Nobody but John Cornyn

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nobody but John Cornyn

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Joe Manchin has a stronger spine than Cornyn.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LDB415 »

I will be supporting whoever runs against him next time. If he sadly wins another November shot I will not vote for him. I may even vote for the democrat because unlike Cornyn he/she at least wears their suit and admits it.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

extremist
Posts in topic: 2

Post by extremist »

LDB415 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 am I will be supporting whoever runs against him next time. If he sadly wins another November shot I will not vote for him. I may even vote for the democrat because unlike Cornyn he/she at least wears their suit and admits it.
I always vote for his Republican primary challenger, BUT, I'll never vote for a Dem or not vote.
That is counterproductive.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

extremist wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:17 am
LDB415 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 am I will be supporting whoever runs against him next time. If he sadly wins another November shot I will not vote for him. I may even vote for the democrat because unlike Cornyn he/she at least wears their suit and admits it.
I always vote for his Republican primary challenger, BUT, I'll never vote for a Dem or not vote.
:iagree: I don't believe that Senator Cornyn is anti-petroleum or anti-business or anti-farmer...any Democrat that might want that seat would be against all three of those, and much worse. Still, I feel that Senator Cornyn has let us down by playing the compromise game.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grayling813 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:45 am Still, I feel that Senator Cornyn has let us down by playing the compromise game.
Cornyn has been quite adept at negotiating rights away.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

"Compromise"
In the immortal words of Andre the Giant: "You keep using that word. I don't think you know what it means."
In a compromise, each side gives up something in order to get something.
I know what Cornyn gave up: Red flag laws, extended background checks, more money to be wasted.
But what did our side get?
If your answer is that the anti-gun side took slightly less than what they originally wanted, that's not compromise it is capitulation.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

Excellent essay on Red Flag Laws and John Cornyn.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Chemist45 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:08 pm "Compromise"
In the immortal words of Andre the Giant: "You keep using that word. I don't think you know what it means."
I know what Cornyn gave up: Red flag laws, extended background checks, more money to be wasted.
If your answer is that the anti-gun side took slightly less than what they originally wanted, that's not compromise it is capitulation.
Exactly.
If the bill also included nationwide carry reciprocity, then that would be a compromise.

seph

Post by seph »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:27 pm
Exactly.
If the bill also included nationwide carry reciprocity, then that would be a compromise.
But not a balanced compromise. For expanded background checks and red flags, we would need NFA items deregulated too.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

seph wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:30 pm
Boxerrider wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:27 pm
Exactly.
But not a balanced compromise. For expanded background checks and red flags, we would need NFA items deregulated too.
Red Flag laws are unconstitutional, and also a hill I would die on. I don't feel that's a valid negotiating point. Registries are in the same category, IMHO since they inevitably lead to confiscation.

Other things I'd be more open to. But only in exchange for meaningful advances like CCW reciprocity like we do for drivers and marriage licenses, eliminating the NFA list entirely, etc.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grayling813 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:22 pm

Excellent essay on Red Flag Laws and John Cornyn.
With Rush gone it seems like Tucker is the only voice left who is unafraid to speak the truth.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

extremist wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:17 am
The problem is a vote for Cornyn is just another vote for a democrat.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Problem Texas might have potentially might be more than Cornyn. How about Beto? That’a a bit too tight in my opinion. And with all the folks coming in from Lib States, how many more cycles can TX take keeping Red?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas- ... bbott-poll

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Potential good news:
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/06/16 ... ut-n579614
Cornyn said
“I don’t know what they have in mind, but I’m through talking.”
Apparently the sticking points are on the Red Flag funding and the "Boyfriend loophole".
Cornyn wants the states without red flag laws to be able to spend the money on Mental Health programs and the dems don't like that idea.

I've read the description of the "Boyfriend loophole" but I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

Chemist45 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:15 pm Potential good news:
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/06/16 ... ut-n579614
Cornyn said
“I don’t know what they have in mind, but I’m through talking.”
Apparently the sticking points are on the Red Flag funding and the "Boyfriend loophole".
Cornyn wants the states without red flag laws to be able to spend the money on Mental Health programs and the dems don't like that idea.

I've read the description of the "Boyfriend loophole" but I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
More

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/16/cornyn ... epublicans

Seems like things arnt going well.

Return to “Off-Topic”