Fort Hancock

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9185
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Fort Hancock

#1

Post by joe817 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 am

FORT HANCOCK. Fort Hancock, originally designated Camp Rice, was a military installation established on April 15, 1881, as a subpost of Fort Davis to defend against Indians and bandits from across the Rio Grande. On July 9, 1882, it was moved from its initial location six miles northwest of Fort Quitman to a site on the Southern Pacific Railroad.

The next month it was moved again to higher ground nearby. Commanding general William T. Sherman believed the fort would be permanent because of its proximity to the railroad, and it was one of the few Texas forts to be purchased by the United States War Department (for $2,370 in 1883). On July 1, 1884, Camp Rice became an independent post in order to establish more efficient administration, and on July 17 Congress authorized major improvements that cost $47,000. On May 14, 1886, the fort's name was changed to Fort Hancock, in honor of Maj. Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock, who had died on February 9.

Capt. Theodore A. Baldwin and Company I, Tenth United States Cavalry, formed the first garrison of the independent post. Thereafter, it was generally garrisoned by mixed detachments of infantry and cavalry rarely numbering more than sixty men. These troops patrolled the Rio Grande to prevent illegal crossings by smugglers, Mexican bandits, or insurrectionists. Post commanders included ethnologist and author Capt. John G. Bourke (June-August 1885) and Maj. S. B. M. Young (August 1885-November 1887).

Fort Hancock suffered at various times from the ravages of both water and fire. Under Bourke, soldiers of the Third Cavalry constructed dikes to protect the post from overflow from the Rio Grande. On the night of May 31, 1886, the western dike broke and the lower portion of the fort was flooded.

The break was repaired and the dike strengthened, but four nights later a heavy gale pushed water over the retaining wall and flooded the entire post to a depth of eighteen inches to three feet. In the mid-afternoon of February 14, 1889, the carpenter and blacksmith shops were burned, and on the morning of March 30 the blacksmith and wheelwright's shop followed. Fires on May 4 and May 11 burned the post gymnasium, the quartermaster's stable, and the haystack. By this time Fort Hancock had virtually outlived its usefulness. It was turned over to the Department of the Interior on November 1, 1895, and abandoned by the army on December 6. A marker on U.S. Highway 80, fifty-two miles southeast of El Paso, marks the site.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Fort Hancock

#2

Post by WTR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 am

There recent claim to fame is 5 State football ( six man ) titles in 6 years from 86-92. Not much since.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Fort Hancock

#3

Post by flechero » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Maybe best know for where Andy Dufraine crossed the border after escaping prison in the Shawshank Redemption. :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”