Residential Security Door Suggestions?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
McKnife
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Houston

Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#1

Post by McKnife » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm getting tired of seeing all the break-ins and home invasions in Houston, so I am looking to replace my residential doors and frames with something more secure and reinforced.

Not worried about windows... they're already sufficiently hardened.

Suggestions in models, brands, and/or companies to use???

:txflag:
I have nothing to hide but I never give consent.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - B. Franklin


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#2

Post by strogg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:28 pm

I can't speak to the type of door per se (other than to use steel), but what I can tell you is that you need to make sure you're using long screws to get the door hinges deep into the 2x4s. You'll want to do the same with the strike plates. As for the lock, I personally use Mul-T-Lock. Their Hercular deadbolt has ball bearings on the bolt that keeps it inside the strike plate unless the bolt is retracted by the thumbturn or key. The bolt is fully hardened, so there's no easy way to get through that. The strike plate is also fully hardened. My favorite part is the key. It has this mini springy thing on it that prevents anyone from copying or making an impression without having a factory blank. That will keep all but the most determined of thieves out. And if you do attract those determined of thieves... well... you may have made some wrong choices in life.

If you're on a budget, there are plenty of other locks that are hardened like the Mul-T-Lock. I recommend you go to a high quality locksmith. They'll be able to help you out. I also recommend you stay away from smart locks. They're shiny and full of gizmo features, but they're not as secure as manufacturers make them out to be.

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#3

Post by PriestTheRunner » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Go for a solid wooden door or steel door with 10-gauge interior channels, foam filled.

Standard pivot hinges and hardware is fine, just reinforce your door jambs and hinges with this kit:


I know typically we should post links, but it seems relevant to your questions. I have bought these myself and I highly recommend them. The screws included are 4"+ in length. Square tip bit is included (to help with driving that darn thing in the wall). You'll want a bit driver or really good drill, preferably with a hammer setting.

Fantastic product. If you don't want to change your current door, just adding these should do quite well. It also has multiple spots in case you have triple locks instead of the standard deadbolt and knob.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#4

Post by warnmar10 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Image

User avatar

Teamless
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#5

Post by Teamless » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Copied from Lowe’s App, not sure how it will paste (link or not)
This is what we have used for a long time


Secure Elegance White Full-View Aluminum Storm Door (Common: 36-in 81-in; Actual: 35.75-in x 79.75-in) https://www.lowes.com/pd/Secure-Eleganc ... )/50374916
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9744
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#6

Post by carlson1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:32 pm

I installed these on my outside doors and my bedroom door. Was pretty simple to install. Of course no one has tried to kick the doors, but it makes me feel better.

https://doordevil.com
Image


PBratton
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1370
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Texas

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#7

Post by PBratton » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Armor Concepts. Look at their website. Lowe’s carries them as well.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor
NFA dealer.


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#8

Post by mrvmax » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Buy front doors that open outward, this prevents them being kicked in. Also use non removal hinge pins so the pins can’t be pulled from the outside unless the door is open. Use long screws to secure the door.

User avatar

bbhack
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: San Antonio Area

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#9

Post by bbhack » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:13 pm

mrvmax wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Buy front doors that open outward, this prevents them being kicked in. Also use non removal hinge pins so the pins can’t be pulled from the outside unless the door is open. Use long screws to secure the door.
Or install glass or wrought iron "screen" doors, if the architecture and aesthetics allow.
No Trespassing Violators Will Be Prosecuted


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#10

Post by WTR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 am

mrvmax wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Buy front doors that open outward, this prevents them being kicked in. Also use non removal hinge pins so the pins can’t be pulled from the outside unless the door is open. Use long screws to secure the door.
You can get hinge pins which have a set screw on the inside. One of the simplistic ideas is to use one of the poles which go from the door knob to the flooor at an angle .....surpriseingly effective.....don’t kid your self though, doing a lot of demo work has shown me I can get through most entrance very quickly if I want to, don’t care about noise and have the proper hand tools.

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#11

Post by Jago668 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Wish I could get a door with 1/4" plate steel on the front face. That'd be amusing.
NRA Benefactor Member


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#12

Post by WTR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Jago668 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Wish I could get a door with 1/4" plate steel on the front face. That'd be amusing.
You can purchase a bulletin resistant door. I’ve installed them on variorum Fed. Agency Offices. You will also need 4 pair of ball bearing butts and a stout frame. By the way, they are heavy as heck, you will need some help.

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#13

Post by Jago668 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm

WTR wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm
Jago668 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Wish I could get a door with 1/4" plate steel on the front face. That'd be amusing.
You can purchase a bulletin resistant door. I’ve installed them on variorum Fed. Agency Offices. You will also need 4 pair of ball bearing butts and a stout frame. By the way, they are heavy as heck, you will need some help.
I know. Was just imagining someone trying to sledge hammer a giant steel plate down.
NRA Benefactor Member


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#14

Post by WTR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Jago668 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm
WTR wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm
Jago668 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Wish I could get a door with 1/4" plate steel on the front face. That'd be amusing.
You can purchase a bulletin resistant door. I’ve installed them on variorum Fed. Agency Offices. You will also need 4 pair of ball bearing butts and a stout frame. By the way, they are heavy as heck, you will need some help.
I know. Was just imagining someone trying to sledge hammer a giant steel plate down.
You should worry more about points of attachment to the frame than the make up of the door.


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#15

Post by mrvmax » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:11 pm

WTR wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 am
mrvmax wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Buy front doors that open outward, this prevents them being kicked in. Also use non removal hinge pins so the pins can’t be pulled from the outside unless the door is open. Use long screws to secure the door.
You can get hinge pins which have a set screw on the inside. One of the simplistic ideas is to use one of the poles which go from the door knob to the flooor at an angle .....surpriseingly effective.....don’t kid your self though, doing a lot of demo work has shown me I can get through most entrance very quickly if I want to, don’t care about noise and have the proper hand tools.
All I need is something to slow them down, by the time they’re in I’ll be ready. Even with power tools it will give me time to get prepared.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”