Lion Air Flight Data Recorder Simulation of Crash

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Lion Air Flight Data Recorder Simulation of Crash

Post by howdy »

This is the last 140 seconds prior to the aircraft impacting the water. This was feed into a simulator and this is the result.

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lion Air Flight Data Recorder Simulation of Crash

Post by rotor »

Hard to interpret anything. Sudden noseover. Stall? Forceful suicide dive? No airspeed listed. This by itself as a video without numerical data doesn't help.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Forceful suicide dive to me. But I know nothing.

Seems to return to normal flight, like on auto pilot after each sudden dive. Fighting in cockpit?

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

This was a flight computer malfunction. Boeing failed to tell the operator's that the 737Max had this computer installed. The pilots had no control of the plane. This is not going to go well for Boeing.
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Wow! That wasn't just a nose over. If I'm looking at that correctly, it was inverted.

Anyone else ever watch the television show about Air Disasters? I think I remember one of them being similar to this, except for being inverted, being due to the auto-pilot altitude being set at zero feet. When the pilots engaged it the plane did not have enough altitude to recover from the steep power nose dive.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

As a frequent flyer, that recreation made my stomach turn.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

How is it that this is the first time I'm hearing of this crash? 189 pax + crew is a lot of people, and yet I heard nothing about it on the news.....which may be my fault since I've been kind of avoiding it for a while now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 pm How is it that this is the first time I'm hearing of this crash? 189 pax + crew is a lot of people, and yet I heard nothing about it on the news.....which may be my fault since I've been kind of avoiding it for a while now.
It was big news for a couple of days. They found the wreckage pretty quick and then the fires started in Cali and the news moved on to those.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:24 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 pm How is it that this is the first time I'm hearing of this crash? 189 pax + crew is a lot of people, and yet I heard nothing about it on the news.....which may be my fault since I've been kind of avoiding it for a while now.
It was big news for a couple of days. They found the wreckage pretty quick and then the fires started in Cali and the news moved on to those.
Also it was in Indonesia. It probably got more coverage locally and regionally, lika a plane crash in Montana would get more coverage in the United States than in Asia.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:51 pm Anyone else ever watch the television show about Air Disasters? I think I remember one of them being similar to this, except for being inverted, being due to the auto-pilot altitude being set at zero feet. When the pilots engaged it the plane did not have enough altitude to recover from the steep power nose dive.
I never missed an episode. I find it fascinating that the NTSB investigators can ever determine what caused most crashes. People who know I'm a pilot (well, I used to fly) can't believe I'm interested in such programs, but they are educational. It's like reading/watching AOPA's Safety Foundation accident reviews.

I recall the episode you mentioned.

If howdy hadn't posted about the flight computer, I would have guessed it was two pilots fighting over the controls with the suicidal one winning. That happen on a FedEx flight, but the good guys one.
Chas.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

howdy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm This was a flight computer malfunction. Boeing failed to tell the operator's that the 737Max had this computer installed. The pilots had no control of the plane. This is not going to go well for Boeing.
I work on aircraft avionics systems, as well as doing some mechanic duties, for a living. As soon as I saw the first un-commanded pitch incident, I immediately thought "autopilot or flight control system". So, you're saying this is a known issue? Wow, messed up in the extreme. I'm surprised there hasn't been an AD issued by the FAA, or a SB from Boeing.

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

Here is an article about the crash.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/worl ... h-610.html

"The Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday issued an emergency airworthiness directive saying analysis done by Boeing showed if an “erroneously high” angle of attack sensor reading was fed into the flight control system, it could cause the plane to dive, make it difficult for the crew to control the airplane and lead to “impact with terrain.”
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don’t think there has been any determination of a cause for this flight yet.

That Air Disaster show is very interesting.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

The preliminary conclusion was that the anti-stall malfunctioned and forced the nose down in an attempt to "prevent a stall". Obviously it was malfunctioning as the plane was not at a steep angle of attack to the horizon and had decent airspeed.

The computer forced the plane to go back to 'level' or dive to increase airspeed and prevent a stall, but really just dove the plane into the drink...

Most recent info on cause:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... air-crash/
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/18/americas ... index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/worl ... h-610.html
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayor

Post by mayor »

Just one more reason on my list for not flying - ever.

Return to “Off-Topic”