No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Post by ScottDLS »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:11 pm My TX DL was issued in May, 2016 before DPS started issuing REALID compliant licenses. It doesn’t expire until 2023, so according to DPS website the October 2020 deadline will be more than 2 years before my expiration, leaving me unable to have a federally approved form of ID for boarding aircraft.
Hopefully there will be an expansion of the allowed 2 year time to renew for people caught between the dates like I am.
Yeah, I know I can get a passport....
You can go any time and get a new DL. The two years is for them to renew. They'll make a duplicate any time. I have to go some time and renew mine which expires 11/2020 and is not a REALID one. In the meantime I have numerous other compliant ID's...passport book, passport card, global entry card, DoD Contractor ID...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:45 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:11 pm My TX DL was issued in May, 2016 before DPS started issuing REALID compliant licenses. It doesn’t expire until 2023, so according to DPS website the October 2020 deadline will be more than 2 years before my expiration, leaving me unable to have a federally approved form of ID for boarding aircraft.
Hopefully there will be an expansion of the allowed 2 year time to renew for people caught between the dates like I am.
Yeah, I know I can get a passport....
You can go any time and get a new DL. The two years is for them to renew. They'll make a duplicate any time. I have to go some time and renew mine which expires 11/2020 and is not a REALID one. In the meantime I have numerous other compliant ID's...passport book, passport card, global entry card, DoD Contractor ID...
A TWIC card will work too, but not a Texas LTC
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am I received a notification letter from DPS on Saturday about my DL not being REAL ID compliant. The path to obtaining a REAL ID license if your doesn't expire until after Oct 1 2020 is to request a duplicate ID by mail or online for $10.00. (Online adds $1.00 fee for total of $11.00).
I requested a duplicate this morning online.
Would you mind confirming receipt of your duplicate with the star? I'd happily spend $22 for my wife and I not to have to sit through the DPS office madness IF I were certain that the results would be a REAL ID compliant card. What they SAY works and what DOES work may be two different things. Both my wife and I provided our birth certificates at one point so there should be no problem with them issuing the REAL ID

Sorry that I'm so skeptical.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grayling813 »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 am
Grayling813 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am I received a notification letter from DPS on Saturday about my DL not being REAL ID compliant. The path to obtaining a REAL ID license if your doesn't expire until after Oct 1 2020 is to request a duplicate ID by mail or online for $10.00. (Online adds $1.00 fee for total of $11.00).
Would you mind confirming receipt of your duplicate with the star? I'd happily spend $22 for my wife and I not to have to sit through the DPS office madness IF I were certain that the results would be a REAL ID compliant card. What they SAY works and what DOES work may be two different things. Both my wife and I provided our birth certificates at one point so there should be no problem with them issuing the REAL ID

From one skeptic to another...I'll let you know when it arrives if it is correct!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

My wife and I both had to go in and show proof of citizenship to renew.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 am

Me too.

I tried to call DPS today but was disconnected several times.

Sent them the following email. received an ack. that it would be 3 to 5 business days for a reply.
Comments: If I order a DUPLICATE DL online, with the new DL be REALID compliant? My current DL is not. The FAQ is unclear whether a duplicate DL WILL be compliant or MAY be compliant. Thanks!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Mine was due to expire in April. Went online renewed it and received new one in 2 weeks. Easy peasy

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

DynamicDan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:00 pm Mine was due to expire in April. Went online renewed it and received new one in 2 weeks. Easy peasy Japanesey.

I completed your thought for you. You are welcome. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I received the following reply via email from DPS just now....
Any driver license produced after 10/17/2016, will have a yellow star placed around the expiration date meeting the federal REAL ID ACT.
I therefore assume that if the online system allows me to request either a duplicate or renewal, that the license issued will be REAL ID compliant.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm
You can request a new copy of your current license, so long as you’re more than 2 years from renewal. Maybe the new one will have the star.
R
[/quote]

To get my new DL, I had to go through a bunch of rigmarole. You need a birth certificate, and not just a photocopy.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

KLB wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm
You can request a new copy of your current license, so long as you’re more than 2 years from renewal. Maybe the new one will have the star.
R
To get my new DL, I had to go through a bunch of rigmarole. You need a birth certificate, and not just a photocopy.
[/quote]

I got that letter too. You are correct the REAL ID compliant DL requires proof of citizenship.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

I have received two letters from DPS about my renewal. My CDL expires next October. Regardless I would have to go in for the renewal in any case with that license. I am just going to wait. In the last few years any flying I have done has been by private plane so it wouldn't matter anyway. You get to avoid all the TSA crap. Nice to have friends and customers that fly their own planes. I am not planning to fly commercial in any case so I will wait.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

gtolbert09 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:05 pm
R
I got that letter too. You are correct the REAL ID compliant DL requires proof of citizenship.
[/quote]
I renewed mine without providing anything. Just went online requested new license paid and rcievied my new real ID compliant license.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

DynamicDan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm
gtolbert09 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:05 pm
R
I renewed mine without providing anything. Just went online requested new license paid and rcievied my new real ID compliant license.
[/quote]

My understanding of the way this works is...if when you last renewed your license in person if you were required to provide the Real ID documents (proof of citizenship or lawful presence in US and other proof of residency and identity) BUT it was before they were issuing the enhanced tamper proof cards...THEN you can renew online. If like me, you have a previous (pre-2016) online renewal then you have to show up in person. I went in early 2016 to have VETERAN added to my DL (for the Lowe’s discount ;-) ) but I wasn’t eligible to renew.

Also for another Catch 22, my daughter who turns 18 soon has a provisional DL for 16-17 year olds. It expires on her birthday, which unfortunately is a school day. She has to go in person to get a regular DL and can’t fly without valid an unexpired ID since she will be 18. We are going on vacation very soon. Luckily she has a passport...

But if you are an illegal alien they can’t ask you for a DL to prove you’re legal to vote because racism or something. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I provided my license that was going to expire and the renewal notice at the dmv for renewal prior to my real ID one.

Return to “Off-Topic”