New IRA

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 4

New IRA

Post by clarionite »

Years ago I had a 401K with matching. It was a disaster. The thing tanked, loosing all the matching and half of what I had put in. I pulled it out. Didn't have the stomach to keep watching it.

15 years later, I started an IRA with company matching. Last month the first deposit hit my TD Ameritrade account. I sat on it for a couple of weeks to figure out what I wanted to invest it in. Three days ago I made my first purchases. Of course immediately things started going down. I'm thinking of setting up an account that people can contribute to that will keep me from investing in the market. Or at a very least for me to give them three days notice before I do invest so they can short.

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New IRA

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Are you saying you are wanting to set up a fund for people to invest in?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

No, I was joking that I'm going to set up a fund for those who want their IRA's and 401K's to continue to appreciate in value to contribute to to keep me from investing in the market. As every time I invest in the market it seems to go down.

As an alternative I could give them three days notice before investing so they could do short sales on stocks in preparation for me investing. LOL

easy10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by easy10 »

Major banks offer variable annuities with caps on losses (10%, 20%, ...). Like insurance, the more protection the less return, The market is up 25% this year but an annuity also has caps on the gains. Not in one, in the market, so not sure what they would have paid this year.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Three days is hardly a sufficient time to judge the merits of an investment in the stock market. Stocks go up, they go down, they go sideways. History shows that in the long run you're much better off to invest and stay invested. Scott Burns was a columnist for The Dallas Morning News and his studies indicated that a broad index fund was usually the best place to invest.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

der Teufel wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:02 pm Three days is hardly a sufficient time to judge the merits of an investment in the stock market. Stocks go up, they go down, they go sideways. History shows that in the long run you're much better off to invest and stay invested. Scott Burns was a columnist for The Dallas Morning News and his studies indicated that a broad index fund was usually the best place to invest.
So far I’m in two EFTs. I know it’s too early. Just found it funny that as soon as I
Bought they started downward. The bigger share of the money is in SPY right now. It looks like a good fund spread across the S&P

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's a long game. The thing is you want to spread out your investments. SPY is great, so is QQQ in NASDAQ as these funs initially build (mostly by your regular payments). Two important things:

Investing on a regular bases (Same amount every payday) is smart. Your buying more when he market is down, and less when its up. Its a long game.

Watching your investments too closely will drive you nuts.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Liberty wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:34 am It's a long game. The thing is you want to spread out your investments. SPY is great, so is QQQ in NASDAQ as these funs initially build (mostly by your regular payments). Two important things:

Investing on a regular bases (Same amount every payday) is smart. Your buying more when he market is down, and less when its up. Its a long game.

Watching your investments too closely will drive you nuts.
I have QQQ on my watchlist. Along with DIA and MDY.
As funds go in I’ll buy some of those.
I also have CNRG now.

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lumberjack98 »

clarionite wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:03 pm No, I was joking that I'm going to set up a fund for those who want their IRA's and 401K's to continue to appreciate in value to contribute to to keep me from investing in the market. As every time I invest in the market it seems to go down.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. :thumbs2:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Return to “Off-Topic”