Active shooter reported near Naval Air Station, Texas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Active shooter reported near Naval Air Station, Texas

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Re: Active shooter reported near Naval Air Station, Texas

Shooter has been “neutralized”. I assume that means shot?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I'm very thankful the victim is going to be okay.
The Navy Times reported that the sailor was shot at by an active shooter, but the sailor’s protective vest stopped the bullet, according to a Navy official. The sailor was hospitalized but is expected to be released within the day.
It does make me wonder why this sailor was wearing a protective vest and if they really mean a bullet resistant vest or he just go lucky that something in a regular vest managed to stop the bullet.

It's been a busy morning around the country for shootings. 2 in Texas and 1 in Arizona that we know of so far.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

What’s up at NAS CC? I lived in corpus for several years and don’t ever recall that happening. There used to be motorcycle races on Friday night on that northwest entrance to the base and I don’t recall anything violent happening around the base. There have been two of these fairly recently.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Terrorism believed to be motive. 2nd person of interest may be at large:

https://news.usni.org/2020/05/21/shooti ... eutralized
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

rtschl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:27 pm Terrorism believed to be motive. 2nd person of interest may be at large:

https://news.usni.org/2020/05/21/shooti ... eutralized
Wow! Hopefully they catch this guys accomplice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm I'm very thankful the victim is going to be okay.
The Navy Times reported that the sailor was shot at by an active shooter, but the sailor’s protective vest stopped the bullet, according to a Navy official. The sailor was hospitalized but is expected to be released within the day.
It does make me wonder why this sailor was wearing a protective vest and if they really mean a bullet resistant vest or he just go lucky that something in a regular vest managed to stop the bullet.

It's been a busy morning around the country for shootings. 2 in Texas and 1 in Arizona that we know of so far.
The AP story I read said that she was wearing armor because she is a member of the base security personnel, and she was shot as the BG tried to ram the gate. She was able to get the barrier set before the shooter could get through. Other security personnel returned fire, killing him.

https://apnews.com/938e786d6e2f5a27d8c63370c0fa3e2c
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm I'm very thankful the victim is going to be okay.

The AP story I read said that she was wearing armor because she is a member of the base security personnel, and she was shot as the BG tried to ram the gate. She was able to get the barrier set before the shooter could get through. Other security personnel returned fire, killing him.

https://apnews.com/938e786d6e2f5a27d8c63370c0fa3e2c
For some reason I thought base security, especially entrances, had been contracted to civilian LE. It made me wonder because all articles have indicated a “sailor” was shot in her vest.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

A lot of bases and posts have mixed military and contract security.

When the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were at high tempos military police and security forces were needed overseas so a lot of installations went to contract guards to backfill the deployed troops. Now that things haVe wound down there are more military police and security forces available in conus.
USAF 1982-2005

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

The last several times I visited an Army post to go to the hospital, it was soldiers at the gate.

Congrats to the sailor who kept the presence of mind to raise the barricade after being run down. I thought someone once said "women can't fight".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

oohrah wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am The last several times I visited an Army post to go to the hospital, it was soldiers at the gate.

Congrats to the sailor who kept the presence of mind to raise the barricade after being run down. I thought someone once said "women can't fight".
Women can fight. The US Field Artillery has had women fighting since the beginning. 1776, British assault on Fort Washington, Margaret Corbin was wounded and left for dead alongside her artilleryman husband. 1778, the Battle of Monmouth, Mary Ludwig Hays (Molly Pitcher) replaced her wounded husband at his gun. During the Cold War, in Germany, I had several female soldiers in my Pershing Missile platoon. Today, we have women crewing howitzers. American women can and will fight. This Monday, May 26, 2020, is the day we have set aside to remember the sacrifices of Americans, both men and women, who gave the last full measure of devotion. And to celebrate that their sacrifice was not in vain.
:patriot: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Attached a pix of the cute lady sailor and her dog who took out the scum jahadi in Corpus Christi.
Attachments
C5557413-17A2-4F50-AC37-D163FA81C063.jpeg

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

oljames3 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:42 am
oohrah wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am The last several times I visited an Army post to go to the hospital, it was soldiers at the gate.

Women can fight. The US Field Artillery has had women fighting since the beginning. 1776, British assault on Fort Washington, Margaret Corbin was wounded and left for dead alongside her artilleryman husband. 1778, the Battle of Monmouth, Mary Ludwig Hays (Molly Pitcher) replaced her wounded husband at his gun. During the Cold War, in Germany, I had several female soldiers in my Pershing Missile platoon. Today, we have women crewing howitzers. American women can and will fight. This Monday, May 26, 2020, is the day we have set aside to remember the sacrifices of Americans, both men and women, who gave the last full measure of devotion. And to celebrate that their sacrifice was not in vain.
I was being sardonic.

On this day, I salute those who have gone before us.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

oohrah wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:37 am
oljames3 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:42 am

I was being sardonic.

On this day, I salute those who have gone before us.
Yep. I was agreeing with, and appreciating, your sardonic turn of phrase. That is I was, as were you, expressing my opinion and experience that American women can fight. One of my daughters served in the Army.

I join you in saluting those who did not come home. :patriot: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “Off-Topic”