Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19) from China: Its going to be bad.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/italy-e ... -home.html

Italy extended quarantine to entire country.

PM asks residents to stay at home.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RicoTX »

This is coming to your city. I've been telling others for two months but very few people cared because it was just China. I tried to explain about the rate of Global travel but people thought I was taking it too seriously. I didn't even post on here because of that.

I'm not worried for myself, but for my mother and other people who may be vulnerable. I've tried to explain it as a common cold that can kill older people or immuno deficient people. Now I see people taking it a little more seriously. I'm afraid it's going to cause us to experience things most of us never have, including schools closed for weeks, cities under quarantine, etc.

Many of the people who work with the public have very little to no paid sick leave. Most will have minor symptoms, if any, and they cannot afford to miss work. I think this will accelerate the infection rate in this country.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it will have a major impact on millions of people before it's over and the economic effects will probably take a long while to recover from.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 205

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RicoTX wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:53 pm This is coming to your city. I've been telling others for two months but very few people cared because it was just China. I tried to explain about the rate of Global travel but people thought I was taking it too seriously. I didn't even post on here because of that.

I'm not worried for myself, but for my mother and other people who may be vulnerable. I've tried to explain it as a common cold that can kill older people or immuno deficient people. Now I see people taking it a little more seriously. I'm afraid it's going to cause us to experience things most of us never have, including schools closed for weeks, cities under quarantine, etc.

Many of the people who work with the public have very little to no paid sick leave. Most will have minor symptoms, if any, and they cannot afford to miss work. I think this will accelerate the infection rate in this country.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it will have a major impact on millions of people before it's over and the economic effects will probably take a long while to recover from.
I feel before we all lose our cookies over this we recognize one huge factor. The DemonRats are playing politics with this virus. The reaction is severely overblown. Here are some facts to consider.
Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 113,579 cases worldwide; 607 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 9, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 3,995 deaths reported worldwide; 22 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 9, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... vs-the-flu

Did the flu destroy the economy? No. Why? Because it was not an election season and the DemonRats did not blow it out of proportion. As a side note. New coronavirus cases are dropping dramatically in China and it is reported they expect to hit Zero new cases by the end of March.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RicoTX »

I respect your opinion, and I agree there is some politics as usual going on, but I disagree that this will be no worse than the seasonal flu. I hope I'm wrong and this blows over, but I don't think it will. Just a note: I don't trust the Republicans anymore than I trust the Democrats when it comes to handling this health issue or pretty much anything else for that matter.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 205

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Coronavirus is not even close to seasonal flu. The only thing about it that will far exceed the seasonal flu is the ridiculous hyping of it by the MSM. First we had Russia Russia Russia, next was fake impeachment. Now we have an over hyped virus. It is all part of the efforts of the deep state to remove President Trump. This one will fail like the other two efforts. That is why you must use common sense. The flu kills 291K-646K world wide per year. Coronavirus... 3995. Hardly a threat to humanity. Cancer and heart disease takes out more people.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mrvmax »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 am Coronavirus is not even close to seasonal flu. The only thing about it that will far exceed the seasonal flu is the ridiculous hyping of it by the MSM. First we had Russia Russia Russia, next was fake impeachment. Now we have an over hyped virus. It is all part of the efforts of the deep state to remove President Trump. This one will fail like the other two efforts. That is why you must use common sense. The flu kills 291K-646K world wide per year. Coronavirus... 3995. Hardly a threat to humanity. Cancer and heart disease takes out more people.

I said similar earlier in this thread. The sad part is how the hysteria has affected the stock market. People are listening to the hype and fighting over stupid things like toilet paper. Yes, people will die but it will still be less than will die by other contagious diseases and it’s pretty much the same people who could die from the flu. Even doctors are saying it’s being overblown (including liberal ones). If you are really worried then go talk to your doctor about it, wash your hands, don’t touch your mouth or nose with dirty hands and stay away from places where you are likely to get it.

This is being overblown worldwide and it will effect our economy short term due to that. It’s not the end of the world (that will be much worse),

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Beiruty »

It is overblown reaction. However, 14% of the infected may need hospitalization.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Liberty »

If you call into your doctor and tell them you have mild or moderate flu symptoms, they tell you to stay home get rest maybe offer a Z-PAK and tell you to go to the hospital if it gets real bad. No testing no confirmation no adding you to the statistics. People are going to try to avoid an extended quarantine. We have can't stop the flu or cold spreading each year.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 am Coronavirus is not even close to seasonal flu. The only thing about it that will far exceed the seasonal flu is the ridiculous hyping of it by the MSM. First we had Russia Russia Russia, next was fake impeachment. Now we have an over hyped virus. It is all part of the efforts of the deep state to remove President Trump. This one will fail like the other two efforts. That is why you must use common sense. The flu kills 291K-646K world wide per year. Coronavirus... 3995. Hardly a threat to humanity. Cancer and heart disease takes out more people.

