Proper Exersize

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pilgrim
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Proper Exersize

Post by Pilgrim »

longtooth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am I hate the "Proper Exercise." Don't mind walking to the kids house, Neighbors for a visit, (one is just over 1/2 mile) walking anywhere that needs to be.
I hate walking just to walk. Treadmill, track, don't matter.
Don't care for lifting weights.
Don't mind at all hard work. Dragging brush, building something, (son and I had a great time building shed for my tractor last August) road work on the tractor, cutting bushes,
I take it like medicine.
I am a DPT and have treated geriatrics for close to 40 years. In general physical work is healthier than gym workouts. The problem is doing physical work continuously and not skipping days is harder to do than getting into a habit of a routine gym workout.
Diet is so important and cannot be overstated. I think the video "Forks Over Knives" is thought provoking. You can find it on Netflix or YouTube.

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by longtooth »

Thank you. would rather work than exercise.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Medical anomalies and disorders aside, weight loss is simply consuming less calories than you burn. There is no magic number of calories to burn or miles to walk, every person is different. I would suggest having a body analysis done to determine approximately how many calories you burn per day, then subtract a healthy amount (once again everyone is different) to put yourself into caloric deficit. Then you can focus on doing the activities you enjoy. Weight loss is 80% in the kitchen.

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

MadMonkey wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:17 pm
K-Texas wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:08 pm
longtooth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 am
lama wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:55 am Have you tried audiobooks?

I find that getting lost in a story makes workouts (particularly those like walking that are not exceedingly strenuous) go much more quickly/pleasantly. I do not have the time or patients to read good books but I find I really enjoy books while I walk, mow, paint and such.

If you are a member of the library you can likely download an app on your phone and get a decent selection to try out the idea for "free".
Never have liked to do audio anything. I like to visit w/ the wife, kids, and GrandOnes walking but audio and walk, :nono: :nono: not for me.
Bottom line for me is Exercise is my medicine, volume at the table my enemy,
I do OK when I am out working. Never think of it.
Somehow I missed this post. The fat tire biking thing sounds pretty cool. I like they way they look, anyway. Plus it's probably what I'd need. ;-)
All that rolling mass is definitely a workout to get going. I've ridden a couple, I'll stick with my mountain bike thankyouverymuch :shock:
IDK, striker55s bike looks like it as all the options. Maybe even anti-lock brakes! Which I'm just noticing, BTW. Think I could do with a conventional bike, but I know if I could get myself in gear I'd be doing the 3 mile walks I used to do. Then, not more than 10' away sits my Bowflex. I need to be doing both. But riding a bike 5 miles a day sounds like fun that could pay dividends. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

striker55
Posts in topic: 4

Post by striker55 »

Amazon, Walmart, Target and Academy sells that bike. I ordered mine online and put it together myself, it comes with the mountain bike handlebars which gave me a pain in my back hunched over riding. I put the high-rise bars on by watching a video on YouTube. The bikes don't have enough grease on the bearings so that needs to be done before riding. In the end it worked for me, rode today my 5 miles. The bike weighs about 50 lbs so it's a workout.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

striker55 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm Amazon, Walmart, Target and Academy sells that bike. I ordered mine online and put it together myself, it comes with the mountain bike handlebars which gave me a pain in my back hunched over riding. I put the high-rise bars on by watching a video on YouTube. The bikes don't have enough grease on the bearings so that needs to be done before riding. In the end it worked for me, rode today my 5 miles. The bike weighs about 50 lbs so it's a workout.
I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd ride it. Putting it together yourself, I'm sure, adds a nice degree of satisfaction.

I have noticed the fat tire bikes on the few trips I make to Wally-World, but I can't remember even looking at their price. Just standard single-speed bikes, but for a guy my size, I think the big tires would be a bonus. ;-)

striker55

Post by striker55 »

K-Texas wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:18 pm
striker55 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm Amazon, Walmart, Target and Academy sells that bike. I ordered mine online and put it together myself, it comes with the mountain bike handlebars which gave me a pain in my back hunched over riding. I put the high-rise bars on by watching a video on YouTube. The bikes don't have enough grease on the bearings so that needs to be done before riding. In the end it worked for me, rode today my 5 miles. The bike weighs about 50 lbs so it's a workout.
I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd ride it. Putting it together yourself, I'm sure, adds a nice degree of satisfaction.

I have noticed the fat tire bikes on the few trips I make to Wally-World, but I can't remember even looking at their price. Just standard single-speed bikes, but for a guy my size, I think the big tires would be a bonus. ;-)
Walmart has them for $219 free shipping, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Dol ... k/55456516

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

striker55 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:58 pm
K-Texas wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Walmart has them for $219 free shipping, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Dol ... k/55456516
Not bad at all. Thanks! ;-)

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

longtooth, striker55, et al: My hat is off to you guys for losing weight by the calorie-burning efforts you enjoy.

I carry some extra pounds myself, but January 1 is coming, so I will need to knuckle down in time for my 50th high school reunion.
My goal is to lose weight and look good while I show up "Texan" when I meet my Yankee classmates. Showing up trim, weightwise, with a Stetson, bolo tie, and Tony Lamas should be a surefire conversation starter!! That's a 2fer!!

Here's some food for thought that I have picked up while reading/listening to weight-reducing strategies:

"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper." The idea here is to start your day with a big meal, which you will burn during the workday. Lunch should be moderate. Your evening meal (supper = dinner) should be the smallest, since you are near the end of the day when you go to bed, which isn't conducive to burning off a big meal.

Another short philosophy: "Never eat after 700 PM". This kind of goes hand in hand with the theory that if your body has a 12 hour fast, that it has time to properly rest from an otherwise 16-18 hour eating schedule. One doctor's idea was that you try to have your 3 meals a day within a 12 hour window.
So if you eat breakfast at 6 AM, try to eat dinner by 6 PM. This is easier said than done, given work schedules. But do what you can not to snack between supper and bedtime.

Drink plenty of water. It keeps everything moving, since it is Mother Nature's natural solvent.

Good luck everyone on your efforts. When I hear these stories about 1 in 5 Americans are "food insecure", I scoff. There's food everywhere you turn!!
This is America. If you don't have enough to eat, you need to get a job!

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Weight Watchers system works also, by assigning points to foods and finding your point limit you can eat anything you want.

Return to “Off-Topic”