Texas City Independent School District

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Texas City Independent School District

Post by carlson1 »

I haven’t seen this posted and found it interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iheart ... th-ar-15s/
....The schools will also be protected by resource officers who will have access to AR-15s. The rifles will be kept in a locked safe and only used in the event of an active shooter.

“These are the weapons we purchased for our deputies. I’m a firm believer that we fight firepower with superior firepower,” Matranga explained.

Mike S

Re: Texas City Independent School District

Post by Mike S »

Impressive.
“It’s not about the camera system. It’s not about the electronic locks. Though we’re doing that, it’s about investing in people," Matranga said, "and that’s the key.”

Skooter

Post by Skooter »

It’s a little disheartening that we must fortify our schools to ensure the safety of our children. Understandably times have changed, and this is the most likely the wave of the future. It’s just sad that it has come to this. Our whole society is changing due to the irresponsible actions of a handful of “nut-jobs.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

howdy

Post by howdy »

All for show. These shooting only last a few minutes. Some schools are shopping mall size. How fast can these guards run. Will they be running AWAY from the shooting to "retrieve a rifle". How fast can they unlock the vault. What if the shooting is taking place close to the vault. Again, all for show.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

I think the value of armed guards is schools.is vastly overrated. It takes just seconds for a shooter to kill a dozen kids. Modern urban schools, especially bigh schools can have 20, 30 or more buildings scattered around a campus. You going to have a commando in every building in full battle rattle? Yet hoplophobes act like have some guy over in Building 608B with a gun locked in a safe is going to protect everybody.
Last edited by Ruark on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ruark

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Ruark wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am I think the value of armed guards is schools.is vastly overrated. It takes just seconds for a shooter to kill a dozen kids. Modern urban schools, especially bigh schools can have 20, 30 or more buildings scattered around a campus. You going to have a commando in every building in full battle rattle? Yet hoplophobes act like have some guy over in Building 608B with a gun locked in a safe is going to protect everybody.
There, fixed it for you. I’ll sure it was just auto-correct. :thumbs2:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

It is disheartening, and maybe not as effective as we hope, but, what's more disheartening, is having a bunch of kids die, while waiting for the police to arrive 5-10 minutes later. While having AR 15s in a safe, may not be the fastest way to confront an active shooter, it is still faster than not having the firepower at all.
Also, if word gets out that there is a chance that a shooter will be confronted, by trained officers, with rifles, it may cause them to reconsider their plan. As the old saying goes an ounce of prevention.......
JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jusme wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:41 am It is disheartening, and maybe not as effective as we hope, but, what's more disheartening, is having a bunch of kids die, while waiting for the police to arrive 5-10 minutes later. While having AR 15s in a safe, may not be the fastest way to confront an active shooter, it is still faster than not having the firepower at all.
Also, if word gets out that there is a chance that a shooter will be confronted, by trained officers, with rifles, it may cause them to reconsider their plan. As the old saying goes an ounce of prevention.......
JMHO
:iagree: And the officers will probable have their sidearm with them at all times, I'd think.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

Vol Texan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:48 am
Ruark wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am I think the value of armed guards is schools.is vastly overrated. It takes just seconds for a shooter to kill a dozen kids. Modern urban schools, especially bigh schools can have 20, 30 or more buildings scattered around a campus. You going to have a commando in every building in full battle rattle? Yet hoplophobes act like have some guy over in Building 608B with a gun locked in a safe is going to protect everybody.
There, fixed it for you. I’ll sure it was just auto-correct. :thumbs2:
Yeah, just fixed it. Whew!!!
-Ruark

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Yet hoplophobes act like have some guy over in Building 608B with a gun locked in a safe is going to protect everybody.
That seems oxymoronic to me! I would think Hoplophobes more likely to think a "no gun sign" would be more effective.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”