Electricity Providers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Electricity Providers

Post by MaduroBU »

My month to date rate is $0.115/kWh on 750 kWh used for August. I'll try to post my end of month figures in early september. I really wish I had a 10-20 kw solar array selling into this market. You could pay it off in one month.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 31

Post by philip964 »

So I have now been with Griddy a year.

My all in rate, including that terrible month of August last summer when I paid 25.7 cents a KWh, ended up being 11.9 cents a KWh

I was paying 17.8 cents a KWh with Reliant, so I am a happy camper.

I will say August tested my decision as I saw days where I was paying 900 cents a KWh and they were drawing my credit card daily for more money.

I don’t pay much attention to the app now. Check every so often. Not like in Last August when I was freaking out every time I looked.

Wife seems happier, I have no problem turning the temp down at night so she can be more comfortable under two blankets.

By July I hope to have the thermostats running on apps so I can precool the house and then turn off the AC when the price goes up in the afternoon.

FrogFan
Posts in topic: 6

Post by FrogFan »

My two year contract with Reliant is up for renewal in June. I currently pay just about 9 cents per kwh. If I renew, the rate goes to 12.5 cents. Meanwhile, a check of powertochoose.org reveals many plans available for just about 6 cents per kwh if you're willing to accept a 3 month contract. The cheapest 1 year contract comes with a rate of around 8-9 cents.

My approach will be to enroll in short term plans as long as those low rates are available. I suspect these cheap rates are related to the price of oil, and I understand why the power companies won't offer them for longer terms.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

We switched from Cirro to Windrose 2 months ago. So far happy. They send me a weekly usage report that I like. Easy to make the switch. Live customer service people without a long hold. Their website is much easier to navigate than Cirro. Same electrons over the same wires.

Looking at powertochoose right now, I see Cirro is offering a good rate for a 15 month contract for new customers. 8.8 cents at 1,000KwH. If I could have had that rate when we switched, I would have stayed with Cirro, but, no regrets. Windrose is offering similar rates with various contract terms from 12 to 36 months currently.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

I switched to energyogre.com to let them shop rates for me. I used to shop plans on power to choose website, but that site has become pretty useless as you still have to do so much work and so many companies have over or under limits that kick in higher fees. So energyogre has saved me from that headache.
Ron
NRA Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

FrogFan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 pm My two year contract with Reliant is up for renewal in June. I currently pay just about 9 cents per kwh. If I renew, the rate goes to 12.5 cents. Meanwhile, a check of powertochoose.org reveals many plans available for just about 6 cents per kwh if you're willing to accept a 3 month contract. The cheapest 1 year contract comes with a rate of around 8-9 cents.

My approach will be to enroll in short term plans as long as those low rates are available. I suspect these cheap rates are related to the price of oil, and I understand why the power companies won't offer them for longer terms.
I'm getting about 9 cents a kilowatt/hr from Discount Power (TX) on a three year contract.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

FrogFan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 pm My two year contract with Reliant is up for renewal in June. I currently pay just about 9 cents per kwh. If I renew, the rate goes to 12.5 cents. Meanwhile, a check of powertochoose.org reveals many plans available for just about 6 cents per kwh if you're willing to accept a 3 month contract. The cheapest 1 year contract comes with a rate of around 8-9 cents.

the rate I previously quoted of 11.9 cents per KWh was the all in rate including all taxes and fees averaged over the entire year. Most of the time except in the afternoon the cost for the electricity by it self is like 1 to 2 cents a KWh.

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

the rate I previously quoted of 11.9 cents per KWh was the all in rate including all taxes and fees averaged over the entire year. Most of the time except in the afternoon the cost for the electricity by it self is like 1 to 2 cents a KWh.
The rates on powertochoose are "all in". In the past, many companies had complicated rate structures with fixed charges imposed for usage over or under certain "trigger" use amounts (in kwh). This year, those complicated structures are largely gone. The rate is the rate, regardless of how much power you use and when you use it.
I'm getting about 9 cents a kilowatt/hr from Discount Power (TX) on a three year contract.
That's a really good rate on a 3-year contract. I'll check to see if it's available here in my area (DFW). It's going to be hard to resist those 6 cent rates though, as long as they're available. I'd like to derive some "benefit" from the oil price slide, with all due respect to those here who work in the oil business.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

