Weird electrical issues at my home!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weird electrical issues at my home!

Post by WildBill »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 pm My understanding as it was explained so a firefighter can understand it is AMP = PSI and VOLTS = GPM
I was told the average Lighting Bolt is a Million VOLTS
Here's my question wouldn't a lighting bolt generate an EMP in it's immediate vicinity?
You have the Amp and Volts reversed.
A typical lightning bolt contains 1 billion volts and contains between 10,000 to 200,000 amperes of current.” from Quora
EMP I would say, Yes.
NRA Endowment Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Lightning does not even have to hit your house to destroy appliances and TV sets. It can hit anywhere close and take out your stuff.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm Ha - you can't fool me!

.....I'd use ELECTRICAL tape
Now that was funny.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 9

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm
NotRPB wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:18 pm
puma guy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am
AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 am Electricity to me is witchcraft :)
It's like plumbing for amps and volts! :lol:
I suspect you have an electrical leak and need to put duct tape over all outlets that are unused so the electricity stops leaking out.
Ha - you can't fool me!

.....I'd use ELECTRICAL tape

:lol: That's a good one, Andy! It's actually called duck tape; developed in WWII and only available in army green it was called duck tape for it's ability to shed water like a duck. Since then the AC/HVAC industry has adopted the tape and now it's commonly called duct tape. Just a little bit of trivia.
Edited to add: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... ot-silver/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Update: Cable guy is here. Found junction on main line fried. Switched our whip to a new port. (luckily the whip wasn't fried) Replacing all three cable boxes and the internet Modem/router. The HDMI connection on the den TV we used for cable was fried, so cable guy disconnected the DVD and use that HDMI port for the cable box. That's not a problem. 50" TV in B/R is fried, but gets a new box that I'll have to set up when I get a new TV. TV in guest B/R OK and gets a new box. Disposal fried, cordless phone base fried, ceiling fan in our B/R only runs on high speed and the remote will not turn it off or alter speed. All other electrical devices working, the fire place damper still functions and all unused outlets will be double sealed with festive colored electrical tape and silver duct/duck tape.

EDITED to add: My deductible is more than the replacement cost of the damaged items.
Last edited by puma guy on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:16 pm Lightning does not even have to hit your house to destroy appliances and TV sets. It can hit anywhere close and take out your stuff.
THIS is what I was suggesting!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:16 pm Lightning does not even have to hit your house to destroy appliances and TV sets. It can hit anywhere close and take out your stuff.
:thumbs2:

03Lightningrocks

puma guy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:10 pm Update: Cable guy is here. Found junction on main line fried. Switched our whip to a new port. (luckily the whip wasn't fried) Replacing all three cable boxes and the internet Modem/router. The HDMI connection on the den TV we used for cable was fried, so cable guy disconnected the DVD and use that HDMI port for the cable box. That's not a problem. 50" TV in B/R is fried, but gets a new box that I'll have to set up when I get a new TV. TV in guest B/R OK and gets a new box. Disposal fried, cordless phone base fried, ceiling fan in our B/R only runs on high speed and the remote will not turn it off or alter speed. All other electrical devices working, the fire place damper still functions and all unused outlets will be double sealed with festive colored electrical tape and silver duct/duck tape.

EDITED to add: My deductible is more than the replacement cost of the damaged items.
I have had the same issue on several claims. The first fifteen years I owned my home the deductible was 1000 dollars. Then it became impossible to find insurance with a deductible like this. Now my deductible is 2% of my home value. I would darn near have to be hit by a tornado to ever use my insurance. That is what happens when the whole neighborhood replaces their shingles every time we have a hail storm. I have neighbors who used insurance to replace shingles that were already damaged before the storm but roofing companies were more than happy to run a scam to get roofing work. In the end we all pay for the folks who "get over" on the insurance companies.

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ed4032 »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 am Electricity to me is witchcraft :)
Or Voodoo
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

When I was a teen, I was in the garage leaning on the garage door metal door track. A big storm was approaching, when lightening hit the house across the street. It shocked me pretty good. I was at least 300 ft from where the lightening hit.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:58 pm When I was a teen, I was in the garage leaning on the garage door metal door track. A big storm was approaching, when lightening hit the house across the street. It shocked me pretty good. I was at least 300 ft from where the lightening hit.
This explains a lot. :biggrinjester:

Return to “Off-Topic”