This Day In Texas History - March 9

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 3

This Day In Texas History - March 9

Post by joe817 »

1707 - The Ramón expedition, with thirty-one soldiers and citizens, 150 horses, and twenty pack mules, left Mission San Juan Bautista for a trek north of the Rio Grande. Diego Ramón was sent on this excursion by Coahuila governor Alarcón to punish raiding Indians, to gather neophytes for the smallpox-ravaged Rio Grande missions, and to explore the region. After a successful expedition that reached up to the site of present-day Webb and Dimmit counties, Ramón and his men arrived back at San Juan Bautista on April 3, 1708.

1731 - Nine years after the plan was first proposed to the King of Spain, the first settlers relocated from the Canary Islands arrive to settle San Antonio on this date in 1731. The king granted in perpetuity, to each of the colonists and their heirs, the noble title of Hidalgo ("person of noble lineage"). Unfortunately, with the title came a degree of arrogance and intolerance toward the region's established population.

1839 - Felix Huston Robertson, the only Texas-born general officer to serve the Confederacy, was born on March 9, 1839, at Washington-on-the-Brazos, the son of Mary (Cummins) and Jerome Bonaparte Robertson. He attended Baylor University and was appointed to West Point in 1857, but he resigned shortly before graduation in order to offer his services to the Confederacy.

1842 - Mexican troops under Rafael Vásquez abandoned San Antonio. The new Republic of Texas was still waging war with Mexico for its mere existence, even though the Treaty of Velasco had been signed on May 14, 1836 after defeat of the Mexican forces at the battle of San Jacinto.. The public treaty, with ten articles, provided that hostilities would cease, that Santa Anna would not again take up arms against Texas, that the Mexican forces would withdraw beyond the Rio Grande, that restoration would be made of property confiscated by Mexicans, that prisoners would be exchanged on an equal basis, that Santa Anna would be sent to Mexico as soon as possible, and that the Texas army would not approach closer than five leagues to the retreating Mexicans.

1847 - The Battle of Veracruz -- a 20-day siege of the Mexican seaport Veracruz -- began today in the midst of the Mexican-American War, which was fought over the U.S. annexation of what is now Texas. The siege was the young United States' first large-scale amphibious assault, with more than 10,000 American troops landing near Veracruz. Three major forts guarded Veracruz, which was considered one of the strongest fortresses in the world at the time. At 3:30 a.m. March 9, the first specialized U.S. watercraft was rowed ashore. The entire 1st Regular Division landed on shore without firing a shot. Within three days, the U.S. forces had formed a seven-mile siege line before the fortress. The Mexicans called for a cease-fire on March 25. By March 29, an American flag flew over San Juan de Ulúa. Under Army Gen. Winfield Scott, only 13 Americans were killed.

1881 - A Texas law provided for the appointment of state sheep inspectors and the quarantine of diseased sheep. The measure was but one part of the saga of the sheep wars. Sheep ranching already had an extensive history in Texas. The first Spanish explorers and missionaries brought their flocks, and mission ranches near San Antonio and La Bahía expanded the industry during the eighteenth century. In the mid-1800s Texas sheep ranchers found profitable wool markets in New England. But sheepmen often clashed with cattlemen over grazing rights, and by the 1870s these conflicts came to a head. Cattlemen viewed shepherds as encroachers and sometimes used intimidation and violence to force them out. Some out-of-state herdsmen crossed into Texas lands, and sheep ranchers also drove sheep infected with scab. Additional legislation helped stem the movement of diseased sheep, and eventually the widespread use of barbed wire fencing brought an end to the open range and the sheep wars.

