AC repair shock! There goes any stimulus check I may get.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 16

Re: AC repair shock! There goes any stimulus check I may get.

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

puma guy, I was just looking through some older posts and realized you had previously made a post concerning an electrical issue created by a lightning strike. Later on you made a post concerning a compressor failure that was eating up your stimulus money. It hit me that the lighting strike probably caused the compressor failure. I don't know if you ever filed a claim for all your damages but if so you can add that compressor to the claim. It is not just possible but probable if they told you it had "burned/grounded" out.

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 11

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 pm puma guy, I was just looking through some older posts and realized you had previously made a post concerning an electrical issue created by a lightning strike. Later on you made a post concerning a compressor failure that was eating up your stimulus money. It hit me that the lighting strike probably caused the compressor failure. I don't know if you ever filed a claim for all your damages but if so you can add that compressor to the claim. It is not just possible but probable if they told you it had "burned/grounded" out.
I wondered if that strike back in February as I recall contributed. The AC guy said it was probably did. The problem is my deductible is more than the combined cost of replacing the TV's, appliances and phones, even with the compressor replacement costs. I just got my homeowner's renewal; my coverage was increased, but my deductible went up another $1000.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

03Lightningrocks

I have the same problem. Deductible so high it would take a whole lot of damage to even cover that.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

how does one BURN freon? did the compressor go into fry mode or just quit form loss of ground? thanks in advance
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPBrown »

powerboatr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm how does one BURN freon? did the compressor go into fry mode or just quit form loss of ground? thanks in advance
Burnt refrigerant generally comes from an internal short in the motor of the compressor. If you were ever to get a slight smell of burnt refrigerant you would never forget it, I promise.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

03Lightningrocks

RPBrown wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 am
powerboatr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm how does one BURN freon? did the compressor go into fry mode or just quit form loss of ground? thanks in advance
Burnt refrigerant generally comes from an internal short in the motor of the compressor. If you were ever to get a slight smell of burnt refrigerant you would never forget it, I promise.
I think it is the oil that travels through the system with the refrigerant that burns and becomes acidic as well. It is funny that you mentioned the smell of it. It is so true. I have had that stench linger in my nose for as much as two days after cleaning up a burnt system. I can almost detect the odor now without hooking up my gauges. It is awful. We use to talk about the smell of burning refrigerant as being comparable to mustard gas. LOL Burning refrigerant also creates phosgene gas, which could kill a person in high doses.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Doesn't freon create phosgene gas when burned?
Last edited by puma guy on Fri May 29, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks

puma guy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am
Doesn't freon create phosgene has when burned?
Yes

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 am
I think it is the oil that travels through the system with the refrigerant that burns and becomes acidic as well. It is funny that you mentioned the smell of it. It is so true. I have had that stench linger in my nose for as much as two days after cleaning up a burnt system. I can almost detect the odor now without hooking up my gauges. It is awful. We use to talk about the smell of burning refrigerant as being comparable to mustard gas. LOL Burning refrigerant also creates phosgene gas, which could kill a person in high doses.
thanks,
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Phosgene, which smells like moldy hay, is also an irritant but six times more deadly than chlorine gas. ... Phosgene was responsible for 85% of chemical-weapons fatalities during World War I. Mustard gas, a potent blistering agent, was dubbed King of the Battle Gases. Like phosgene, its effects are not immediate.

03Lightningrocks

puma guy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am
Phosgene, which smells like moldy hay, is also an irritant but six times more deadly than chlorine gas. ... Phosgene was responsible for 85% of chemical-weapons fatalities during World War I. Mustard gas, a potent blistering agent, was dubbed King of the Battle Gases. Like phosgene, its effects are not immediate.
I can tell you it does not take much of it to send you gasping and choking. One experience of inhaling that stuff while brazing copper lines together is usually enough to teach one to never again place their face to close while brazing. It typically occurs during ones first summer working in the field. :biggrinjester:

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPBrown »

:iagree:
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 am
puma guy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am
I can tell you it does not take much of it to send you gasping and choking. One experience of inhaling that stuff while brazing copper lines together is usually enough to teach one to never again place their face to close while brazing. It typically occurs during ones first summer working in the field. :biggrinjester:
:iagree: :iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Off-Topic”