IF the numbers and severity reports we're hearing now were true, I would agree with you.

However, I have serious doubts about both of those. China would not have shut down their industrial production and devastated their economy for somewhere around 3K deaths - that's a number they'd hardly notice.

I also saw videos from Chinese medics and citizens of young people dropping dead in the streets, doctors collapsing in hospitals, and stacks of corpses in a single clocation that far exceeded the daily death count they fed to the public before those citizen communications were stomped on.

I don't think Italy is imposing quarantine on their whole country because a few hundred folks have the sniffles either.

I see a much more significant threat here than the "don't worry" line we're being fed would indicate.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Here is an article about the account of a doctor on the front lines in Italy. It speaks for itself.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

strogg
Posts in topic: 25

Post by strogg »

Rob72 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:38 am
Excaliber wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 am
IF the numbers and severity reports we're hearing now were true, I would agree with you.

However, I have serious doubts about both of those. China would not have shut down their industrial production and devastated their economy for somewhere around 3K deaths - that's a number they'd hardly notice.

I also saw videos from Chinese medics and citizens of young people dropping dead in the streets, doctors collapsing in hospitals, and stacks of corpses in a single clocation that far exceeded the daily death count they fed to the public before those citizen communications were stomped on.

I don't think Italy is imposing quarantine on their whole country because a few hundred folks have the sniffles either.

I see a much more significant threat here than the "don't worry" line we're being fed would indicate.
Bear in mind that China and India have the highest rates of parasitic infections and smokers than other semi-industrialized nations. Poor sanitation, tight living quarters, etc.

Italy is "not that bad", but they have most definitely been staggering along for quite sometime in the wake of the EU debacle.

Yes, China and Italy would. Why? Because the more dense your population, the less available advanced healthcare is, and if you are genuinely trying to slow the spread of a disease, that is what you do. The greatest threat to our overall well-being at the moment is network news and their collective fear-mongering.

I will point out the obvious- if I desired to see that a large cross-section of America was exposed and (ideally) infected, I would encourage people who are already ill with respiratory issues to congregate with other such people, knowing that statistically, sooner or later, there will be a perfect storm of concurrent infections. People watch the news. They have a seasonal cough/cold, so they're afraid and go to the ER for testing. So do 200 of their not-so-closest friends.

Never attribute to cunning that which is more adequately explained by stupidity...but the end result is the same.
We should also consider South Korea's numbers. They have unique properties of being reliable and having one of the only universal healthcare systems that work due to their consolidated population and economic situation. They also test over 10,000 people per day for surprise flu. That's 4x more per day than the US has tested throughout the entire outbreak. The numbers coming out of the country are very promising. As the test gets more sensitive, they capture lighter and lighter infections. So far, they do have a large number of infections. They also report a low mortality rate of about 0.6%. With that in mind, we are seeing a statistical mortality rate of < 0.5%, which focus on the elderly and folks with preexisting chronic health problems. To compare, the common flu has a mortality rate of 0.15 to 0.2%. In other words, the surprise flu has a statistical mortality rate that is only 2-3x more than the flu, not tens or hundreds as people are led to believe. Also, the target for surprise flu is geared more toward the elderly than the regular flu.

That information is what we should react to. For the vast majority of us on the board who are not in the elderly crowd, we may just have to deal with another flu-like illness. Not a big deal. Extra prep around that is either not difficult or nonexistent as we are already prepped for worse things. To put it in perspective, a healthy non-elderly adult will be twice as likely to die in a car crash this year than of the surprise flu. Think about that for a bit. As for the elderly in this group, there is more to worry about. I'm not part of that group, so I can't speak for those of you who are. But for those who are who are also going a little "crazy" over it, I won't judge, and I will pray for your health throughout this and the next winter outbreak. Yes, I'm pretty certain it will break out again around October-November. Things like this always do. It will be worse, but by then we'll know exactly what we're up against.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I'm not buying the "no big deal" propaganda.

This 30 year doctor in CA who is treating COVID19 patients seems to think it's a really big deal. Article here.

North Korea is lying foreign diplomats out of the country and there are reports of hundreds of deaths among soldiers who are not elderly or infirm.

This is clearly a big deal, and in a few weeks that fact won't be able to be denied here in the US either.
Excaliber

strogg
Posts in topic: 25

Post by strogg »

I see it as people are overreacting out of pure emotion. Then the media are taking those people and sticking them in the spotlight to boost revenue. And North Korea is not anything like South Korea. If I were living up there, I'd want to fly out of there in a heartbeat too due to their third-world-like conditions.

As you can tell, I'm not worried at all. But if Excaliber is right (and I sure hope he's not), I am already prepared for it. A responsible person doesn't wait for mass hysteria to start preparing for the inevitable black swan events. I just don't see this as one of them.

Return to “Off-Topic”