So...you didn’t get Stimulus check...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So...you didn’t get Stimulus check...

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Mine arrived. I can't decide. I already have a compact Colt Defender, it's VERY good. I also have a SA EMP in .40, it also, is very good. I'd like to get a so-called "budget" 1911, but I've seen online the ATI's are shall we say, inconsistent. Which leaves Rock Island, Citadel, EAA, or maybe a Taurus. Any suggestions?

Let me say one more thing - this virus, which is looking more and more like a lab experiment that got away somehow, is super-duper contagious and is potentially dangerous. Of my circle of friends, half of us and our families have had it and mostly recovered. No hospital trips, and no deaths, but the wallop my friends tell me this thing gives you is something else.

D.C. can't finance a $20T economy out of thin air, that much is obvious. The last worldwide economic upheaval was cured by a world wide war.

For 20 years American Generals haven't figured out how to vanquish an enemy that has no tanks, no air force, and no navy. Let's hope the next economic upheaval doesn't require another world war to cure it. If we're lucky, maybe just a few $1200 checks will.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

To support the economy I went yesterday and bought myself a new (to me :biggrinjester: ) s&w 29-3 with 6” barrel and nickel finish from a dealer on GB. Should be here next Tuesday. :drool:

Oh, I sold one of my Glocks to partly fund it, no stimulus here :smilelol5:

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:58 pm Any suggestions?
Yeah. Avoid Taurus.
NRA lifetime member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:49 pm
The whole thing is messed up.
Those are true words, very true words.

Our daughter (currently out of work) received her direct deposit stimulus payment and had not yet filed her 2019 Federal taxes. I received the ACH notification yesterday and our stimulus payment this morning. The irony of my situation was not lost on me. Earlier this week, I sent the U.S. Treasury a check larger than my stimulus payment because I've chosen to make quarterly estimated payments rather than have IRS deductions made from our sources of income. So I'm still net down for the week with the Federal government. In addition, yesterday's stock market pull back was greater than the stimulus payment in its effect on our net worth. So I'm net down more than double. If they truly aren't going to require RMDs this year (required minimum distributions for those unfamiliar with IRAs and age 70.5), I may be able to rethink my remaining quarterly estimated payments this year.

It fascinates me that I must estimate this year's taxes and pay penalties if I get it wrong when the taxation rules for what I'm estimating will not be final until past my last possible adjustment point. I have filed my 2019 taxes and am expecting a decent refund, the product of my padding my estimated payments over a Teacher Retirement System (TRS) issue. We are waiting for the notice when the Social Security Administration will take away my wife's Social Security payments for at least a period of time over the TRS payment that the IRS forced us to take. I have no idea what our income is going to look like this year as a result. We may not even hear from SSA on the matter this year. If anyone wants to see what "messed up" can really look like regarding the Federal government, stop by with a couple of adult beverages after the social restrictions are lifted and I will make your head spin.

Of course, it isn't just the stimulus payments that are messed up and I'm sure that was your intention, TAM.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flechero

Post by flechero »

Flightmare wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm I have been trying to reach my elected representative to ask how to "decline" the payment to my account. So far, I have not received an answer.
You might just hang on to it, to apply towards next year's probable tax increase to cover these payments. :roll:

ETA: in all seriousness, it's not like they are going to change anything if a few people decline it... I think you would be better off Blessing someone or several someones that really need it, with that money or pay someone's rent or electricity bill or similar.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Flightmare »

flechero wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:04 am
Flightmare wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm I have been trying to reach my elected representative to ask how to "decline" the payment to my account. So far, I have not received an answer.
You might just hang on to it, to apply towards next year's probable tax increase to cover these payments. :roll:

ETA: in all seriousness, it's not like they are going to change anything if a few people decline it... I think you would be better off Blessing someone or several someones that really need it, with that money or pay someone's rent or electricity bill or similar.
I haven't been able to get an answer. The deposit hit my bank account and I forwarded the amount to my church's benevolence fund. There are people who need help more than me.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:58 pm Mine arrived. I can't decide. I already have a compact Colt Defender, it's VERY good. I also have a SA EMP in .40, it also, is very good. I'd like to get a so-called "budget" 1911, but I've seen online the ATI's are shall we say, inconsistent. Which leaves Rock Island, Citadel, EAA, or maybe a Taurus. Any suggestions?

