Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

Post by 74novaman »

Abraham wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am 74novaman,

Are you from someplace in Africa?

The only mention of 'biltong' I've seen were all located there.

How long do you let it dry and do you use cheese cloth to keep the flys off or ...?

Thanks!
Nope, I just like trying different foods.

I built a sealed box with air holes covered wish mesh, and a fan to keep the air moving that I hung the meat in to dry. I cut those pieces at 4 days, and I've got a few more to cut today.
TANSTAAFL

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I've had Parisa a few times and really like it. But I've only eaten it from meat markets I know and trust.
http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2012/08/dzu ... arket.html

I've had Dzuik's, it was the first one I tried. The owner is a friend of a friend. And he brought some to my friend's birthday party.

I think of it like Beef Ceviche.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Deltaboy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 am Yes I had Beef tar tar. But also ate Chitlins, Rabbit, Squirrel, Racoon , Beaver, and Musrat!
I guess you really are a Deltaboy! :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Deltaboy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 am Yes I had Beef tar tar. But also ate Chitlins, Rabbit, Squirrel, Racoon , Beaver, and Musrat!
Never had Muskrat. But I've had the rest. Squirrel is my favorite breakfast meat. Rabbit and dumplins beat chicken and dumplins any day. And Racoon is delicious cooked as a roast with potatoes and carrots, or bbq'd. I've heard it's great with sweet potatoes too, but haven't had it that way yet.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Beef carpaccio with capers, sea salt, ground pepper, arugula and a small drizzle of oil and red wine vinegar. Eat immediately.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

WildBill wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm
Yes Born in Little Rock , Raised on a Bayou, and the White River in Eastern Arkansas.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

Saw on the news tonight 100,000 pounds ground beef recalled. E. coli.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Beiruty wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:20 pm In Lebanon we have a special dish of raw meat (usually lamb ribeye). It is pounded in a carved rock. Then, seasoned with non-hot spices and some Mentha longifolia (horse mint), called Habak in Lebanon.
It is made immediately after the animal is slaughtered. Usually, the early morning of a Holiday.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh_nayyeh

I would not have expected that with lamb! As far as beef goes I like my steaks very rare and I've had Steak Tartare on several occasions.
Remember, when i was growing up we drank from a hose and occasionally ate mud and sand, among many, MANY other things (see DeltaBoy's post). My immune systems is probably much stronger than today's youths'.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Turns out, Romaine lettuce is dangerous.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

Maxwell wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:07 am
Beiruty wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:20 pm In Lebanon we have a special dish of raw meat (usually lamb ribeye). It is pounded in a carved rock. Then, seasoned with non-hot spices and some Mentha longifolia (horse mint), called Habak in Lebanon.
It is made immediately after the animal is slaughtered. Usually, the early morning of a Holiday.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh_nayyeh

I would not have expected that with lamb! As far as beef goes I like my steaks very rare and I've had Steak Tartare on several occasions.
Remember, when i was growing up we drank from a hose and occasionally ate mud and sand, among many, MANY other things (see DeltaBoy's post). My immune systems is probably much stronger than today's youths'.
Maxwell,
I am certain, you can use beef (less fat) as well as lamb. The standard is the most tender red meat available. For some breed of lambs, its meat has gamey smell other do not.

Lebanese Shepherd milking his sheep.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Deltaboy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:17 pm
WildBill wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm
Yes Born in Little Rock , Raised on a Bayou, and the White River in Eastern Arkansas.
I was born in Newport Hospital. Lived in Cord as a kid, in the Black River bottoms.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am Turns out, Romaine lettuce is dangerous.
I came here to post a similar comment.
Ya beat me to it. :lol:

Grilled Romaine with Caesar dressing is pretty good though. ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 am Salmon is WAAAAAAY better-tasting uncooked. But, it's harder to find sushi-quality salmon since it's shipped refrigerated, not frozen. Asian groceries (H-Mart is awesome) have lots of fish (some of it still swimming) I'd eat uncooked. When I cook salmon at home, I only cook it to a point where the middle is warm, but still raw-colored. I find salmon that's been cooked through to be inedible.
TOTALLY agree! I’m almost disgusted by cooked salmon!! Love it raw! Just got back from a week in Japan...so many goodies!!

Love carpaccio and tartare (even had it at a trade show in Germany...not something I’d do in the USA!!).

Horse is quite tasty too!! Step outside your boundaries, explore, taste..!

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

After my parasitology class, I don’t eat anything uncooked.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

PUCKER wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:44 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 am Salmon is WAAAAAAY better-tasting uncooked. But, it's harder to find sushi-quality salmon since it's shipped refrigerated, not frozen. Asian groceries (H-Mart is awesome) have lots of fish (some of it still swimming) I'd eat uncooked. When I cook salmon at home, I only cook it to a point where the middle is warm, but still raw-colored. I find salmon that's been cooked through to be inedible.
TOTALLY agree! I’m almost disgusted by cooked salmon!! Love it raw! Just got back from a week in Japan...so many goodies!!

Love carpaccio and tartare (even had it at a trade show in Germany...not something I’d do in the USA!!).

Horse is quite tasty too!! Step outside your boundaries, explore, taste..!
In the US we don't eat domesticated animals and pets, at least not yet. So tell me PUCKER, do you also eat dog and cat? :shock:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”