Living without a 2nd Amendment

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Living without a 2nd Amendment

Post by philip964 »

https://www.quora.com/Whats-it-like-to- ... -amendment

New Zealand

“FTA: I live and work in South Auckland, New Zealand. One night, someone tried to break into my house. I called the cops. They asked if the intruder has already broken in. I said not yet but that’s why I’m calling them, so that it doesn’t come to that. Then the dispatcher told me to hang up and call again when the guy’s already in.

I couldn’t believe my ears. I told him that I wouldn’t have time for that. I have a wife and a four-year-old and if the man breaks in, I’ll be getting my claw-hammer. That’s when the police dispatcher’s bored tone changed. He said: “Don’t you dare do that! You do that, we’ll arrest you.”

Then he hung up on me.

Pull quote: "I guess in some cultures, it’s morally superior to be a victim… which is really sad."”

Comments are worthwhile to read.

cirus

Re: Living without a 2nd Amendment

Post by cirus »

As long as I can draw a breath ill have a 2nd amendment. No one is gonna take that away from me. Maybe my life but never my 2nd amendment.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The Second Amendment is simply an enumerated natural right. At is base, it is the right do defend oneself. While laws may (regrettably and unjustly) penalize defending yourself, it is still a natural right.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

Elections have consequences. So do revolutions.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I live two miles outside a small town in North Texas, if I dial 911 I expect the sheriff's deputy will take at least 20 min to arrive, my p14 1911 is on my night stand cocked and locked with a 14rd magazine beside it, my P12 is on the shelf of the TV stand that I have to pass on my way to the bedroom door, my AR15 is locked and loaded in my Reloading Room which is right off the bedroom, I take my personal security very serious! I cannot imagine not being able to defend myself and my family! When you are no longer able to defend yourself from criminals that is not civilization, that means society has descended into barbarism and are allowing the barbarians to run amok!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

We have Deputies on patrol in the neighborhood as well as in the area, and we have a DPS substation less than a mile from the house.

I still don't expect them to arrive in time to protect me or my family during any incident. No disrespect to them, they just can't be everywhere all the time.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

kayt00
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kayt00 »

Law enforcement is just that, enforcment of the law in a given moment of time. Beyond that they're there to investigate after a law has already been broken. In that instant the preservation of life and or limb is in your hands whether by exercising your 2A rights or otherwise, that choice is up to the individual. Be a victim and blame everything and everyone besides yourself, or stand up for yourself.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Allons

Post by Allons »

I will never depend on anyone to protect me, that is my job and I will not be a victim. No matter what I will never give up my guns.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

It is the police's responsibility to draw the chalk outline.

It is your responsibility to ensure it's not YOUR outline.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

kayt00
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kayt00 »

Pawpaw wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm It is the police's responsibility to draw the chalk outline.

It is your responsibility to ensure it's not YOUR outline.
:iagree: what i meant to say...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

The battle we are going to have to wage to keep our 2A rights could be much sooner than anyone realizes.....and perhaps bloodier than we realize. We have a sitting House member that spoke of nuking his own citizenry. Whether he was being flippant or not, using violence to disarm the populace is now in the vernacular.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Most of the posts from that link were from people in Europe who think they have nothing to fear from their government and if they let a home invader just take what they want, the home owner won't be harmed.
some English person:

The reason for this is because instead of dealing with our excellent non lethal police force which they might escape from or at the very least get a normal sentence for their crime, if they have or use a firearm they will have to deal with our absolutely phenomenal armed police force who not only are WAY better equipped than they are, but way better trained, and should they survive that encounter their sentence goes up considerably for their possession of an illegal weapon and possible use of it. It doesn’t make sense for them to increase the risk to themselves and increase the potential consequences also
A French person who clearly doesn't remember what has happened in that country recently:

I live in France-and since we have a well armed police force and army we have no need of anything else. If I were to find an intruder in my house, assuming I had time to reach my phone, I know that the local gendarmerie would be with me very quickly. It would be extremely unlikely that such an intruder would be armed
Me, I could care less what people in other countries think about me owning a firearm or more. Last time I checked, we baled them out twice because they can't fight. There were even private citizens in the US sending their personal arms across the pond so the people could resist an invasion.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

That whole thing goes directly to the heart of why elites the world over hate Americans, our nation, and our Constitution. Why is that? Because Americans are "arrogant" enough to believe that they have an in-born right to protect their lives, their loved ones, and perhaps even their property using an amount of force necessary to the task at hand. Most people around the world, even if not given the title, are mere subjects of some ruling elite. Americans are citizens, and that's all the difference in the world.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

Great Britain’s Last-Ditch Weapons
After Dunkirk, the British were desperate for small arms

When 338,000 Allied troops evacuated Dunkirk, they left behind a massive amount of equipment — hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition, 11,000 machine guns, 2,500 artillery pieces, 650 tanks and 65,000 assorted vehicles.

This huge loss of equipment left Britain with only enough vehicles and heavy weapons to properly equip two full-strength divisions — approximately 15,000 men.
There were acute shortages of rifles in both 1914 and 1940 - meaning that some training had to be carried out with dummies.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:42 am That whole thing goes directly to the heart of why elites the world over hate Americans, our nation, and our Constitution. Why is that? Because Americans are "arrogant" enough to believe that they have an in-born right to protect their lives, their loved ones, and perhaps even their property using an amount of force necessary to the task at hand. Most people around the world, even if not given the title, are mere subjects of some ruling elite. Americans are citizens, and that's all the difference in the world.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Off-Topic”