Vehicle carry laws

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Vehicle carry laws

Post by WTR »

What would be the latest State laws for vehicle carry when traveling ? My Wife and her Mom will be driving from Texas to Illinois and I am a bit confused by various sites. She is not a license holder. Thanks

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Vehicle carry laws

Post by oljames3 »

Handgunlaw.us is a good place to start your research. Since you are headed to IL, you will have issues. Personally, I would not carry at all, but rely on OC and other non-firearms means.
http://handgunlaw.us/

We must each decide for ourselves which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. Do your due diligence and be safe.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I always look up the state laws of states I’m going through. There are websites that break it down but I like to read it myself. I won’t ejected Illinois even though I grew up there due to their goofy laws. Here’s a reference guide: https://www.nracarryguard.com/resources ... -by-state/

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

WTR wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 am What would be the latest State laws for vehicle carry when traveling ? My Wife and her Mom will be driving from Texas to Illinois and I am a bit confused by various sites. She is not a license holder. Thanks
I keep the 'Legal Heat' App on my phone for quick reference to the gun laws in various States.

Unless otherwise prohibited...they could carry (in vehicle) in Texas under the Motorist Protection Act. Depending on what other States they were traveling through...similar laws may or may not apply.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/legal-hea ... d499394939

Odds are....they would be better served with OC spray and be very careful about where (and when) you choose to stop.

Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri are all 'Constitutional Carry' States and they shouldn't have any problems carrying there. BUT Illinois requires the weapon to be unloaded and fully enclosed (read useless). There may finer points of the law or other restrictions that would need to be researched.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I took mrvmax’s advice am began looking up individual States. TX and Missouri are fine. Unfortunately Oklahoma’s CC does not take effect and will still be restricted to an unloaded pistol until Nov. 1st and Illinois plain sucks. I’ve got to convince her she needs a license. She did say we need to go to the range. Thanks all.

montgomery
Posts in topic: 2

Post by montgomery »

WTR wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 pm I took mrvmax’s advice am began looking up individual States. TX and Missouri are fine. Unfortunately Oklahoma’s CC does not take effect and will still be restricted to an unloaded pistol until Nov. 1st and Illinois plain sucks. I’ve got to convince her she needs a license. She did say we need to go to the range. Thanks all.
Y'all also need to consider Indian Reservations when traveling through. They are not bound by state laws, but they do need to abide by federal law.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Requirements and conditions for justified use of deadly force as a defense to prosecution. What is justified in one is a life sentence in another.

Where you can lawfully carry vary from state to state. What is legal in one is a 10 year prison sentence and $10,000 fine in another.

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

montgomery wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:14 pm
WTR wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 pm I took mrvmax’s advice am began looking up individual States. TX and Missouri are fine. Unfortunately Oklahoma’s CC does not take effect and will still be restricted to an unloaded pistol until Nov. 1st and Illinois plain sucks. I’ve got to convince her she needs a license. She did say we need to go to the range. Thanks all.
Y'all also need to consider Indian Reservations when traveling through. They are not bound by state laws, but they do need to abide by federal law.
We deal withIndian Reservation quite a bit in NM. She will have stay on Federal highways and not stop while ion a Reservation. Now I just need for her to take the class......she is a good shot.

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

montgomery wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:14 pm
We deal with Indian Reservation quite a bit in NM. She will stay on Federal highways and not stop while on a Reservation. Now I just need for her to take the class......she is a good shot.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

In Illinois, you can car carry concealed if you have a concealed carry license from any state. You can also transport in a locked case, even without a CCL. I used to do this to carry my firearm to my hotel room from my car, and this is acceptable to IL. IL regards your hotel room as your residence, and non-residents do not need a FOID. I now have an IL non-resident CCL, so no longer an issue for me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

LDP wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm
oohrah wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am In Illinois, you can car carry concealed if you have a concealed carry license from any state.
Do you have a source for this?
Per http://handgunlaw.us, IL does not accept any other states' licenses.
If the IL law has changed recently, could you please contact the website administrator and ask them to update their information? Thank you.
It’s already in the handgunlaw page
430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

LDP wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm
oohrah wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am In Illinois, you can car carry concealed if you have a concealed carry license from any state.
Do you have a source for this?
Per http://handgunlaw.us, IL does not accept any other states' licenses.
If the IL law has changed recently, could you please contact the website administrator and ask them to update their information? Thank you.
Thanks Keith.

LDP - it is already included at handgunlaw.us, You have to scroll down a bunch.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”