Woman killed by FT Worth PD officer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Woman killed by FT Worth PD officer

Post by Grayling813 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:08 am I don't think it is overcharging. Apparently the suspect in this case refuses to cooperate with police, which is his right. But that also means there is no way to determine his motives for the killing. Based solely on the facts, and assuming the worst possible motive, murder seems like an appropriate charge.

Any lesser charge would require a belief that the shooting was accidental, etc., but that is really hard to show if the suspect is not saying anything.
He may have learned something from watching the Amber Guyger incident and trial. He may also be totally aware the worst thing you can do is talk to the police, as has been discussed here many times.

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FastCarry »

I think the reason why its murder is because not following protocol or training isnt accidental.

He should not have gone through the back yard. He should not have had his weapon drawn, he should not have discharged his weapon while still finishing is commands.

It was a welfare check and open structure call. He did not do anything he was supposed to and everything he wasnt supposed to. Thats not accidental.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:20 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:08 am I don't think it is overcharging. Apparently the suspect in this case refuses to cooperate with police, which is his right. But that also means there is no way to determine his motives for the killing. Based solely on the facts, and assuming the worst possible motive, murder seems like an appropriate charge.

Any lesser charge would require a belief that the shooting was accidental, etc., but that is really hard to show if the suspect is not saying anything.
He may have learned something from watching the Amber Guyger incident and trial. He may also be totally aware the worst thing you can do is talk to the police, as has been discussed here many times.
:iagree:

Don't talk to police until you have conferred with an attorney, and have an attorney present, and advising you, during all police interactions. Period.

I'm just saying that based on the facts that have been reported, murder does not appear to be an overcharge. Any lesser charge would require some mitigating factors, which have not come to light as of yet.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 20

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I for one am more interested in the penalty for the Ft Worth police department. They are just as guilty as he is. This was a dad gummed wellness check! What the heck is with the way they approached the call? That easily could have been any one of us. I know I am not the only one who might have a gun in his hand in my own darned home!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 pm I for one am more interested in the penalty for the Ft Worth police department. They are just as guilty as he is. This was a dad gummed wellness check! What the heck is with the way they approached the call? That easily could have been any one of us. I know I am not the only one who might have a gun in his hand in my own darned home!

Whoever made the decision to respond in this manner bears at least some responsibility for the ultimate outcome. I think there is at least one more person who needs to be criminally charged in this case.

03Lightningrocks

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:36 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 pm I for one am more interested in the penalty for the Ft Worth police department. They are just as guilty as he is. This was a dad gummed wellness check! What the heck is with the way they approached the call? That easily could have been any one of us. I know I am not the only one who might have a gun in his hand in my own darned home!

Whoever made the decision to respond in this manner bears at least some responsibility for the ultimate outcome. I think there is at least one more person who needs to be criminally charged in this case.
From some of my posts it is pretty obvious I am impatient with race baiting but to be honest, I have to wonder if the response has to do with it being a lower income mainly black neighborhood. I would love to know if it is department policy to respond to ALL wellness checks in tactical combat fashion.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

this was not "overcharging", this was completely appropriate.
I like other, also would really like to see what happens to the department and/or the senior officer in charge. Who ever called for 10 units to respond needs to face charges.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Atatiana Jefferson pointed gun at window before Fort Worth officer killed her, nephew told authorities
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... thorities/
A murder warrant for Aaron Dean, the Fort Worth officer who killed Atatiana Jefferson in her home, recounts what led up to the shooting from the perspective of her 8-year-old nephew.

The boy, who was in the room with Jefferson when she was shot, told a forensic interviewer that he and his aunt were playing video games together about 2:30 a.m. Saturday when she heard noises outside their home in the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue.

Jefferson, 28, took her handgun from her purse and pointed it “toward the window” before she was shot, the nephew said, according to the arrest-warrant affidavit.
“It’s only appropriate that Ms. Jefferson would have a gun,” he (family attorney Lee Merritt) said at a news conference Tuesday, noting that she had a license to carry the legally owned firearm. "When you think there’s someone prowling around in the back at 2 a.m. in the morning, you may need to arm yourself. That person could have a gun.”
She was one of us....

philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

There is a quote "to a hammer everything is a nail".

I hope it is repeated over and over to the police cadets that everyone is not a bad guy. Protect and Serve.

I am an armchair quarterback now, but if your are trying to sneak into the backyard so that when someone does announce "Police" at the front door, you can catch the bad guy leaving from a rear entrance, why do you have your flashlight on and not ducking under windows.

It seems shining your flashlight into a window, while standing in the middle of a bedroom window, at 2:30 in the morning, is a good way to get shot by a bad guy or a homeowner.

RIP great Auntie.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 pm There is a quote "to a hammer everything is a nail".

I hope it is repeated over and over to the police cadets that everyone is not a bad guy. Protect and Serve.

I am an armchair quarterback now, but if your are trying to sneak into the backyard so that when someone does announce "Police" at the front door, you can catch the bad guy leaving from a rear entrance, why do you have your flashlight on and not ducking under windows.

It seems shining your flashlight into a window, while standing in the middle of a bedroom window, at 2:30 in the morning, is a good way to get shot by a bad guy or a homeowner.

RIP great Auntie.
If that were going down in my back yard I would go full blown tactical inside my home. I would arm myself with my 12 gage. I would avoid all windows and doors while remaining low to the ground and stay concealed as possible. It would never enter my mid that a cop was in my yard. Maybe it would now but before now it wouldn't have.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would also call the Police. We have had several occasions when people have impersonated the Police. I need to see an official car with lights flashing.

03Lightningrocks

WTR wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:38 pm :iagree:

I would also call the Police. We have had several occasions when people have impersonated the Police. I need to see an official car with lights flashing.
That could lead into a whole nuther conversation but I have thought this same thing. "Heck, I have broke no laws, why would the cops be at my house"? Bad guys have been known to impersonate cops.

Topic author
gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

I’ve been wondering how this was dispatched. Since the neighbor used the non-emergency number was it recorded? And did dispatcher released it as welfare check or possible break-in? The LEOs acted like it was a break in vs a welfare check.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Listen to the call to the police. Not one time did the neighbor request a well fare check. He said the doors were open. I can understand why the officers responded the way they did because they did not know what they were facing. Park away from the address, walk in stealth mode, and size up the situation first. You just don’t walk up and knock on the door.

With that being said the officer who shot through the window had so many things that he could have done and this would not have ended in the killing of this young lady.

We have too many officers dying and one citizen innocently killed by the police is one too many. The Academy is going to have to go back to the drawing board and teach some different tactics.

Return to “Off-Topic”