Road rage

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Road rage

Post by Scott B. »

Many years ago I was driving into the outskirts of Kansas City on I-70 from the Missouri side. Somewhere along there I-70 opens from 2-lane to 3 or 4 lanes. Some jackwagon merged onto the freeway and proceeded to cross two-and-a-half lanes in one move without ever seeing me. I honked and maneuvered to avoid the collision. We were both driving pickup trucks.

He completely lost his mind and starting brake checking and all the stupid road rage stuff. I tried to back off and let him continue on but traffic was getting pretty bad. Ended up in stop-and-go traffic with him directly ahead of me! He turned around in his seat and pointed a silver handgun at me.

I dug my 1911 Commander out of the glove box (concealed carry was a no-no at the time). Never displayed it or held it where he or anybody else could see it, but I guess my body language and move was pretty obvious. He forced his way over to the right like a crazy person, hit the breakdown lane and made a beeline for the exit.

I never called the police.

Really glad he did not get out of his vehicle or pop a round off. I was still pretty wound up about it when I got to my destination.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

chamberc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chamberc »

narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:09 pm
chamberc wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm
Texas does not have any law regarding brandishing.
This happened before the open carry law took effect, not sure if that matters?
[/quote]

Nope. Texas has nothing defined and hasn't, as brandishing. It's assault.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

chamberc wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:21 pm
narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:09 pm
chamberc wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm
Texas does not have any law regarding brandishing.
This happened before the open carry law took effect, not sure if that matters?
Nope. Texas has nothing defined and hasn't, as brandishing. It's assault.
[/quote]

Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong.. But it seems like I read somewhere (and I think it was here). That depending how how/where you pull your firearm makes the difference... Example, someone comes up to me that I suspect is about to rob or assault me, I pull my handgun from it's holster but point it at the ground.. That's ok... BUT IF I point said handgun towards them, THEN it can be considered assault... Assuming of course that I'm not in actual fear for my life....

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:36 am We were coming through Waco on a heavy traffic Sunday afternoon. I was driving a 36 foot RV pulling a car. Because of the size of that combination, I have to look far ahead. I saw 8 cars lining up to come on the entrance ramp near where the Burger King was on the South side. I signaled and moved to the center lane. I was watching in my right mirror to see when the last of the eight cars passed me so that i could move back to the right lane. I drive slower than traffic and try to stay out of the way of faster cars.

In the mirror, I saw the last car swerve toward the side of the RV, nearly striking it. While it wasn't clear what the distraction was, it was clear that the driver was distracted. I lightly tapped the air horn to remind the driver that i was there. That set off a flurry of gestures and the driver, a woman, was clearly yelling at me. She slowed when she was level with the front of the RV and I could see that she had both a cigarette and a cell phone in her hands and was trying to drive with her palms. She swerved toward me a couple of more times then accelerated, moved in front of me and brake checked me multiple times. I signaled and moved right (I still had to contend with the traffic behind m) and she moved back to the right lane in front of my, brake checking me several more times. I looked for an exit which I could take after she had already passed it to get away from her but the space at the exits was too great and she could have followed me across the painted stripes.

I had my wife digging out the cell phone to call 911. About that time, the driver took an exit, still offering me the one finger salute. Who, in their right mind challenges a 22,000lb vehicle with a Toyota Corolla? The paint condition of the car suggested that she didn't consider it to have much value. The same could be said for her life.
all the right responses from you. Turn, exit, get away. Get police involved. Two things I’ve done & teach my teenage drivers to do.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am So rule of thumb is one should always call 911 immediately when in a situation as such? What would you tell the operator? Would you tell them that some bo-zo is trying to run me off the road and I have my firearm out? Just curious
I would not mention the firearm. Simply report the aggressive driver with car details.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am So rule of thumb is one should always call 911 immediately when in a situation as such? What would you tell the operator? Would you tell them that some bo-zo is trying to run me off the road and I have my firearm out? Just curious
I would not mention the firearm. Simply report the aggressive driver with car details.
I have reported road ragers. I always tell the dispatcher that "I am armed and I have my LTC". Responding officers need to know that.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:16 pm
Texas_Blaze wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 pm
I have reported road ragers. I always tell the dispatcher that "I am armed and I have my LTC". Responding officers need to know that.
I worry about what goes on in the mind of an officer when he hears firearm & road rage as part of the communication from dispatch. Once contact is made, I definitely would hand over the LTC with the DL and if asked about the firearm I’d tell them where it is. All of this is assuming that I never showed the weapon to the other driver.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 am Thought it would be cool if anyone wanted tell everyone your most extreme case of road rage. Since im sure we all have had some sort of incident in the past.

