Alyssa Milano

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alyssa Milano

Post by Chemist45 »

Oh, c'mon philip964, we can't list all of Alyssa's accomplishments without recalling her grandiose protest of the 2018 NRA annual meeting in Dallas!
Remember, she showed up with her armed security to protest people exercising their right to keep and bear arms?
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/alys ... nra-rally/
Good times!

The hypocrisy runs strong with this one.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2022 ... orsements/

This is about celebrity endorsements.

Alyssa is not mentioned but a lot of other celebrity endorsements of crypto are.

Besides crypto thread was locked and who better to razz.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:40 am https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2022 ... orsements/

This is about celebrity endorsements.

Alyssa is not mentioned but a lot of other celebrity endorsements of crypto are.

Besides crypto thread was locked and who better to razz.
I was buying Bitcoin when it was under 200 dollars per coin. At one point I had day traded them into over a 100 BTC. The whole time I was thinking to myself, this is a scam. I was afraid of being the last guy holding the bag so I slowly sold them all between 1100 and 3500 dollars. Then I get an email from Coin Base about an account I had opened that I had not accessed for three years. I went through the process to recover my PW and had two BTC sitting in that account. Meanwhile, BTC had gone as high as 30K and had dropped back to 15K. I was still afraid it was a scam so I dumped them both at 15K. I do wish I had just held them all. I never really "needed" the funds. I was just afraid of being the last sucker out. I can't tell you how many times I did the math when it hit 60K not long ago. 100 x 60K... I would have been rich. But then i remember that I never would have held so long because I thought it was a scam. UGH!!!!!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:39 amI was buying Bitcoin when it was under 200 dollars per coin. At one point I had day traded them into over a 100 BTC. The whole time I was thinking to myself, this is a scam. I was afraid of being the last guy holding the bag so I slowly sold them all between 1100 and 3500 dollars. Then I get an email from Coin Base about an account I had opened that I had not accessed for three years. I went through the process to recover my PW and had two BTC sitting in that account. Meanwhile, BTC had gone as high as 30K and had dropped back to 15K. I was still afraid it was a scam so I dumped them both at 15K. I do wish I had just held them all. I never really "needed" the funds. I was just afraid of being the last sucker out. I can't tell you how many times I did the math when it hit 60K not long ago. 100 x 60K... I would have been rich. But then i remember that I never would have held so long because I thought it was a scam. UGH!!!!!
I still think it is a scam and you were right to sell and avoid being the one holding the empty bag. Bitcoin MAY survive the coming crash, but most of the other crypto-currencies will disappear.

There are two ways to define money/currency. The first is the oldest: that money is an object with an inherent value that can be traded for other things of value. Salt was one of the first currencies based on this. Gold is still used in this manner. The second is that money is a symbol with no inherent value that can be traded for something of value based on what the symbol is good for. Most generally, money can be thought of as a symbol for how much labor you are willing to do for a product you want. Bitcoin and the US dollar fall into the second definition. This makes Bitcoin a viable currency as people start to accept it as a symbol of the value you want it to have. The problem with Bitcoin is that it is not accepted as the general symbol because the dollar is firmly established in that position in our society.

This makes all crypto a scam based on selling the dream of having an alternative currency. Bitcoin may survive as the semi-accepted version of the dream, but other cryptos will fade away. Just my opinion of course.
Steve Rothstein

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Excuse me for stepping into this conversation, but I've been intrigued the the Bitcoin concept for awhile, and it seems like there are a couple folks here who know a lot more about it than I do, so I thought I'd test my understanding. My points have nothing to do with Alyssa Milano, so apologies if I'm going too far off topic.

Everything I've read about Bitcoin in the popular press focuses on it's value relative to some other currency, usually the dollar. People buy Bitcoins for dollars and sell them for dollars, like any other commodity. There are miners who create more bitcoins by spending a lot of time and energy running complex computer algorithms (which I don't understand), but beyond that, the supply of bitcoins is pretty much fixed. I'm not sure why people want to own Bitcoins because they don't seem to have any intrinsic value. The only reason I can come up with is that their value fluctuates relative to other currencies and hence buying and selling them creates opportunities to make (or lose) money.

From what I understand, the above trading activity misses the point of Bitcoin completely. If Bitcoin catches on as a currency and, for example, people can buy anything they want by using Bitcoin, and get paid in Bitcoins, then governments might eventually be completely out of the currency loop, have no control over the supply of money, and can't spend more money than they have. Inflation would end forever. I'm sure that's why nobody in government wants Bitcoin to catch on, but from my perspective, it sounds like a very good idea!

I understand there are lots of roadblocks to Bitcoin ever being accepted as a currency; it won't happen anytime soon, but it would seem to be a really good thing if it catches on. Meanwhile, to me, buying and selling Bitcoins for dollars seems pretty risky.

Return to “Off-Topic”