Texas Government Code 418-173

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Texas Government Code 418-173

Post by philip964 »

OK - legal eagles here is your chance.

Two police officers were sitting eating lunch at an out door patio of Buffalo Grill Restaurant where the owner provides free meals to first responders. A fire person came by for a free meal. She noticed the two police eating on the patio and notified the Fire Marshall who visited and wrote up the Restaurant.

The form had the following printed notice:

Failure to comply with lawful orders issued by a County Judge during a declared state of disaster (Texas Government Code 418-173)

So is there a real Texas law that suspends the constitution during a disaster?

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Government Code 418-173

Post by jason812 »

I'm curious about this as well. Our little tyrant (Judge Miller Coryell County) has said we can't leave the county, non residents cannot enter the county, plus funerals and weddings are not religious events. Forum rules don't allow me to fully state what I want about him or all the other little dictators.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

sounds like a fire person has a real beef with police. interesting to say the least
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 pm sounds like a fire person has a real beef with police. interesting to say the least
So, why punish the restaurant??
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

So, reading chapter 418 can be very interesting. The specific subsection mentioned says that an emergency management plan may make it a class B misdemeanor (fine of $1,000 and/or 180 days in jail) to violate the plan or an order adopted under the plan. This implies (but I cannot find explicitly stated) that the plan should be a pre-written plan so that when the order announcing it is made, the clause takes effect. That is just my interpretation though, so don't rely on it. But it never does say what the plan has to have or be.

What I found more interesting is a limitation in the law that might affect all shelter-in-place orders. There is a section that says:
Sec. 418.018. MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE. (a) The governor may recommend the evacuation of all or part of the population from a stricken or threatened area in the state if the governor considers the action necessary for the preservation of life or other disaster mitigation, response, or recovery.
(b) The governor may prescribe routes, modes of transportation, and destinations in connection with an evacuation.
(c) The governor may control ingress and egress to and from a disaster area and the movement of persons and the occupancy of premises in the area.
So they can order you to leave an area, or to stay in a disaster area (ingress and egress). If the state is the disaster area, can they keep you in your house? If it is a municipal plan, they can keep you in the city but I don't see an authority to keep you in your house. Again, just my opinion and I am not a lawyer, so don't rely on this interpretation.

I find two suspensions of your rights mentioned. Section 418.017 allows for them to commandeer personal property but they do have to pay for it. And 418.019 says the governor my limit the sale and transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles. I find no other mention of ny suspensions of any rights, such as to peaceably assemble anywhere.
Steve Rothstein

iratollah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by iratollah »

srothstein wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:13 pmI find two suspensions of your rights mentioned. Section 418.017 allows for them to commandeer personal property but they do have to pay for it. And 418.019 says the governor my limit the sale and transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles. I find no other mention of ny suspensions of any rights, such as to peaceably assemble anywhere.
Wondering how challenges have fared, especially with regard to 2A. Can the above state laws supercede constitutional rights granted under Article Six?
Article Six of the US Constitution, which contains the Supremacy Clause*, states:
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

*Supremacy Clause:
https://constitutioncenter.org/interact ... clauses/31
https://www.heritage.org/constitution/# ... acy-clause
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

srothstein wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:13 pm So, reading chapter 418 can be very interesting. The specific subsection mentioned says that an emergency management plan may make it a class B misdemeanor (fine of $1,000 and/or 180 days in jail) to violate the plan or an order adopted under the plan. This implies (but I cannot find explicitly stated) that the plan should be a pre-written plan so that when the order announcing it is made, the clause takes effect. That is just my interpretation though, so don't rely on it. But it never does say what the plan has to have or be.

What I found more interesting is a limitation in the law that might affect all shelter-in-place orders. There is a section that says:
Sec. 418.018. MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE. (a) The governor may recommend the evacuation of all or part of the population from a stricken or threatened area in the state if the governor considers the action necessary for the preservation of life or other disaster mitigation, response, or recovery.
(b) The governor may prescribe routes, modes of transportation, and destinations in connection with an evacuation.
(c) The governor may control ingress and egress to and from a disaster area and the movement of persons and the occupancy of premises in the area.
So they can order you to leave an area, or to stay in a disaster area (ingress and egress). If the state is the disaster area, can they keep you in your house? If it is a municipal plan, they can keep you in the city but I don't see an authority to keep you in your house. Again, just my opinion and I am not a lawyer, so don't rely on this interpretation.

I find two suspensions of your rights mentioned. Section 418.017 allows for them to commandeer personal property but they do have to pay for it. And 418.019 says the governor my limit the sale and transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles. I find no other mention of ny suspensions of any rights, such as to peaceably assemble anywhere.
Thank you, I knew I could count on this forum.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

philip964 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 am
srothstein wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:13 pm So, reading chapter 418 can be very interesting. The specific subsection mentioned says that an emergency management plan may make it a class B misdemeanor (fine of $1,000 and/or 180 days in jail) to violate the plan or an order adopted under the plan. This implies (but I cannot find explicitly stated) that the plan should be a pre-written plan so that when the order announcing it is made, the clause takes effect. That is just my interpretation though, so don't rely on it. But it never does say what the plan has to have or be.

Thank you, I knew I could count on this forum.
But what about a duly elected 28 year old judge, what authority does she have?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It’s seems that part of the fallout in the wake of COVID-19 will be that the civil liberties legal sector will be busy for at least a decade sorting through all of the actions taken federally and by state and loca gov’ts and litigating against them. Various legislative bodies are going to have to examine and revise their disaster management laws with an eye toward their effect on civil liberties; and SCOTUS will have some of the consequent cases on their docket. On the voter side, a very large segment of The People seem to have grown extremely mistrustful of and impatient with the arrogance of officialdom. This last one is a good thing, that hopefully will end with greater accountability from elected executives.

The Boog is that much closer.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 pm sounds like a fire person has a real beef with police. interesting to say the least
There has been a little bit of friction between the police and fire regarding pay parity.

The Fire won the first round.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

I dunno about the legality of all this - but I do know that if I owned that restaurant, I would now be offering free meals to all first responders - except firefighters. Ratting out the restaurant was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

RSX11 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am I dunno about the legality of all this - but I do know that if I owned that restaurant, I would now be offering free meals to all first responders - except firefighters. Ratting out the restaurant was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
I might go one step further and argue that the Officers were the ones disregarding the declared emergency. They were the ones seated outside, and not following proper distancing guidelines.
NRA lifetime member

howdy

Post by howdy »

It does not say order, just recommend
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Howdy, I also noticed the "recommend" thing.

For the rest, it stinks, but if we the people weren't allowed to be sitting there eating then neither should the police or firefighters. Maybe the stool pigeon was only going by to pick up a meal and not sit there and eat. The officers are just as guilty as the restaurant and maybe more so for thinking they were exceptions.

Just my 2 cents. Well, maybe 1.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

The case in question is the subject of stupid thinking. Its not the letter of the law but the spirit of the law which is important.
I grew up in Dallas in times when no one really wanted the letter of the law to apply to them. But hatefully applied to some one else.
Police and fire have jobs that require the distance thing to be absurd. I won't help that car wreck victim cause he or she may give me a bug. and other such times. that hate may come back to be on the other shoe. First responders should have free reign to distancing.
Karma can be a Bitch.

Return to “Off-Topic”