Mine was pulling out of Walmart years ago and a truck pulling a nice off road mudding truck with probably 54 inch Super Swampers on a trailer almost hit us so I honked to get his attention. Well apparently his son? in a Dodge Dually 5500 4x4 pulled up behind us honking going Cookoo!!

Then preceded to pull to the left of us, [ we are in a lil car by the way ] he was right next to us swerving toward us with his window down cursing trying to scare me or actruly slam the vehicle back and forth over and over.

This was in the middle of a city he was in the turning lane by the way he did this for a couple miles, at the time I carried a pistol in the car a Glock model 22. It got to the point of being not sure if our lives were in danger. I told my wife once he slams us grab the sterring wheel the best you can, im going to start UNLOADING the magazine just hang on It'll be ok. I was completely calm and thinking straight by the way.

Took the pistol out of the console to be prepared and as soon as he saw the gun by 'accident' [ guess since he was so high up ]. You see him slamming on the breaks and nothing but Smoke and skidding behind us. In no way shape or form did I intend for him to see the weapon, it had got to the point that our lives were in Danger! Almost had to use it, glad I didn't have to since he looked like maybe 19-20yo.

All because of a Honk at daddy, crazy people out there be prepared for the worst.
In NO way were you in a position of having to use your weapon. If this went on for a "Couple of Miles" your responsibility was to STOP, pull off, disengage (de-escalate) NOT let the situation continue. Get a good description of the vehicle(s) and report to police. There were two of you in your vehicle...one of you should been on your phone to 911....NOT planning on how you were going to 'Unload your magazine" on the guy.

YOUR actions were equally 'road rage'.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 6

Post by narcissist »

flintknapper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm
narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 am
In NO way were you in a position of having to use your weapon. If this went on for a "Couple of Miles" your responsibility was to STOP, pull off, disengage (de-escalate) NOT let the situation continue. Get a good description of the vehicle(s) and report to police. There were two of you in your vehicle...one of you should been on your phone to 911....NOT planning on how you were going to 'Unload your magazine" on the guy.

So honking the horn is road rage to stop someone from hitting you and it wasn't even the guy I honked at? Couldn't pull over or stop since we were in heavy traffic all around us or would of pulled over, only lane open was the turning lane that he was in. Pretty sure a vehicle is considered to be a deadly weapon? Yes my plan was to empty the magazine through his open window if deemed necessary at the point of impact. To protect my wife's life/my own.

Oh yeah our cell phone battery was dead so we had to stop at a Convinunce Store to borrow their Land Line. Batteries on cell phones back then didnt last to long this was in the famous Nokia Times.

I couldn't disagree anymore with you, my actions were not road rage sorry but honking at daddy doesn't count as road rage. If anyone had road rage it was the guy "trying" to intimidate someone that can not be intimidated.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

I ordered a cheap dash cam off Amazon, around $30. The thing has gone almost a year, though hot summer, and still makes great recordings. All I have to show so far is a guy cutting in front of a cement truck and almost getting paved over, but at least I know it captures a good bit of what goes on down the road.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 am Thought it would be cool if anyone wanted tell everyone your most extreme case of road rage. Since im sure we all have had some sort of incident in the past.