Let me say one more thing - this virus, which is looking more and more like a lab experiment that got away somehow, is super-duper contagious and is potentially dangerous. Of my circle of friends, half of us and our families have had it and mostly recovered. No hospital trips, and no deaths, but the wallop my friends tell me this thing gives you is something else.

D.C. can't finance a $20T economy out of thin air, that much is obvious. The last worldwide economic upheaval was cured by a world wide war.

For 20 years American Generals haven't figured out how to vanquish an enemy that has no tanks, no air force, and no navy. Let's hope the next economic upheaval doesn't require another world war to cure it. If we're lucky, maybe just a few $1200 checks will.
Rock Island.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Wife and I are giving ours to our grandkids' 529 plans.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

For what it's worth, my experience mirrors TAM's almost exactly. Two daughters received theirs, nothing in my account, check IRS.gov and get exactly the same message as TAM. Follow up to "Why am I getting 'Payment Status Not Available'", totally unhelpful. Bank advises that it's finished processing stimulus payments for the week, no need to check back until next week.

I'm fortunate that I don't need the money right now, so I'll just keep checking from time to time, and thinking about how I'm going to spend the money if I get it...

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:49 pm Like most everyone else, I have serious doubts about the constitutionality of all of this. OTH, I’m not gonna lie .... I could really use the money right now.
TAM your post reminded me of a funny meme:
FB_IMG_1586630083852.jpg

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I definitely will not be getting one, nor will my wife - however, if we by some error do get one I'm happy to use it to stimulate the economy by excessively over-tipping our favorite waiters/waitresses. :tiphat:

What I'm curious about - how was that number ($1,200 right?) arrived at? Was that determined to be an average month's rent and groceries for a certain demographic or ?? Just curious. :tiphat:

We are still going in to our small office - each of us have our own office, we are media (no, not main stream - we are "good" media :biggrinjester: manufacturing technology media), our revenue this month is the worst that it's ever been. We have had to make a pay cut across the board, not laying anyone off (7 of us total), applied for the PPP though. Praying that we make it through this financially as a company as our employees need jobs, we support manufacturing and help to spread the news of the latest technology (we have 100k+ monthly national readers that rely on us for the latest mfg tech info) - as well as resources for keeping current on the situation and coordinating with companies looking to shift gears into medical necessity manufacturing, etc. Manufacturing is the back-bone of the US economy - we MUST shift away from globalization and specifically from the great satan that china is!! We are seeing more and more reshoring (manufacturing LEAVING the great satan of china and coming back to the USA!!). :patriot:

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

cmgee67 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 pm I have a legit question, my grandparents only draw social security and have a little bit of rent money from a small property they own. They don’t make very much at all. Will the elderly who don’t / can’t work get one of these checks? I wasn’t sure since they already get money every month from social security. I asked my grandfather today if he was going to receive it and he didn’t know.
Cmgee67,

Yes they should be getting the 1200 per person for adults. My mom is in the same situation. She lives on SS. At first they were not going to send checks to those who have not filed any tax return. A bunch of people pitched a fit and now the IRS says that if you are on SS or Disability the "check" will come with your SS or disability payments. However, you can NOT go to the website IRS.GOV and click on the where's my payment button. It will come back with the status Not Available. The Where's my payment website is apparently only for those who have filed a 2018/2019 return. So like my mom your grandparents will just have to "wait" for their stimulus. I know not very "stimulating" but hey...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

KC5AV wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:48 am
Yeah. Avoid Taurus.
Yeppers. Of the choices shown, (Rock Island, Citadel, EAA, or maybe a Taurus) I think I'd lean toward Rock Island and avoid Taurus. But a question. Wouldn't a Springfield "Legacy Series" mil-spec also be in and around the same price range? If so, I've never been disappointed by Springfield and I think I'd add that to the consideration list.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Rafe wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:06 pm
KC5AV wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:48 am
Yeah. Avoid Taurus.
Yeppers. Of the choices shown, (Rock Island, Citadel, EAA, or maybe a Taurus) I think I'd lean toward Rock Island and avoid Taurus. But a question. Wouldn't a Springfield "Legacy Series" mil-spec also be in and around the same price range? If so, I've never been disappointed by Springfield and I think I'd add that to the consideration list.
:iagree:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:49 pm Like most everyone else, I have serious doubts about the constitutionality of all of this. OTH, I’m not gonna lie .... I could really use the money right now.
TAM your post reminded me of a funny meme:

FB_IMG_1586630083852.jpg
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”