Another Walmart Shooting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

KC5AV
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1915
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Marshall

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#16

Post by KC5AV » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 pm

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm
The Hickory Creek (Denton County) WM has just installed some interesting gates inside the store. I guess they don't open OUT, so that shoplifters can't exit with carts full of stolen goods. They DO allow you to enter the store with your cart. Has anyone else seen these in their local WM's?

SIA
Longview and Marshall have both installed those.
NRA lifetime member


longtooth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Angelina County

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#17

Post by longtooth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm

I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

For sure. thus my signature line.
Image
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#18

Post by Flightmare » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm

longtooth wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

For sure. thus my signature line.
If I thought the place was dangerous, I would avoid going there to begin with. I carry because I don't know when an area that may not LOOK dangerous, might have people who wish to do me harm.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3538
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#19

Post by oljames3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 pm

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm
The Hickory Creek (Denton County) WM has just installed some interesting gates inside the store. I guess they don't open OUT, so that shoplifters can't exit with carts full of stolen goods. They DO allow you to enter the store with your cart. Has anyone else seen these in their local WM's?

Not lately, but many times Hickory Creek PD will park a "ghost car" outside WM's front door. It's a HCPD marked unit, but it is empty - just parked there to scare off thieves.

A female friend of mine had her wallet stolen in this store some years ago. Two guys engaged her in conversation. One of them lifted her wallet from out of her purse, which was in the cart, under a lot of shirts. She alerted the WM staff right away, who were dopes and didn't call 911 right away, with some lame excuse for their inaction.

I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.

SIA
Yep, I've seen such gates in Austin.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#20

Post by treadlightly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am

longtooth wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

For sure. thus my signature line.
The standard I settled on is not to go places I think pose predictable risk without compelling reasons.

I carry in all the non-risky places I go because I want them to stay non-risky, at least for peaceful citizens.

Plus, in the friendlier establishments I frequent, the proprietor and half the other customers will be carrying. I like to fit in. :biggrinjester:

User avatar

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 8892
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#21

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 pm

treadlightly wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am
longtooth wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

For sure. thus my signature line.
The standard I settled on is not to go places I think pose predictable risk without compelling reasons.

I carry in all the non-risky places I go because I want them to stay non-risky, at least for peaceful citizens.

Plus, in the friendlier establishments I frequent, the proprietor and half the other customers will be carrying. I like to fit in. :biggrinjester:
Like you I tend to avoid places that are obviously higher risk. But you are right, one never knows where trouble can appear out of nowhere. One can be stopping at that local convenience store they have bought morning coffee at for the last 10 years when some clown decides that this is the day and place they want to do an armed robbery. We just never truly know.

User avatar

Mel
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:47 pm
Location: Farmersville, TX

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#22

Post by Mel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm
The Hickory Creek (Denton County) WM has just installed some interesting gates inside the store. I guess they don't open OUT, so that shoplifters can't exit with carts full of stolen goods. They DO allow you to enter the store with your cart. Has anyone else seen these in their local WM's?
Interesting! If the gates don't open "out" how do people with "paid for" goods get out?
Certainly they don't check your receipt.
There should be some sort of Constitutional Amendment to prevent unreasonable search without probably cause!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

User avatar

GeekwithaGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am
Location: Hickory Creek

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#23

Post by GeekwithaGun » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Mel wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm
surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm
The Hickory Creek (Denton County) WM has just installed some interesting gates inside the store. I guess they don't open OUT, so that shoplifters can't exit with carts full of stolen goods. They DO allow you to enter the store with your cart. Has anyone else seen these in their local WM's?
Interesting! If the gates don't open "out" how do people with "paid for" goods get out?
Certainly they don't check your receipt.
There should be some sort of Constitutional Amendment to prevent unreasonable search without probably cause!
so imagine going in the doors to the store, the end of the check out lanes and aisle to the customer service, bathrooms, etc. are in line with the new gates. the gates open into the rest of the store (check out lines are on either side of them). you would have to leave through the checkout lanes. the exits are not gated.

here is a picture from a news site:

https://www.news-gazette.com/business/r ... 8c87c.html
NRA Life Member


surprise_i'm_armed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4375
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 am
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

#24

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Geekwithagun:

Thank you for clarifying the issue with the photos in the link.

I find it interesting that of the 3 Illinois stores mentioned, WM chose to install the gates at the store with the lowest number of thefts.
That seems counter intuitive.

SIA
America.....just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need
to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us feel uncomfortable.

Hunter S. Thompson, Kentucky Colonel, gonzo journalist. 1937-2005.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”