Israel Seals Off Last Hezbollah Terror Tunnel, The Largest Ever Discovered

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Israel Seals Off Last Hezbollah Terror Tunnel, The Largest Ever Discovered

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Israel has sealed off the last of several Hezbollah tunnels discovered six months ago burrowing from Lebanon to northern Israel, according to Israeli Defense Forces spokesman Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus on Monday.
Journalists were shown the entrance to the massive tunnel, which extended some 265 feet—or about 22 stories—below ground, and was about a mile in length. When discovered, the tunnel was wired for electricity, and also contained various communications equipment.

The tunnel, which exists into Israel near the 265-person town of Zarit in the Upper Galilee, was discovered as part of last winter’s Operation Northern Shield, a mission to find and destroy Hezbollah tunnels in Israel’s north.
According to Conricus, the operation, which began in December, is now completed and “it is safe to say that there are no more Hezbollah cross-border attack tunnels from Lebanon into Israel.”

Rest assured that tunnels like these are also being constructed right now across the Southern US Border...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Israel Seals Off Last Hezbollah Terror Tunnel, The Largest Ever Discovered

Post by ninjabread »

Wouldn't it be more productive to emplace mines or other traps in the tunnels? People using such tunnels to break the law are de facto guilty, so there's no real concern about killing or injuring innocent people.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Way back in WW1 tunnelers on each side used Stethoscopes to detect enemy tunnels and intercept them. They did this quite successfully. Surely today with more sensitive instruments it should be possible to detect digging at much longer distances and depths with even greater accuracy. Then having done so to either drill down to the tunnel to drop in a charge or use some form of ROV digger to intercept it. I adequate resources are used it should be possible to destroy any such tunnel before it is completed.

If the opposition uses machinery to try and dig faster that will increase the noise and risk of detection. If they did slowly by hand it may take longer to detect them but even then it should be possible to find the tunnel before completion.

In low population areas where there is little surface activity to worry about, then why not borrow an idea from naval history. Depth-charge them. Every so often in various locations in desert areas quickly drill a bore hole down to 100 to 200 feet then lower down and detonate a 50 to 100 pound charge hopefully the resultant underground shockwaves will give the tunnel diggers some thing think about.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ninjabread wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:23 pm Wouldn't it be more productive to emplace mines or other traps in the tunnels? People using such tunnels to break the law are de facto guilty, so there's no real concern about killing or injuring innocent people.
Ground penetrating radar.....from space. If the Israelis put up a satellite with ground penetrating radar on it, parking it in geosynchronous orbit over Israel, they’ll have no trouble finding tunnels. H3ck ,they may already be doing it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If it's in a producing area, frack some nearby wells or do a geophysical survey with the thumper trucks. :reddevil
Only reason we don't have significant tunneling down here is the high water table and unconsolidated subsurface deposits (Rio Grande Valley is an alluvial fan from the coast [Brownsville] inland about 100 miles [La Joya]). Only major tunnel I recall hearing about was somewhere around Rio Grande City.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm If it's in a producing area, frack some nearby wells or do a geophysical survey with the thumper trucks. :reddevil
Only reason we don't have significant tunneling down here is the high water table and unconsolidated subsurface deposits (Rio Grande Valley is an alluvial fan from the coast [Brownsville] inland about 100 miles [La Joya]). Only major tunnel I recall hearing about was somewhere around Rio Grande City.
For example, tunnels found in AZ and CA:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/10/high-tech ... co-border/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/us/drug- ... index.html
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”