Online Sales Taxes is being collected

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Count
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Online Sales Taxes is being collected

Post by Count »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am Effective Oct 1, 2019.

Texas is enforcing a online-sales tax on any online seller with $500,000 online yearly sales to Texas.
I wanted to place an online order for a scope from out of state seller and I was hit with the online sales tax.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... ut-slowly/
Even if it's baby steps, it's good to see them doing something to make it harder for criminals to commit tax fraud.
The information in this message is not provided in the course of a client relationship and is not intended as legal, accounting, or other professional advice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Scott, What you might be missing is who the tax is on. The state sales tax is on you, not the merchant. It is the merchants responsibility to collect it from "YOU" and then forward it to the state. The location of the merchant matters not. "YOU" don't live in Oklahoma and use their resources daily. "You" live in Texas and use Texas resources daily.

By the way. Oklahoma has a State income tax of roughly 5.25% to go along with that 5% sales tax. I think I like the 6.25% sales tax with no income tax better.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Count wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:07 am
Beiruty wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am Effective Oct 1, 2019.

Texas is enforcing a online-sales tax on any online seller with $500,000 online yearly sales to Texas.
I wanted to place an online order for a scope from out of state seller and I was hit with the online sales tax.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... ut-slowly/
Even if it's baby steps, it's good to see them doing something to make it harder for criminals to commit tax fraud.
I am as greedy as the rest of the folks on the forum. I loved shirking my sales taxes. I always knew I still owed them. We are lucky the State can't go back and figure out how much we all owe them from our failure to pay when we bought stuff from online merchants. It was a good ride while it lasted.

I think some of the anger is coming from a lack of understanding about who the state sales tax is on.

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by narcissist »

Saw this coming years ago, figured it would be on any amount of money though. Only thing is they know you get the best price from the big distributors thats the reason they put the $500,000 price tag on it. Soon they may make it from anywhere, money hungry. :grumble
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

Vendors have been collecting TX sales tax and paying the State since the 80s that I know of. People in El Paso have had large purchases shipped to NM In order to avoid the tax. ( NM does not collect tax on internet sales.)

Return to “Off-Topic”