New knife

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Re: New knife

Post by ELB »

AndyC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:29 pm ....There's a kukhiri book available...
I see what you did there. :nono:
USAF 1982-2005

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ammoboy2 »

I read somewhere the notches in the blade are designed to catch opposing blades to prevent sliding down into the users hand and/or break an opposing blade. Obviously not likely to break one of these given their heavy construction but would be effective against a lighter blade.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:03 pm Got a parcel from Katmandhu this evening.

I ordered this a few months ago to support the families of Gurkha soldiers as I'd worked with some of them overseas - and besides which, I'd always wanted one of these brutal knives for myself.
:thumbs2: Very cool!
What is the length of the blade? My dad brought one home from the war. He was in the CBI theater. The two small blades were not similar. One had an edge and the other was full thickness and was used as a sharpening steel according to what he told my twin brother and me. When we were 6 we got it out along with a Sikh sword and a head hunters sword, spear and bow and arrow. The head hunter sword and sheath and spear were adorned with according to him human hair. My brother and I had sword fights which left big dings in all the blades. Understand that twins are like two people with half a brain between them, but the wheels are ever turning! My dad told me that the Gurkha hold an ceremony where a water buffalo is slaughtered. To assure a good year the animal has to be killed with a single swing of the knife.

I'm sure you are aware of the fierce fighting ability of the short, stout Gurkha. My dad said the were feared by all their enemies. I may have to look into ordering one of these.
Last edited by puma guy on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:01 pm
ELB wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:57 pm
AndyC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:29 pm ....There's a kukhiri book available...
I see what you did there. :nono:
:mrgreen: ;-)
"rlol"

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 pm
puma guy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pm What is the length of the blade?

9.5" - this one is the Nepal Army version. I intend to get the British Army version another time which is around an inch or so longer.
puma guy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pmMy dad brought one home from the war. He was in the CBI theater. The two small blades were not similar. One had an edge and the other was full thickness and was used as a sharpening steel according to what he told my twin brother and me.
He's right. The karda is a small utility knife, and the chakmak is a sharpening steel (also used to strike sparks from flint).
puma guy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pmI'm sure you are aware of the fierce fighting ability of the short, stout Gurkha. My dad said the were feared by all their enemies.
Yeah, I wouldn't want them mad at me. I once went to go find a new guy lost in a sandstorm outside one of our bases and my usual Gurkha partner wouldn't accept being told to stay behind. Later I found out that, while he did want to protect me and help in the search, he really was hoping to get the chance to chop up anyone who tried to attack us under the storm's cover.

puma guy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pmI may have to look into ordering one of these.
You should. They're not expensive and they're multi-purpose; hatchet and knife combined makes them useful for ranch/survival/prepper use, and the money goes to desperately poor people who support our side.
Well it might have to wait a bit. I was going to ask my wife to let me gift myself one of these for Father's Day, but she and my daughters handed me a Father's Day card with this in it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I saw Andy's knife in person today, and it’s a beauty. Ima hafta get me one. I didn’t even know that it comes with the two small blades until he showed them to me, but that is very cool.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 pm I saw Andy's knife in person today, and it’s a beauty. Ima hafta get me one. I didn’t even know that it comes with the two small blades until he showed them to me, but that is very cool.
They are!

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PUCKER »

This is a VERY cool thread - thank you for sharing, Andy! I love the pic of you and your Ghurka friend - that is too cool!

seph
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seph »

Thanks for posting this, Andy!
It was perfect timing since we were looking for a place to order from. Ordering two today.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

This was one of the best post I’ve read in a while. Really neat and interesting history.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Off-Topic”