Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4214
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 am
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#1

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQ2b6ZwwCU

When LEO's need a gun traced, here's where and how it happens.

SIA
My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever.
We begin bombing in 5 minutes.

Ronald Reagan, 1911-2004

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8035
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#2

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:59 pm

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQ2b6ZwwCU

When LEO's need a gun traced, here's where and how it happens.

SIA
I just watched the video. Is that real? I kept thinking it might be a spoof video of some kind. That Chief was a serious ding dong.


mayor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:47 pm
Location: N. Fort Worth

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#3

Post by mayor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:10 pm

So, the firearm tracing center is building a firearm registry database from the records of closed FFL dealers. "As the records get run through those imagers, we load that into our system, and the paper records will be destroyed, otherwise we'd need a bigger building, right?" After this, the video explains how a firearm registry isn't being developed. "We turn those .pdf into... what? .jpg?" (then we delete the .pdf files that were generated as... what? individual files? That makes me feel better. I'll take your word for it. thanks.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

either untrue or inaccurate.

#4

Post by flechero » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:20 pm

I paid more attention to the lawyer type sitting beside/hind him that he looked to anytime he answered a question or said "too much."

He said they page through by hand... 67+million records at over a 90% success rate (with accurate descriptions) and there is no searchable method? I say bull. He's either lying (see comment about lawyer type) or they simply call the mfr with serial to get started to find the seller and retail customer. JMO.

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 18197
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#5

Post by Keith B » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2708
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#6

Post by Paladin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:02 pm

This video pre-dates that one:



:biggrinjester:
Last edited by Paladin on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#7

Post by jb2012 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm

I knew from the moment I filled out a 4473 for the first time, that it could later be easily used as a registration tool, or a means of tracking me.
I mean come on, you’re filling out federal documents with all of your information, a serial number and description of the firearm.


Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4214
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 am
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#8

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 pm

jb2012 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm
I knew from the moment I filled out a 4473 for the first time, that it could later be easily used as a registration tool, or a means of tracking me.
I mean come on, you’re filling out federal documents with all of your information, a serial number and description of the firearm.
It's possible, yes. But my understanding is that the only way the WV site gets the hardcopy 4473, which they can digitize, is when the FFL from whom you bought your heater goes out of business and has to send the hardcopies to WV.

So, if you bought your firearm from someplace that's still in business, ATF may peruse your 4473 at that FFL, but they would not have a chance to digitize it and put it into any sort of electronic data retrieval system.

SIA
My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever.
We begin bombing in 5 minutes.

Ronald Reagan, 1911-2004


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

#9

Post by jb2012 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:14 pm

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 pm
jb2012 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm
I knew from the moment I filled out a 4473 for the first time, that it could later be easily used as a registration tool, or a means of tracking me.
I mean come on, you’re filling out federal documents with all of your information, a serial number and description of the firearm.
It's possible, yes. But my understanding is that the only way the WV site gets the hardcopy 4473, which they can digitize, is when the FFL from whom you bought your heater goes out of business and has to send the hardcopies to WV.

So, if you bought your firearm from someplace that's still in business, ATF may peruse your 4473 at that FFL, but they would not have a chance to digitize it and put it into any sort of electronic data retrieval system.

SIA
I’m just saying that it could easily be used. Yes every ffl keeps their 4473’s. All it takes is the swipe of a congressional (and presidential) pen to have those documents sent straight to wv. It’s WAYYYY too easy for this to happen. Also remember, all information from the 4473 is relayed to the FBI. Be it over the phone, or electronically.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”