Moral Dilemma

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 8

Moral Dilemma

Post by narcissist »

Needed some ethical help, ok about two months ago a puppie about I'd say 4-5 months old showed up at the ranch. Well it didn't have a coller so we took it into the vet to have it scanned for chip with no luck. So my wife and myself decided to adopt it, had the pup for around 2wks took care of it ect.

Then found a flyer with info about the dog so I did the right thing and contacted the owner. When the person showed up I could tell they we're a little off, smelt of alcohol around noon maybe 1-pm. Also had those type of sunglasses where you can't see their eyes (bloodshot) "guessing"? Anyway gave it to the rightful owner without compensation or any expectations at all.

Just the other day the same pup showed back up but with its buddy this time. Just so you know this wasn't a easy task for this pup, as the owner had explained how far they live which was around 5-6 miles as the crow flies.

Well the pup is now head shy but its buddie is even worse, I'm talking shaking while you get near it and of course very head shy. Both are extremely malnourished, see ribs ect. My wife wants to basically keeps both dogs due to the condition they are in.

Being both dog lovers and knowing we will give them the best home we possibly can.

My question to you all is what do you think?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

If they were in that kind of condition I would keep them. I love dogs and trust them more than most people. Seeing them in bad condition would really bother me. So yep, right or wrong, I would keep them. Maybe take some pictures of their condition in case that piece of garbage that mistreated them tries to get them back. Then you have evidence of their poor condition for the judge. If it comes to that. I'm betting he won't show up.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Since you are likely rural, I would contact the sheriff and/or game warden. Perhaps maybe if your county has a humane society, call them as well. Offer to legally adopt the animals.

cirus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cirus »

Keep them and don't say a word and leave the law out of it.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I wouldn't get law enforcement involved either. I would consider taking pictures of them to document their condition, and maybe going back to the vet for a once-over. That will provide you third party documentation of their condition when they showed up at your place.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Boxerrider wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 am I wouldn't get law enforcement involved either. I would consider taking pictures of them to document their condition, and maybe going back to the vet for a once-over. That will provide you third party documentation of their condition when they showed up at your place.
This, and it doesn’t seem to me like that much of a moral dilemma. It seems obvious they’re being abused, and they didn’t start out this way. One could make the "whose property is it" argument and satisfy the law .... if one were so inclined .... or one could make the "do right by the dog, and it will do right by you" argument. Doing the next right thing isn’t always the next easy thing. It seems like the first dog knows you’re a safe haven, and rescued his buddy. That kind of loyalty should be rewarded. Be the pack leader he deserves.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I think from a moral standpoint, those pups chose you and your misses for better or worse. I'm not a lawyer but perhaps there's a case to be made against thier previous owners based on the condition of the pups. Not sure but I'd wager that they're yours now.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Another option:
Contact your local LE agency and report the animal abuse and offer to take in the pups. Yes, there is a risk the dogs will be returned to the abusive owner but if you don't then some other dogs will simply take the place of those two and in the end you have only made other dogs suffer.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Keep them. They willingly picked you.

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

I'd keep them, I hate to see dogs abused.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Keep them and give them the best life you can! Never know someday they may give you back more than you thought possible!
Last edited by crazy2medic on Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

A pure bred high dollar dog dollar dog found me one day. I couldn't pick up a garden hose or a shovel for irrigation without her running off and screaming and looking back to see where I was. She obviously had been beaten. I never looked for an owner. Now, she is the sweetest most gentle 130 lb fluff ball you could meet, But even after 6 years of never being hit and given nothing but love, if I stumble and lurch toward her, she gets scared. I say keep the dog.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

G.A. Heath wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:23 am Another option:
Contact your local LE agency and report the animal abuse and offer to take in the pups. Yes, there is a risk the dogs will be returned to the abusive owner but if you don't then some other dogs will simply take the place of those two and in the end you have only made other dogs suffer.
In most cases I would say this should be the way to go. However, I have a little story about our latest addition. We received a call from the director of the local rescue (not going to mention the name for security of the rescue) wanting to know if we would be able to "foster" a 3 month old pit bull puppy. This poor puppy had been abused starting at about 6 weeks old all the way to when the courts took it at 3 months old. It had been documented by neighbors and video existed. The police were called and the dog was removed from the home and the owner arrested for cruelty. The dog was put into the care of the rescue until the court case was complete. As angry as the owner was when he was arrested, they were afraid he would try to come take the dog so we were asked to "foster" him until they could close the case and put him up for adoption and we agreed (she knew what she was doing asking us to foster).
To shorten this story up, the court took the puppy away from them, gave him a years probation, but did not take the other dogs from the home as there was no evidence of abuse to them (their words not mine). Nor did they prevent them from acquiring any other dogs. Now, we saw the videos and this guy was slapping, punching and kicking this puppy. When we got him, he was being treated for 2 broken ribs, a dislocated front shoulder and numerous bruises AT 6-12 WEEKS OLD. Therefore I don't have much faith in the courts to do the right thing to those that abuse defenseless animals.
Like I said, the director knew what she was doing calling us to foster because we ended up adopting him. This is him at 6 months, healed up, 60 lbs., and a momma's boy for sure. My wife can't get out of his site.
Attachments
IMG_2190.PNG
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 8

Post by narcissist »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 am If they were in that kind of condition I would keep them. I love dogs and trust them more than most people. Seeing them in bad condition would really bother me. So yep, right or wrong, I would keep them. Maybe take some pictures of their condition in case that piece of garbage that mistreated them tries to get them back. Then you have evidence of their poor condition for the judge. If it comes to that. I'm betting he won't show up.
10-4 on photos, think your right about him not showing up anyway.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Return to “Off-Topic”