a medical emergency? I think leave would appropriate, even if there was no chance she would ever return to the tower. I think the FAA may be managing optics, which is OK, just seems different.
A representative of the agency didn’t say Monday whether the controller resigned or was fired nor whether its investigation of the incident has been concluded, citing privacy concerns.
Its quite possible she simple decided it was time to retire anyway. Either way is speculation.

Best of luck to her! It seems the built-in system safeties overcame one of the worst possible cases of system failure (unrecognized human failure). The other worst-case system failures being equipment failures and negligence/intentional human failure.

Kudos to the pilots for sticking to the requirements and not making a 'guess' about what was meant (that lesson was learned at Tenerife and fortunately the applications from that lesson helped keep this problem for spiraling out of control).

Return to “Off-Topic”