Off The Beaten Path - Navarro, Tx

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Off The Beaten Path - Navarro, Tx

Post by joe817 »

NAVARRO, TEXAS (Navarro County). Navarro, on Farm Road 3243 eight miles southeast of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County, was established in the early 1880s. It was originally known as Hopewell after the Hopewell Baptist Church. A school was in operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of thirty-three. When the Houston and Texas Central Railway bypassed the community in the early 1900s, the town was moved to a site on the railroad and was renamed Navarro. A post office opened in 1908, and by 1914 Navarro had a cotton gin, three general stores, two blacksmiths, and an estimated population of fifty. By the mid-1930s the population had grown to seventy-five, and the town had six stores, a school, two churches, and a number of houses. After World War II the stores closed, and by the mid-1960s only a school and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Navarro was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 193. The population was 191 in 2000.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Off The Beaten Path - Navarro, Tx

Post by Jago668 »

I grew up about 12 miles from there and have never been to it. Been to Angus, Mildred, and Eureka but never Navarro.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 am I grew up about 12 miles from there and have never been to it. Been to Angus, Mildred, and Eureka but never Navarro.
Navarro rings a bell in my mind but can't place why. :???: I think I passed thru Navarro back in '61 or '62 when my roommates and I were on our way back to Allen Military Academy in Bryan. We met up in Dallas. Me from Clay county. One of us lived in Dallas, and the third one came in on the bus from Lubbock. My folks drove down from the place, and left me at the bus station. When we 3 met up we decided to hitch hike back to Bryan, instead of taking the bus. We weren't concerned about safety. We had on military uniforms(tropical worsteds), complete with nametags, medals, ribbons,epilet rank, etc, etc, etc. We weren't concerned. It was a different time back then.

We started heading south hitching, and after several transfers, we were headed down that way. Is there any highway that goes from Dallas, thru Navarro, thru La Grange and then on to Bryan? It was a long time ago. So I may be mistaken.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

joe817 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:03 pm
Jago668 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 am I grew up about 12 miles from there and have never been to it. Been to Angus, Mildred, and Eureka but never Navarro.
Navarro rings a bell in my mind but can't place why. :???: I think I passed thru Navarro back in '61 or '62 when my roommates and I were on our way back to Allen Military Academy in Bryan. We met up in Dallas. Me from Clay county. One of us lived in Dallas, and the third one came in on the bus from Lubbock. My folks drove down from the place, and left me at the bus station. When we 3 met up we decided to hitch hike back to Bryan, instead of taking the bus. We weren't concerned about safety. We had on military uniforms(tropical worsteds), complete with nametags, medals, ribbons,epilet rank, etc, etc, etc. We weren't concerned. It was a different time back then.

We started heading south hitching, and after several transfers, we were headed down that way. Is there any highway that goes from Dallas, thru Navarro, thru La Grange and then on to Bryan? It was a long time ago. So I may be mistaken.
Highway 287, and I45 go somewhat near it. The old 75 might have gone through there before I45, and before the Richland Chambers reservoir. Though you made a pretty round a bout trip if you went through La Grange to get to Bryan.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:36 pm
joe817 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:03 pm

Highway 287, and I45 go somewhat near it. The old 75 might have gone through there before I45, and before the Richland Chambers reservoir. Though you made a pretty round a bout trip if you went through La Grange to get to Bryan.
Well this was well before I-45, and I think before Richland Chambers. :roll: 1962 was a long time ago. :lol: But I thank you for your insight. :tiphat: That was a pretty round about trip we made. That was an adventure. Thanks!
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Off-Topic”