Residential Security Door Suggestions?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1556
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#16

Post by TreyHouston » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 pm

carlson1 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:32 pm
I installed these on my outside doors and my bedroom door. Was pretty simple to install. Of course no one has tried to kick the doors, but it makes me feel better.

https://doordevil.com
Thats what i have on all 3 doors and i HAVE triedbto kicknit in. WOW! They work. Can the bad guy then break a double pane window right next to the door? YES, but after kicking the door a few times, I either have my gun or am not at home. The 20 second warning is all I need.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


Medley86
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:47 am

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#17

Post by Medley86 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Outswing is a terrible idea. When no one is home a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel and about 2 minutes and you have the hinges cut off and you are in the house.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#18

Post by strogg » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Well, now if people are talking about breaking in with power tools....


User avatar

Skooter
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#19

Post by Skooter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 am

.
I’m not a big fan of “out-swing” doors.
  • To open the door, you’ll be forced to cross the threshold and risk further exposure
  • It give BG’s a potential place to hide behind when opening the door.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

User avatar

bbhack
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: San Antonio Area

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#20

Post by bbhack » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 am

Skooter wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 am
.
I’m not a big fan of “out-swing” doors.
  • To open the door, you’ll be forced to cross the threshold and risk further exposure
  • It give BG’s a potential place to hide behind when opening the door.
More reasons to have a sturdy glass out-swing. Had not thought of that.
No Trespassing Violators Will Be Prosecuted


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1697
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#21

Post by mrvmax » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 am

Medley86 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Outswing is a terrible idea. When no one is home a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel and about 2 minutes and you have the hinges cut off and you are in the house.
When you’re not home they could kick in an Inswinging door in 5 seconds so what’s your point? Besides, I’ve yet to read a news story where thieves were using cordless grinders. It may be the thing where you live but I’ve been reading my city crime blotter for years and I’ve yet to see that. No solution will work 100% of the time and you need layers of security (i.e. secure door, good lighting at night, alarm system, cameras etc.).


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1697
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#22

Post by mrvmax » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 am

Skooter wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 am
.
I’m not a big fan of “out-swing” doors.
  • To open the door, you’ll be forced to cross the threshold and risk further exposure
  • It give BG’s a potential place to hide behind when opening the door.
I don’t need to cross any threshold to open my door and I’ve got a camera on my front door so there’s no place to hide. Like I already stated, no one solution is fool proof, if they want in bad enough they will get in. I’m mitigating a known means of entry that is well used and widespread- kicking in the front door.


Medley86
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:47 am

Re: Residential Security Door Suggestions?

#23

Post by Medley86 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:48 pm

mrvmax wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 am
Medley86 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Outswing is a terrible idea. When no one is home a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel and about 2 minutes and you have the hinges cut off and you are in the house.
When you’re not home they could kick in an Inswinging door in 5 seconds so what’s your point? Besides, I’ve yet to read a news story where thieves were using cordless grinders. It may be the thing where you live but I’ve been reading my city crime blotter for years and I’ve yet to see that. No solution will work 100% of the time and you need layers of security (i.e. secure door, good lighting at night, alarm system, cameras etc.).
To me it is just much easier to secure an in swing, I haven't heard of anyone cutting hinges off like that but it would be the most efficient way to get in one. Sticking a crowbar in at the pocket and prying the door and jamb apart until the deadbolt cleared and it opened would work just as well with no power tools. I totally agree layers is what is needed most of the time.

In the last 10 years I can recall exactly one home invasion while it was occupied. Where I live if someone is going to break in they are going to wait until you are gone.

I have thought about it some and one good way to reinforce a deadbolt would be to weld a piece of pipe to the back of the strike plate then hole saw through the studs behind the jamb and run the pipe into them so it would have more resistance to torquing. Then use long screws to hold it into the studs. That way even if they kick on it there is more than just a couple of screws to bend or break to free the deadbolt.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”