Off The Beaten Path - Jean, TX

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8889
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Off The Beaten Path - Jean, TX

#1

Post by joe817 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am

JEAN, TEXAS. Jean, at the intersection of State Highway 114 and Farm Road 1769, in north central Young County, was settled in 1875 by rancher S. B. Lamar, who built a schoolhouse and a store there. His son, James Lamar, became the first postmaster and named the settlement after his sweetheart. Jean was moved one mile to the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad when the line was built through the area in 1903. R. F. Willis donated land for the new townsite and gave the Trinity Townsite Company alternate blocks. G. G. Cantrill built a store that was also used for the railroad station. By 1940 Jean had 300 inhabitants and five stores. In 1980 and 1990 the population was estimated as ninety-one. The population grew to 110 in 2000.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”