Off The Beaten Path - Camp Verde, TX

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Off The Beaten Path - Camp Verde, TX

Post by joe817 »

CAMP VERDE, TEXAS. Camp Verde is on the north bank of Verde Creek six miles southwest of Center Point in southeastern Kerr County. It grew around the Williams community store, established adjacent to Camp Verdeqv in 1857 in order to serve the needs of soldiers stationed there. It is reported that the primary purpose of the store was to provide liquor to the soldiers because regulations prohibited the sale of intoxicants within the camp. When Williams's health failed in 1858, the store was acquired by Charles Schreiner, then a young rancher in the nearby Turtle Creek area, who had recently immigrated from Germany. Since the store was open only on army paydays, Schreiner and his brother-in-law, Caspar Real, supplemented the business by contracting with the federal government to supply wood and beef to the military post. A post office and store continued to provide irregular service to area inhabitants after the military camp was abandoned. Camp Verde's first post office was established in 1858, probably operated from Schreiner's store. It discontinued operation in 1866. Charles C. Kelley served as postmaster when the post office was reopened at a different location in 1887. In 1892, however, it too was closed. Walter S. Nowlin reestablished the store and post office in 1899. Both remained in operation in the mid-1980s. In 1974 Camp Verde's population was estimated to be forty-one. That figure was still recorded through 2000.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Off The Beaten Path - Camp Verde, TX

Post by Jusme »

When I was much younger, I worked for a guy who stocked fish in stock ponds, one of his customers was named Walker, who owned the Prison Canyon Ranch, just outside of Camp Verde. It was part of the old fort, and served as a Civil war POW camp. He also had some camels, that we're direct descendants of the camels they were sending to Arizona. Very pretty area, down there.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Jusme wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:45 am When I was much younger, I worked for a guy who stocked fish in stock ponds, one of his customers was named Walker, who owned the Prison Canyon Ranch, just outside of Camp Verde. It was part of the old fort, and served as a Civil war POW camp. He also had some camels, that we're direct descendants of the camels they were sending to Arizona. Very pretty area, down there.
Fascinating! Thanks for contributing. Were the camels wild?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

joe817 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:50 am
Jusme wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:45 am When I was much younger, I worked for a guy who stocked fish in stock ponds, one of his customers was named Walker, who owned the Prison Canyon Ranch, just outside of Camp Verde. It was part of the old fort, and served as a Civil war POW camp. He also had some camels, that we're direct descendants of the camels they were sending to Arizona. Very pretty area, down there.
Fascinating! Thanks for contributing. Were the camels wild?
No they were just like regular livestock. I need to correct the name it was Walters, not Walker. His wife was killed a few years later, I'm trying to find the story.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I can't find a story on the murder without subscribing to the site, but I did find an article about the ranch, and the camels.

http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x ... d;id=11633

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

Jusme wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 am I can't find a story on the murder without subscribing to the site, but I did find an article about the ranch, and the camels.

http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x ... d;id=11633
I was driving to a job in the Big Bend Park and was between Alpine and Marathon at about 4:30 one morning when I saw a large shape moving at a good clip that was off in the desert. I asked an Outfitter friend if I had seen an Elk. He told me I had most likely seen a camel that was one of the desindents of camels abandoned in the area many Moons ago.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Grandfather lived in Kerrville for the longest time. I ended up in San Antonio for college. Still remember taking a lot of great drives up to Kerrville on weekends by way of Bandera or other round about means. Love that area of Texas (Lost Maples State Wilderness area is one of my favorites).
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

ELB

Post by ELB »

WTR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am
I was driving to a job in the Big Bend Park and was between Alpine and Marathon at about 4:30 one morning when I saw a large shape moving at a good clip that was off in the desert.
When I was in Saudi Arabia there were a lot of camels running free in the desert. And on the highways. They were really dangerous at night because their brown and black hair seemed to soak up the headlights, and it was hard to see them until the last moment.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”