Vehicle sale documentation question

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Vehicle sale documentation question

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Warning - Dumb question follows.

The recent Houston flooding managed to total my car, and I am looking for a replacement. I have a friend who is getting ready to trade in her 2017 BMW X5, and she will sell it to me for whatever they offer her, which I suspect will be too good to pass up.

From past memory when I gave a vehicle to my Brother in law (5+ years ago), I remember it being a real hassle to get the title transferred over. I had to write a letter, and get a bunch of stuff notarized, etc. So my question is what documentation should I complete on this transaction? If it matters, I'll be paying cash, and I completely trust the friend that I will be buying this vehicle from. I believe that she does not have it financed (it's paid in full on her end).

Is a simple bill of sale enough?

Will I need her to sign any other forms to get the title transferred?

Thanks in advance!

mrvmax

Re: Vehicle sale documentation question

Post by mrvmax »

Both of you fill out 130-u and take it with the title, proof of insurance to the tax office.

https://www.txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/ ... gistration

P.S. you don’t need the 130-U but it makes it easier. Make sure she signs over the title on front and back. If she has a lien on it that changes it some.

Archery1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Archery1 »

On the sellers side, in addition to the both of you going to tax office to properly document with the 130-U, the seller side needs to make sure and do a vehicle transfer notification to DPS (can be done online). Learned the extra step the hard way when lady I sold vehicle to decided to skip toll in Dallas. I was on the hook until that notice was done.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Does she need to go with me to the tax office? Or do I just get her to sign the form and take them both there?

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:50 pm Does she need to go with me to the tax office? Or do I just get her to sign the form and take them both there?
If I ever do a private party sale on vehicle, I am going to require the buyer meet me at tax office. It's not required, but depending on the luck of the draw on counter help, you may or may not get it all done in one trip. Take your insurance.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

She does not need to go with you, there is no reason if you have the title and form filled out with her signature where required.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Archery1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:43 pm On the sellers side, in addition to the both of you going to tax office to properly document with the 130-U, the seller side needs to make sure and do a vehicle transfer notification to DPS (can be done online). Learned the extra step the hard way when lady I sold vehicle to decided to skip toll in Dallas. I was on the hook until that notice was done.
I am dealing with just such an issue right now. Two years ago I sold one of our old trucks to an employee who was leaving us. I simply signed the title over to him. Dumb move on my part. He jerked around about completing the transfer for almost a year. meanwhile he was running up tolls. I did not know about the online vehicle transfer notification. That sure would have saved me some headaches. Thanks for the info.

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

One thing to remember is you’ll pay sales tax on the purchase price or the standard presumptive value, whichever is greater and she will lose out of the tax savings of the trade in at the stealership (net sales game there I believe).

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:50 pm Does she need to go with me to the tax office? Or do I just get her to sign the form and take them both there?
She can sign the application for title transfer and bill of sale and you can go to the tax office by yourself. Have done it this way about three times in the last 2 years.

Here is the kicker. Be sure to go within 30 days, I think that is correct, to do the transfer. If not, you will incur a substantial penalty that adds up quickly. :oops: I've done this also within the last year. The vehicle had a new vehicle registration on it and I threw the paperwork in the console thinking I would stop in and get it done when convenient. I forgot and about 6 months later I got to pay a substantial penalty on top of the vehicle tax.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm
Archery1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:43 pm On the sellers side, in addition to the both of you going to tax office to properly document with the 130-U, the seller side needs to make sure and do a vehicle transfer notification to DPS (can be done online). Learned the extra step the hard way when lady I sold vehicle to decided to skip toll in Dallas. I was on the hook until that notice was done.
I am dealing with just such an issue right now. Two years ago I sold one of our old trucks to an employee who was leaving us. I simply signed the title over to him. Dumb move on my part. He jerked around about completing the transfer for almost a year. meanwhile he was running up tolls. I did not know about the online vehicle transfer notification. That sure would have saved me some headaches. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, mine was to a friend of a friend who was in a real bind for a car. She was supposed to register it in Dallas once back home. That's was all fine, but the State knows nothing until they get notification of a title transfer. All toll runs go back against the plate and the person of record on title at that time. One simple notice from me, online, would have saved me over $200 of tolls/fines after they tracked me down. Still would have ignored but then they threatened to tie it all to my ability to register my current vehicles.

Return to “Off-Topic”