Mine was pulling out of Walmart years ago and a truck pulling a nice off road mudding truck with probably 54 inch Super Swampers on a trailer almost hit us so I honked to get his attention. Well apparently his son? in a Dodge Dually 5500 4x4 pulled up behind us honking going Cookoo!!

Then preceded to pull to the left of us, [ we are in a lil car by the way ] he was right next to us swerving toward us with his window down cursing trying to scare me or actruly slam the vehicle back and forth over and over.

This was in the middle of a city he was in the turning lane by the way he did this for a couple miles, at the time I carried a pistol in the car a Glock model 22. It got to the point of being not sure if our lives were in danger. I told my wife once he slams us grab the sterring wheel the best you can, im going to start UNLOADING the magazine just hang on It'll be ok. I was completely calm and thinking straight by the way.

Took the pistol out of the console to be prepared and as soon as he saw the gun by 'accident' [ guess since he was so high up ]. You see him slamming on the breaks and nothing but Smoke and skidding behind us. In no way shape or form did I intend for him to see the weapon, it had got to the point that our lives were in Danger! Almost had to use it, glad I didn't have to since he looked like maybe 19-20yo.

All because of a Honk at daddy, crazy people out there be prepared for the worst.

Exactly.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:20 pm

So honking the horn is road rage to stop someone from hitting you and it wasn't even the guy I honked at? Couldn't pull over or stop since we were in heavy traffic all around us or would of pulled over, only lane open was the turning lane that he was in. Pretty sure a vehicle is considered to be a deadly weapon? Yes my plan was to empty the magazine through his open window if deemed necessary at the point of impact. To protect my wife's life/my own.

Oh yeah our cell phone battery was dead so we had to stop at a Convinunce Store to borrow their Land Line. Batteries on cell phones back then didnt last to long this was in the famous Nokia Times.

I couldn't disagree anymore with you, my actions were not road rage sorry but honking at daddy doesn't count as road rage. If anyone had road rage it was the guy "trying" to intimidate someone that can not be intimidated.
No, I am not suggesting that 'honking' (on your part) was in any way 'road rage'. Either you misunderstood my comments or I presented them poorly. My point was you failed to initiate action(s) sufficient to de-escalate the situation. Instead...you were formulating a plan to 'empty your magazine' into the open window of the other vehicle.

I am all too familiar with 'city traffic' and while I was not present when your incident occurred I have never been in a situation (over a stretch of 2 miles) that I could not have come to a complete stop (if need be), managed a lane change, etc.

Now I understand there could be circumstances where this might not be immediately possible (to do safely). But unless the kid was willing to match/pace your speed exactly (to include a complete stop) then it sounds to me as if was nothing more than a ploy to intimidate you....and less an actual threat to your life or safety.

But...in the end, IF something had actually happened and IF you were to go to trial over your actions, please remember that your defense will hinge upon the reasonableness of your actions.

When you post on an internet site that you planned to 'unload your magazine' (and in another post that you carry 3 guns and 150 rds of ammo) and that you can NOT be 'intimidated', it comes across as bluster and bravado. No harm done here...but in court you'd be surprised how that might work against you.

So....perhaps more thought should be given to evasive vehicular maneuvers and de-escalation techniques than 'firepower'.

I pray that none of us ever face a REAL need to use deadly force, but some forethought to what it entails..both at the time and afterward would be a good thing.

priusron

Post by priusron »

I was going to get gas. The traffic was backed up because of a train. I jumped out of line because the entrance was 3 cars ahead. A guy jumped out of line right in front of me so I stopped. We then entered the supermarket parking lot. I drove over to the pumps and got out. As I was getting the pump ready, the guy pulled crossways behind me and blocked me in. He then started screaming how if I wasn’t an old man he would get out and kick my butt. I am also disabled. I just told him to move along. After a couple minutes of cursing and threatening me he exited his vehicle. My XD 45 appeared in my hand at low ready. My wife was already on the phone with 911. He finally decided to drive odd. I got his license number. Police was there within 1 minute. They never asked for my LTC. They said they would try to locate him and take care of it. At least 3 other people told me good job.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

