Here's another 'AI' that's watching for your gun

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Here's another 'AI' that's watching for your gun

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Ran across the following article,
https://securitytoday.com/articles/2019 ... egins.aspx
and was impressed by a couple of things.

First, the really crappy quality of the writing. All through my school career, I was dunned that anything even approximating journalism should contain "the 5 'W's and the 'H' (who, what, when, where, how, and why). Despite reading like a commercial, the article never identifies 'WHO' (company name or contact info) or 'HOW' (what the "ai" actually does). Googled around and found the company website. Apparently their 'ai software' is a pattern recognition algorithm run on your security camera data streams in real time, and a database of who/how the system is to notify if specific patterns trigger corresponding alert types.

The second thing I was impressed by was a combination of kneejerk "Orwell's Big Brother is Watching" and 'what does this mean for ltc'. And the answer to that is "if you are carrying concealed, then 'nothing'". If you are open carrying, I suspect that the system may still have trouble recognizing your firearm because of your holster. I also suspect that they get a lot of false positives from things like hot-glue guns and electric drills (both of which are common in k-12 settings).

The company's website is
https://athena-security.com/
and they appear to be based in Austin.

This looks to me to be no more than another 'feel good, appear to be doing something' product in search of you ISD's security budget dollars. And, thus endeth my rant for the day. ;-)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

tbrown

Re: Here's another 'AI' that's watching for your gun

Post by tbrown »

It would be nice if schools would pay attention to teaching arithmetic and grammatically correct English, but here''s another in a long line of reasons to pay as little property tax as possible.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

tbrown wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:46 pm Image

It would be nice if schools would pay attention to teaching arithmetic and grammatically correct English, but here''s another in a long line of reasons to pay as little property tax as possible.
I'm not real attracted to Glocks, but I would buy that one.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:35 pm

It’s ok anygun. We can’t all be perfect. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 am
anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:35 pm

It’s ok anygun. We can’t all be perfect. :mrgreen:
:smilelol5:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KLB

Post by KLB »

When you're writing about gun crime, maybe using "holdup" in a metaphorical sense isn't the best usage.
While Athena promises that its algorithms will keep prices down, the main holdup could be that the system has a hard time distinguishing between a real and fake gun, leading to unnecessary alarms.

Return to “Off-Topic”