1936 - A fifty-eight-mile power line near Bartlett, Texas, was energized, according to some sources the first in the nation under the Rural Electrification Administration. When President Franklin D. Roosevelt began the REA in May 1935, only about 2 percent of the farms in Texas (and only about 10 percent nationally) had electricity. The REA was originally intended to be a large-scale depression relief agency like the Work Projects Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps, but became a lending agency instead with the passage of legislation cosponsored by Sam Rayburn. The $33,000 loan to a group of farmers at Bartlett was one of the first ten loans made by the REA. The REA had an incalculable impact on life in rural Texas. The REA first brought electric power to the rural Panhandle in Deaf Smith County in 1937. By 1965, instead of only 2 percent of Texas farms with electricity, there were only 2 percent without electricity. [ when I was growing in Clay County, dad used to complain about how high the REA co-op rates were. That hasn't changed. But at least we had electricity. ]

1950 - Ten days before graduation, Wichita Falls born Clois Lyn Osborn landed his first television roll as Cadet Happy in Space Patrol. The show ran for 1200 live episodes. As "Cadet Happy", he also did over 200 radio episodes, made personal appearances and benefits all over the country. The show was cancelled on March 7, 1955, in it's fifth year. Osborn died 3 years later in Los Angeles.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Re: This Day In Texas History - March 9

Post by joe817 »

John Sowers Brooks(a Goliad defender) letter to James Hagarty of New York. In it he states he fears the Alamo has fallen:

"Fort Defiance, Goliad Texas, March 9, 1836 My dear friend: I have written to you several times since my arrival in Texas; but, as I have received no answer from you, I presume my letters have miscarried. An opportunity now occurs of forwarding to Matagorda, whence it will more probably be shipped to New Orleans, than by the usual route, now infested by the enemy. A brief retrospect of our heretofore bloodless campaign, will perhaps, be interesting to you. I write in great haste, and may possibly, omit events necessary to elucidate our conduct. Indeed, it is impossible within the compass of a single letter, to give you any idea of the manner in which our little army has been influenced by the policies of the Country; though most of them are strangers to it, and consequently unable to realize the motives, which actuate the different parties.- For Texas is not, as you would probably suppose, united, in the great struggle before her. Party spirit has taken a form even more malignant than she has assumed in the U. States; and to such an extent has domestic cavilling been carried, that the Council have deposed, impeached, and arrested the Governor, while he, by an official fiat, has dissolved the Council; and thus we see the striking anomaly of two Governors, created by different authorities, ruling in the same country.

But, to return- On the 24th day of January 1836, the Georgia Battallion of Volunteers, in which I held a responsible office, sailed from the Brazos, under the Command of J. W. Fannin, Jr. The object of this expedition was to take the City of Matamoras to revolutionize the State of Tamaulipas, to form a nucleus, or point of rendezvous for volunteers from the U. States, to harrass the enemy at sea, to relieve ourselves from the burden of the war by carrying it out of the Country, and to give employment to the volunteers who had lately arrived. On the 4th day we arrived about 60 miles in front of our position; and another party of 200 have been discovered within 18 miles of us, between us and Gonzalas. Every thing indicates that an attack win be speedily made upon us. Their scouts, well mounted, frequently push up to our walls, and, from the want of horses, we are unable to punish them. We have again heard from Bexar, Santa Ana has arrived there himself, with 3000 men, making his whole force 4800. He has erected a battery within 400 yards of the Alamo, and every shot goes through it, as the walls are weak. It is feared that Bexar will be taken and that the devoted courage of the brave defenders will be of no avail.

We have had no bread, for several days. I am nearly naked, without shoes, and without money. We suffer much, and as soon as Bexar falls we will be surrounded by 6000 infernal Mexicans. But we are resolved to die under the walls rather than surrender. You shall hear from me again as soon as possible. I am acting Aid-de-Camp to the Commander-in-Chief, with the rank of Lieutenant. The Express is anxious to start, and I am compelled to close this letter, unfinished. Independence has probably been declared. We are in a critical situation. I will die like a soldier. Farewell, John S. Brooks.