priusron wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:01 pm I was going to get gas. The traffic was backed up because of a train. I jumped out of line because the entrance was 3 cars ahead. A guy jumped out of line right in front of me so I stopped. We then entered the supermarket parking lot. I drove over to the pumps and got out. As I was getting the pump ready, the guy pulled crossways behind me and blocked me in. He then started screaming how if I wasn’t an old man he would get out and kick my butt. I am also disabled. I just told him to move along. After a couple minutes of cursing and threatening me he exited his vehicle. My XD 45 appeared in my hand at low ready. My wife was already on the phone with 911. He finally decided to drive odd. I got his license number. Police was there within 1 minute. They never asked for my LTC. They said they would try to locate him and take care of it. At least 3 other people told me good job.
That was indeed a good job. You did nothing wrong by getting out of line to go to the gas station. No reason for that guy to follow you and cause a scene. You did nothing to advance the altercation, you simply acknowledged his presence and suggested he 'move on'...that is about as innocuous a response as could be issued.

Then when HE pushed things and exited his vehicle....you were well within your rights to ready your weapon. There was a clear disparity of force (you being older and disabled) and his previous threat to 'kick your butt' warranted your action. Your wife also acted appropriately...in calling 911 as soon as possible.

So, yeah....I'd say good job all around. :thumbs2:

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 6

Post by narcissist »

flintknapper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:49 pm
narcissist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:20 pm

No, I am not suggesting that 'honking' (on your part) was in any way 'road rage'. Either you misunderstood my comments or I presented them poorly. My point was you failed to initiate action(s) sufficient to de-escalate the situation. Instead...you were formulating a plan to 'empty your magazine' into the open window of the other vehicle.

I am all too familiar with 'city traffic' and while I was not present when your incident occurred I have never been in a situation (over a stretch of 2 miles) that I could not have come to a complete stop (if need be), managed a lane change, etc.

Now I understand there could be circumstances where this might not be immediately possible (to do safely). But unless the kid was willing to match/pace your speed exactly (to include a complete stop) then it sounds to me as if was nothing more than a ploy to intimidate you....and less an actual threat to your life or safety.

But...in the end, IF something had actually happened and IF you were to go to trial over your actions, please remember that your defense will hinge upon the reasonableness of your actions.

When you post on an internet site that you planned to 'unload your magazine' (and in another post that you carry 3 guns and 150 rds of ammo) and that you can NOT be 'intimidated', it comes across as bluster and bravado. No harm done here...but in court you'd be surprised how that might work against you.

So....perhaps more thought should be given to evasive vehicular maneuvers and de-escalation techniques than 'firepower'.

I pray that none of us ever face a REAL need to use deadly force, but some forethought to what it entails..both at the time and afterward would be a good thing.
I do agree with some of the things you stated, like the use of deadly force and stopping the vehicle *if* possible to deter the situation at hand. Sorry if I carry 150rnds of ammunition to help others and myself also suggest others to carry as much as they feel necessary. If I come off as bluster and bravado that no one could intimidate, cant help it "I am who I am". The plan was a auto pilot type reaction to help my poor wife who was scared for her life, so yes instantly my brain had a plan to stop the threat at hand.

I understand your post is meant to help me and try to make me realize what im saying could get me into trouble in the end. Thank you for your input/care of my saftey and im sure its also for others to read and realize somewhat the same thing.

What I think you just said about this website is it leaks info to whomever wants it? So if your not using a secure connection people please learn how to do so or everything will be used against you in court thanks to the posts you have said. I kinda had a feeling about this all along of course but good to hear it from the 'horses mouth' so to speak.

The 'real me' can probably never be truly traced luckily do to the fact of Applied Knowledge is Power. Might end up finding some poor guy that barely even knows how to use a computer?

The internet was NEVER meant to be used the way it is used today for example: money, data collection. It was meant to be Free and every program 'open source' with no rules/regulations of anykind. Privacy means the most because without it you have nothing.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Return to “Off-Topic”