Any ham trader sites...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
TxLobo
Posts in topic: 2

Any ham trader sites...

Post by TxLobo » Sat May 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Worth looking at?

I'm new to the amateur radio side, been threatening myself to get my license for years, I've worked emergency communications, been a DJ, dabbled in CB when I was in JR high.. (KAKO-4794) back when we still had to get a license for CB..
Got my Tech in February, got my General in March. Studying for GROL now (beats me why I have to know what wattage a ship can use in a blind curve of a river when there ain't no rivers, or ships in Central Texas.. ) but I regress.

I'm looking for HF traders in Texas.
I've looked at Eham, Ebay, QRZ, couple of sites on FB :banghead: All good sites, but I've about determined that if the radio isn't busted, the seller thinks it's the best of the best and is offering it for just 200 less than new in the box. Or it belonged to a smoker that went SK and there is so much sludge on the radio you would waste a can of ID Red just trying to clean it.

I know, it's kinda like selling guns, but radios depreciate and technology changes. I've an old 10 meter Swan that was fairly expensive when new, but I realize it's going to look better in a museum than being sold to a youngster starting out. I've got a couple of Kenwood TK series that have been set up on 2 meter. TYT on 70 cm and a couple of *ducking* Baofeng for walking around use. But I'd like to play with DX. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
"It's not the wolves of the wild that I fear, but the sheep, the sheep cause me concern.."

1911, 'cause life's too short to carry an ugly gun...
NRA Life Member

mojohn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any ham trader sites...

Post by mojohn » Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Make 'em an offer!
https://www.mtcradio.com/used-gear/

John Peek, KF5ZMD

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 am

I will second mojohn on MTC. They are good people and stand behind their stuff. The closest store would be Paris , TX
HRO is another that is a good operation and they have a store in Plano, Tx. Both have an on line operation.

After a 15 year absence from the operating Ham world I jumped back in a couple years ago. I was not prepared for the "sticker shock" that came. Well used transceivers were going for near the same price as they did back when they were new. Sometimes even more, depending on desirability.

If you go on QRZ.com or eham.net you will find many items for sale, but many cautions are needed. READ the rules for each site. Do not respond on the sale threads. If you respond to the actual thread you will get offers of the same equipment for a lower price usually from scammers. Respond only to the email addy listed in the licensee look up, not the one listed in the add. Scammers abound. If there is no email address listed in the call sign lookup for the supposed seller then it is may be a scammer hijacking a call sign..

Search "Hamfests" and find one close to you. There are many good deals for used equipment as well as new at these events. Talk to your local Ham Club and see if there is anyone selling any equipment. I know of a guy near me that is trying to sell a new HF rig that he won at a local hamfest, but it is out of my budget range as long as I still have a working unit.
N5PNZ

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv » Mon May 13, 2019 9:56 am

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
TxLobo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxLobo » Tue May 14, 2019 6:10 am

Guys,

Thanks.. I'm off looking. I can find lots of Chinese knockoffs.. some new brands I've not heard of. And the clear understanding that this is not a cheap hobby..

73's KI5DHY
"It's not the wolves of the wild that I fear, but the sheep, the sheep cause me concern.."

1911, 'cause life's too short to carry an ugly gun...
NRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”