Help identifying rattler!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Help identifying rattler!!

Post by dlh »

I second the western diamondback rattlesnake identification. Killed 4 of em already this year.
Get to the emergency room!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 15

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I sure hope you have gone in by now. I don't think I have ever known anyone who "waited it out" after a snake bite. The picture I posted just after you made the post was the least gruesome I found. Most of the pictures I found were too graphic to post here. The longer you wait the more damage is done.

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ELB »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm I sure hope you have gone in by now. I don't think I have ever known anyone who "waited it out" after a snake bite. The picture I posted just after you made the post was the least gruesome I found. Most of the pictures I found were too graphic to post here. The longer you wait the more damage is done.
In my old hometown in Indiana we had a guy who ran a serpentarium. Part of the "tour" was a big fat book of photographs of poisonous snake bites that people had "waited out"...and some that didn't wait but it didn't go well anyway. It's one of the more gruesome things I have seen. I indeed hope OP has long since made it to the ER and most of these posts are superfluous.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks

ELB wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:49 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm I sure hope you have gone in by now. I don't think I have ever known anyone who "waited it out" after a snake bite. The picture I posted just after you made the post was the least gruesome I found. Most of the pictures I found were too graphic to post here. The longer you wait the more damage is done.
In my old hometown in Indiana we had a guy who ran a serpentarium. Part of the "tour" was a big fat book of photographs of poisonous snake bites that people had "waited out"...and some that didn't wait but it didn't go well anyway. It's one of the more gruesome things I have seen. I indeed hope OP has long since made it to the ER and most of these posts are superfluous.
I remember seeing a story on TV a few years ago about some guy who was injecting venom from different snakes into himself to develop an immunity. In real life it is not how it normally works out. Even with medical care the bites often have horrible reactions. Maybe he decided to go in. I sure hope so.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

LDP wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:18 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pmMaybe he decided to go in. I sure hope so.
I hope so too. Given his absence here since the initial posts, I'd really hope he took the advice and sought medical treatment.
Though I do get the impression that the doctors at the ER normally don't provide anti-venom unless the patient suffers a severe reaction to the venom. And of course they need a good confirmation on the assailant. They supposedly usually only treat the symptoms themselves and try to lessen the pain and reduce the swelling. Can someone please confirm this? My information might be outdated. (my age shows here)
I'm hoping he's gone in to the hospital too
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Terry

Post by Terry »

Think about it this way. If you dont get to the hospital and the bite goes south, you might still be OK overall but your handgun grip technique could be impaired and you'll be made fun of at the range. You dont want to be Snake-hands-cant-shoot do you?

(I've worked in healthcare in the past... you tell people what you gotta tell em to do the right thing)

jason812

Post by jason812 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm I don't think I have ever known anyone who "waited it out" after a snake bite.
My dad after a water moccasin bit him at the lake. He said he would go to the hospital if he felt funny. It must have been a dry bite.

Be nice to have an update from the OP.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

jason812 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm I don't think I have ever known anyone who "waited it out" after a snake bite.
My dad after a water moccasin bit him at the lake. He said he would go to the hospital if he felt funny. It must have been a dry bite.

Be nice to have an update from the OP.
Maybe he went in. Even if they are too late for antivenom they can monitor the situation and maybe stave off some of the damage. I got hit by a moccasin once. I was wade fishing for crappie. Fortunately it hit my waders and did not go through. Scared the stuffing out of me though. I was thinking maybe he got me and I didn't feel it. Got those waders off in record time. LOL

carlson1
Posts in topic: 8

Post by carlson1 »

Been praying for this member.

krieghoff
Posts in topic: 4

Post by krieghoff »

I was wondering if anyone has heard from this fellow. I would almost be willing to bet train riding money he had a problem with the bite.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

03Lightningrocks

krieghoff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:25 pm I was wondering if anyone has heard from this fellow. I would almost be willing to bet train riding money he had a problem with the bite.
I was actually just thinking of this guy myself. He usually posts at least once a day and has been absent since his last post on this thread. I am afraid you may be right about him having issues with the bite.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Don't think Rattlers don't go near the water. I was wade fishing the West Walker River out of Yerington, NV circa 1990 for trout and one hit me from under the river bank. Fortunately, I was wearing cheap Herter's wader and its fangs didn't penetrate them. The snake paid with its life.

Now then, who remembers Herters?

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ELB »

I’ve searched every day for “Texas man snakebite“but all I get are stories about the guy who cut off a rattlesnake head and still got bit.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”