Any pilots in here?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PlatinumCouch
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Any pilots in here?

Post by PlatinumCouch »

LDP wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm Sorry about the acronyms.
Hey, if he wants to be a pilot, he better learn fast.
Maybe the Pilot Acronym Song is a good place to start! :mrgreen: :biggrinjester: :smilelol5:

That's Perfect! :lol::
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I'm going for my first lesson tomorrow.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PlatinumCouch wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 pm
AndyC wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm I can fly, I'm a pilot
I betcha that was referencing this:

You Got It Andy!
I was hoping someone would ! :lol:
I thought that was the reference.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Killadocg23 »

sawdust wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am Your main question being essentially, "how do I get started", the short answer is, "Just do it." In any new endeavor, the 1st step is generally the most difficult. However, once you put yourself into that endeavor, you will be pulled into the process.

Pick any airport in the Houston area (other than Hobby or Intercontinental), and there is likely a flight training operation there. Many of them offer what is called a "Discovery Flight" for a fixed fee. Usually, such flights last at least 30 minutes, but often are longer. It's partly a sight-seeing flight and partly an introduction to flying.

Go to an airport, let the person that you encounter know what you are inquiring about, talk to pilots, talk to an instructor, then schedule that 1st lesson.
Although there will be a few initial considerations to make, do not try to formulate an entire plan of action at the very beginning of that very first step.

1st consideration:
1)Take lessons from a busy, close in airport (i.e. Ellington on the south side, David Wayne Hooks on the North side)
2) Or take lessons from a smaller, quieter airport (Pearland Regional on the south, Conroe on the far north, LaPorte on the east, several to choose from on the west).

OR
Plan on the short drive from Houston up to Bryan, and I will be happy to give you an intro flight, and talk with you about the training process and some of the considerations that go into that training.
Thank you very much sir. Do you mind if I send you a PM?

sawdust

Post by sawdust »

[/quote]

Thank you very much sir. Do you mind if I send you a PM?
[/quote]

Sure Thing

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MadMonkey »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 am My son sent me this video link this morning. It’s a military flight video game, but apparently it’s the most detailed one ever devised, and a lot of the players are themselves retired fighter pilots etc. It requires actual learning of how to fly and fight the various aircraft and weapons systems, and they behave just like in the real world instead like the fantasy in some game-designer's head. It looked pretty interesting to me. No, it’s not real world flying, but it seemed liked a pretty good virtual imitation of it.
I love DCS but I've barely scratched the surface of it. I'm much better with civilian aircraft ;-)
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

Captain Roger Victor :clapping: perfect!

I subscribed to the channel on you tube, now I have to waste several hours. :lol:
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I finished my second flight lesson today. First was in an Archer II, instructor did the take off and then handed me the controls until landing. Second was in a 172N, I did the take off, and hand controls until the landing. Instructor simulated an engine loss landing. We coasted from 10 miles out.

howdy

Post by howdy »

What airplane did you like best. I learned in a Cherokee 140 back in 1967. I have always preferred a low wing over a high wing. Where are you taking lessons?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

FL450
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FL450 »

I fly corporate out of Hobby
If your on Facebook join the Houston Area Aviators FB page.
A great group with good resources and knowledge.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm
No problem. Thanks! What does the "initial entry" part mean? My neighbor across the street flew dust off Hueys in Vietnam, and then was a flight instructor in the Army. He later flew for the DEA for a while. He ended up as a flight instructor at Bell, which sent him overseas to instruct the rotary pilots of client militaries in other countries. He lived and taught in Iran for a while before the Shah was deposed. Interesting guy.
Same here, except I flew Cobras in RVN and afterwards. No DEA though. Did the Iran thing too. Army Flight School class 68-???

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am
No problem. Thanks! What does the "initial entry" part mean? My neighbor across the street flew dust off Hueys in Vietnam, and then was a flight instructor in the Army. He later flew for the DEA for a while. He ended up as a flight instructor at Bell, which sent him overseas to instruct the rotary pilots of client militaries in other countries. He lived and taught in Iran for a while before the Shah was deposed. Interesting guy.
Same here, except I flew Cobras in RVN and afterwards. No DEA though. Did the Iran thing too. Army Flight School class 68-???
I don’t know what flight school class he was in. He first entered the Army as an infantryman, and was stationed at Fort Bragg....I don’t know what unit, but I assume airborne of some kind or other...but he told me his first issued weapon was a Garand, so it was a long time ago, and he’s getting on in years now. Super nice guy. He said he went on to flight school after a stint in the infantry, and that’s where he started flying.

That’s about all the details I can remember....except that he’s not very fond of guns. He doesn’t care if I have them, he's just got no desire to ever be around them again. One day, he had asked me about suppressors and how they worked, and I told him, and explained how they don’t really silence the weapon. I asked him, "do you remember that snapping sound of incoming rounds going overhead?" He said, "no, but I sure remember that SMACK! they make when they hit flesh." I assume that he must have had wounded crew members at some point.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 pm
G26ster wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am
I don’t know what flight school class he was in. He first entered the Army as an infantryman, and was stationed at Fort Bragg....I don’t know what unit, but I assume airborne of some kind or other...but he told me his first issued weapon was a Garand, so it was a long time ago, and he’s getting on in years now. Super nice guy. He said he went on to flight school after a stint in the infantry, and that’s where he started flying.

That’s about all the details I can remember....except that he’s not very fond of guns. He doesn’t care if I have them, he's just got no desire to ever be around them again. One day, he had asked me about suppressors and how they worked, and I told him, and explained how they don’t really silence the weapon. I asked him, "do you remember that snapping sound of incoming rounds going overhead?" He said, "no, but I sure remember that SMACK! they make when they hit flesh." I assume that he must have had wounded crew members at some point.
Dang, this guy sounds darn near like me. Entered as an Infantryman too, made Staff Sgt, 6 years later went to flight school as an officer, etc., etc. My first rifle issued was a Garand in 1962. Got an M14 in '63, a 1911 in '65 and an M16 in '68, and a S&W Model 10 in '69.I'm 77 now, so I guess I'm getting on in years too :-) Ain't we all?

Return to “Off-Topic”