Mes. McKinney & Williams will please forward this to the U.S. by the first opportunity [To James Hagarty, New York] and oblige, J. S. B.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Re: This Day In Texas History - March 9

Post by joe817 »

Burr. H. Duval to William P. Duval, March 9, 1836. Author, one of James W. Fannin's officers at Goliad writes that no one expected Santa Anna to invade. The post has 400 men. Their preparations are sufficient to give any Mexican army "a desperate fight." Much dissension; Fannin unpopular.

Goliad, March 9th, 1836 Dear Father, It has been some time since I have had an opty. of writing to you, A gentleman leaves here to day for the U. States but have my doubts if he gets fifty miles from this post as we are surrounded by Mexican troops-

By last express, yesterday from San Antonio we learned that our little band of 200 still maintained their situation in the Alamo, the fort outside of the town- They have been fighting desperately there for 10 or 15 days against four or five thousand Mexicans Santa Anna is there himself and has there and in his vicinity at least six thousand troops Contrary to the expectation of every one he has invaded the Country when least expected- Not a Texian was in the held, nor has even one yet made his appearance at this post.

-The greater portion of the Mexican troops are mounted, and of course have greatly the advantage over us- We now muster at this post 400 strong, and from the preparations we have made shall be enabled to give any number a desperate fight- San Antonio I fear has fallen before this;

-from its situation and construction, I cannot believe it possible so small a band could maintain it against such fearful odds- D. Crockett is one of the number in the fort- We are expecting an attack hourly. An express yesterday was chased in by 200 cavalry eighteen miles from this- Sixty miles south of this is another party of 650 who have been quartered at San Patricio for some days, waiting reinforcements. Several of our parties of 20 and 30 have been cut off by them

-As I anticipated, much dissention prevails among the Volunteers, Col. Fannin, now in command (Genl. Houston being absent), is unpopular- and nothing but the certainty of hard fighting, and that shortly, could have kept us together so long- I am popular with the army, and strange as you may think it could lead them or the majority of them where I choose- They have offered to give me every office from a Majority to Comdr. in Chief.

-I have seen enough to desire no office for the present in Texas higher than the one I hold- I have fifty men in my Company, who love me and who cannot be surpassed for boldness and chivalry- With such a band I will gain the laurels I may wear or die without any- I am situated at present with my company, in a strong stone house immediately across the street and opposite one of the bastions of the fort from the bastion I have built a Bridge to the top of the house on which is placed a Brass Six Pounder-the best and most commanding situation we have- before I am driven from it hundreds must perish-

I have seen something of the country since I last wrote you having been out for some days at a time on several expeditions- It is decidedly a richer country than I expected to find, and must be more healthy than any other southern country at least this part of it - the country is high and dry tho generally level and the rivers, at least this, the San Antonio, descends with the velocity of a mountain stream- In many parts water and timber is too scarce, and the Northern winds are frequent and last from one to three days blowing with great violence.

The climate of Florida I think is greatly preferable, but it can not be compared to this in point of soil- We have just learned from Washington (the seat of Govt. that they have declared Independence- If such be the fact of which I have no doubt-we must whip the Mexicans For young men who wish to acquire distinction and forturne now is the time- Tell all who are friendly to the cause of Texas to lend a helping hand and that that, The little band of Volunteers now in the field must breast the storm and keep a powerful army in check until relief is at hand or all is lost.

-We want provisions arms & men. I have never seen such men as this army is composed of-no man ever thinks of retreat, or surrender, they must be exterminated to be whipped -Nothing can depress their ardour--we are frequently for days without anything but Bull beef to eat, and after working hard all day could you at night hear the boys crowing, gobling, barking, bellowing, laughing and singing you would think them the happiest and best fed men in the world

--Do all you can for Texas---Yr. affectionate son B. H. Duval N. B. If there sh [torn] in my letter that could benefit Texas make it public---To His Excely, Wm. P. Duval. [Addressed:] For His Excelly---Wm. P. Duval Tallahassee Florida
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Off-Topic”