Any pilots in here?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PlatinumCouch
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Any pilots in here?

Post by PlatinumCouch »

I can fly, I'm a pilot

IERW class 88-11 U.S. Army

Many, many hours and many years later, I am an Instructor at FlightSafety International.
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV »

Take a discovery flight then go get your medical.

AOPA has some resources:
https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OneGun »

LDP wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:34 pm
OneGun wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am The FAA took away by license when I tried to land on runway 37.
I am glad you didn't succeed! You'd have to answer to CN.
I know Chuck knows Victoria's Secret, but he's tight lipped!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I am the uninformed speaking the unknown.... But I had read somewhere recently that the average cost between lessons, materials and flight time averaged around 10k to get your basic license.... I can't verify any of that, but was just curious if that was about right.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Been flying since 1967. Wife got her license in 1985. Built 8 airplanes. Issued Airworthiness Certificates to over 950. Owned my own private airport since 1990.

Yep; We're Pilots!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PlatinumCouch wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm I can fly, I'm a pilot

Many, many hours and many years later, I am an Instructor at FlightSafety International.
For the uninitiated ignorati such as myself, can you please translate that into English? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 pm

For the uninitiated ignorati such as myself, can you please translate that into English? :mrgreen:
Sure, Sorry about the acronyms.
IERW = Initial Entry RotaryWIng (Helicopters). Class #88-11= 11th class of the year 1988
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PlatinumCouch wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm

IERW = Initial Entry RotaryWIng (Helicopters). Class #88-11= 11th class of the year 1988
No problem. Thanks! What does the "initial entry" part mean? My neighbor across the street flew dust off Hueys in Vietnam, and then was a flight instructor in the Army. He later flew for the DEA for a while. He ended up as a flight instructor at Bell, which sent him overseas to instruct the rotary pilots of client militaries in other countries. He lived and taught in Iran for a while before the Shah was deposed. Interesting guy.

We were talking about suppressors one day because he’d asked me about them, and I was telling him how suppressors don’t eliminated the supersonic crack of rifle bullets. I asked him—since he’d been under fire before—if he remembered the sound of that crack. He said the only sound he remembered was the wet slap a bullet makes when it hits one of his crewmen. He didn’t want to talk about that anymore, so I left it alone.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Yes, and owned a flight school and airport years ago.

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm

No problem. Thanks! What does the "initial entry" part mean? My neighbor across the street flew dust off Hueys in Vietnam, and then was a flight instructor in the Army. He later flew for the DEA for a while. He ended up as a flight instructor at Bell, which sent him overseas to instruct the rotary pilots of client militaries in other countries. He lived and taught in Iran for a while before the Shah was deposed. Interesting guy.

We were talking about suppressors one day because he’d asked me about them, and I was telling him how suppressors don’t eliminated the supersonic crack of rifle bullets. I asked him—since he’d been under fire before—if he remembered the sound of that crack. He said the only sound he remembered was the wet slap a bullet makes when it hits one of his crewmen. He didn’t want to talk about that anymore, so I left it alone.

I understand completely...

"Initial Entry" is meant as Initial Flight Training (Training a non-pilot to be a pilot) Everything after Initial Flight Training would be considered Transition (I.E. learning a different aircraft type) or Upgrade (I.E. Training to be an Instructor Pilot or Maintenance Test Pilot etc.)
I flew AH-1 Cobra's and AH-64 Apaches during my time in the Military.

All Army Flight Training (with a few exceptions) is done at Ft. Rucker Alabama (better know as "Mother Rucker"). Back in the Vietnam days Flight Training was also conducted at Ft. Wolters Texas.

Flying has been a Great Career thus far except for Army deployments to places where people don't like us so much.
After the Army I did 15 years as an Civilian "AirMedical" pilot before I arrived at "FlightSafety" as a Flight Instructor.

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch »

AndyC wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm
I betcha that was referencing this:

You Got It Andy!
I was hoping someone would ! :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”