Deer woods in the AM

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Deer woods in the AM

#1

Post by cmgee67 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Welp boys and girls, tomorrow marks the first deer hunt for me of 2018. Hoping to harvest a good deer tomorrow or do some predator control. Just whatever happens to show it’s snout first. I will hunt the AM then go eat lunch and come back and sit until dark. Gonna be hunting with my 300 blackout pistol 8.5” barrel, shooting Winchester deer season xp 150 grain ballistic tips. If your looking for a round that will do a fantastic job on game or personal defense I highly recommend it. I was able to keep a nickel sized group at 50 yards when sighting it in the other day. For 300 blackout that’s good and for me even better. I’m comfortable taking shots out to 200 with that load but luckily my farthest shot from my blind is about 85 yards. I will keep y’all posted on how this season goes. I haven’t deer hunted in years do to my duck hunting obsession. This is like Christmas Eve to me. Can’t wait. If any of y’all are goin tomorrow good luck God bless and stay safe


Greybeard
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2328
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: Denton County
Contact:

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#2

Post by Greybeard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm

That sounds like a good time. Rut should be in high gear about now.

I got to go opening weekend and have not had a break to go back. On Sunday morning I was sitting near a corner fence line watching for a buck I had seen in heavy cover about 200 yards away at dusk the prior evening, My brother took a shot about 1/2 mile from where I was set up. The noise of his '06 on that calm cold morning spooked a coyote that had been bedded down in that same cover I had been watching. It came trotting my way. I had my scope cranked up to max 32X to be able to identify desired details on any deer. At around 100 yards the song dog just about filled up the whole recticle. My '06 with one of those Winchester 165 grain ballistic tips promptly ruined its day. I would not have been any happier if I had shot a 12 point.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"
24/7 Independent Practice Plans for local LEOs and Texas CHL holders


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#3

Post by cmgee67 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Great job ! Love to hear huntin stories

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#4

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:20 am

i almost had an unexpected deer hunt yesterday morning. driving to work at 3:30am a huge buck jumped out in front of me on the road and i almost hit him. I swear the hair on his tail brushed up against the side of my truck. thats how close it was... he was at least a 7 point
Image
NRA Member


Greybeard
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2328
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: Denton County
Contact:

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#5

Post by Greybeard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 am

Greybeard wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm
That sounds like a good time. Rut should be in high gear about now.

I got to go opening weekend and have not had a break to go back. On Sunday morning I was sitting near a corner fence line watching for a buck I had seen in heavy cover about 200 yards away at dusk the prior evening, My brother took a shot about 1/2 mile from where I was set up. The noise of his '06 on that calm cold morning spooked a coyote that had been bedded down in that same cover I had been watching. It came trotting my way. I had my scope cranked up to max 32X to be able to identify desired details on any deer. At around 100 yards the song dog just about filled up the whole reticle. My '06 with one of those Winchester 165 grain ballistic tips promptly ruined its day. I would not have been any happier if I had shot a 12 point.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"
24/7 Independent Practice Plans for local LEOs and Texas CHL holders


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2720
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#6

Post by flechero » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am

cmgee67 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 pm
Welp boys and girls, tomorrow marks the first deer hunt for me of 2018. Hoping to harvest a good deer tomorrow or do some predator control. Just whatever happens to show it’s snout first. I will hunt the AM then go eat lunch and come back and sit until dark. Gonna be hunting with my 300 blackout pistol 8.5” barrel, shooting Winchester deer season xp 150 grain ballistic tips. If your looking for a round that will do a fantastic job on game or personal defense I highly recommend it. I was able to keep a nickel sized group at 50 yards when sighting it in the other day. For 300 blackout that’s good and for me even better. I’m comfortable taking shots out to 200 with that load but luckily my farthest shot from my blind is about 85 yards. I will keep y’all posted on how this season goes. I haven’t deer hunted in years do to my duck hunting obsession. This is like Christmas Eve to me. Can’t wait. If any of y’all are goin tomorrow good luck God bless and stay safe

I hope you are seeing lots of action... I set up this AM looking for a coyote. Instead I watched bucks chase does for over an hour. Great consolation prize!


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#7

Post by cmgee67 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:46 am

Saw four does and a little buck chasing one. I had a Mexican standoff with a skunk that was standing on my 2x12 board I have layed across the creek to get to the other side. Had to let him make his slooooowww merry way to the other side. Overall a good morning to be out there in the woods. It was 50 when I got to the blind and 42 when I left. Goin back this afternoon after a nap

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#8

Post by JustSomeOldGuy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:58 am

Default rule of the trail; skunks have the right of way......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver


RicoTX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#9

Post by RicoTX » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 pm

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:58 am
Default rule of the trail; skunks have the right of way......
:iagree:
Always!
I even talk to them... better to be friendly you know!
Good Day Mr. Skunk, take your time. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Deer woods in the AM

#10

Post by cmgee67 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 pm

I didn’t know you spoke skunkanese maybe I can call you next time and put you on speaker!

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”