FrogFan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:37 pm
The rates on powertochoose are "all in". In the past, many companies had complicated rate structures with fixed charges imposed for usage over or under certain "trigger" use amounts (in kwh). This year, those complicated structures are largely gone. The rate is the rate, regardless of how much power you use and when you use it.
That's a really good rate on a 3-year contract. I'll check to see if it's available here in my area (DFW). It's going to be hard to resist those 6 cent rates though, as long as they're available. I'd like to derive some "benefit" from the oil price slide, with all due respect to those here who work in the oil business.
My December electricity was 8.1 cents per KWh all in. Of that 2.4 was electricity, delivery was 4.5 cents the rest was fees and taxes. Apparently delivery and fees and taxes can vary depending on where you live. But yes 9 cents all in for three years is a great deal.

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

My December electricity was 8.1 cents per KWh all in. Of that 2.4 was electricity, delivery was 4.5 cents the rest was fees and taxes. Apparently delivery and fees and taxes can vary depending on where you live. But yes 9 cents all in for three years is a great deal.
I'm in the Oncor "TDU". The published delivery charge right now is $3.42 per month fixed plus $0.035448 per kwh.

I just paid a visit to powertochoose.org and many of the low rates I saw just last week aren't available anymore. There was a rate out there last week with Cirro of $0.022 per kwh (independent of usage), which translated to an "all in" rate of $3.42 plus $0.057 per kwh per month. I can't change plans without a penalty until June, so I'm just going to have to wait until then and see what's available.

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV »

FrogFan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:16 pm
I'm in the Oncor "TDU". The published delivery charge right now is $3.42 per month fixed plus $0.035448 per kwh.

I just paid a visit to powertochoose.org and many of the low rates I saw just last week aren't available anymore. There was a rate out there last week with Cirro of $0.022 per kwh (independent of usage), which translated to an "all in" rate of $3.42 plus $0.057 per kwh per month. I can't change plans without a penalty until June, so I'm just going to have to wait until then and see what's available.
Try Texas Power Guide https://www.texaspowerguide.com. They have detailed instructions but first sign up on Smart Meter Texas, https://www.smartmetertexas.com/home, and get a full year summary of your meter readings. Feed those figures in the TPG spreadsheet.
Time your change over to near the end of your current contract - within 14 days to avoid charges. You can switch over a day or two early. If you don't sign up to switch before your current contract ends, your current provider may put you on a high cost plan. I made that mistake. My TXU plan terminated on the 14th, I signed up to start on the 15th and got tagged with a 37cent per hour rate for a partial day. Ouch.

TPG charges a small one-time fee - about 10 bucks.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

So I’m on Griddy. Wednesday was $1.50 for the day for power.
Thursday was $30.00 Friday was $30.00. Got an email saying to switch from them to another provider and come back in a month.
Saturday was $100.00 Sunday will be worse.
Today Monday the 15th it’s saying $9.00 per kWh.

Friends tried to switch but everyone was saying that their start date will be next Tuesday.

I’m seeing a Tesla power wall in my future.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

So glad I moved away from Griddy and stayed away. Having predictable rates through a contract is worth it for me. I don’t want to deal with those spikes in Aug 2019 again.
Last edited by SQLGeek on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psalm 91:2

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MaduroBU »

I'm actually doing okay on Griddy; this month is rough, currently $0.486/kwh for $130 on 267 kwh, of which $10 is a credit card fee (they don't have ACH payments, which is my one real gripe with them). I've been stuck in a hospital since Saturday, so I basically turned everything off. My plan is to get out of dodge and return once things have calmed down here. Even with this, it has been a pretty impressive net win and I'm not going back to getting raked over the coals by other REPs.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Griddy had been delaying my information due to they say Centerpoint.

So power for Sunday was $125 for 46 KWh I was actually happy when it arrived.

Then late last night I got Monday’s bill for 46 KWh it was $311.

Looks like Tuesdays bill will be the same or higher. Same for today and tomorrow and most likely Friday.

Only hope I have is Governor declared a disaster on last Friday.

Return to “Off-Topic”