PAR (Private Pilot Written) Exam Scheduled

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: PAR (Private Pilot Written) Exam Scheduled

Post by AF-Odin »

CONGRATS Clarionite!!!!!! Now get to work and practice your maneuvers trying to make them as precise as possible,
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 12

Post by clarionite »

Keith B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 pm
clarionite wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm I passed the written yesterday. Now on to lots more flying.
Congrats! Now on to getting your hours and prepping for your check ride!
I have registered for an accelerated two weeks in NC in March. I've prepaid for 42 hours of flight and one on one work with the instructor. Another guy on a student pilot group I'm in on facebook went through it recently and couldn't speak highly enough about the equipment and the instructor. He'll schedule the check ride for the end of the second week. Between now and then, I'll take 2-3 flights a month. I don't care for the equipment here, and the CFI, he's a great guy and flys well. But he's not a good instructor. I'm worried about picking up bad habits, and wasting money not progressing. I'm more worried though about not retaining my familiarity with the plane and effectively starting from scratch. I hate wasting money, especially when it's 200 an hour.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:42 am CONGRATS Clarionite!!!!!! Now get to work and practice your maneuvers trying to make them as precise as possible,
I have the ACS, and am going through it. My instructor really hasn't followed it, and makes it hard for me to figure out where we are and what's next. I'm going to have to start bringing it, and making him follow it as a syllabus from now on. As an instructor in other fields, I hate that I have to take that roll. But March will get here and I'll get some quality instruction. I should have my certification by April 2. Sooner if I can gain and retain some stuff here before heading out to that training. The guy who recommended it to me had 0 hours when he started, and 42 hours later (including his check ride) he had his PPL. I hope to have 15-20 hours heading into it. At this point, I'm not worried about the hour count, but about being competent. Being the competitive person I am, and being relatively intelligent I figured I could do it in 45-50 hours. Once I did my first slow flight, I decided I didn't care about hours.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Unrelated, Has anyone seen Sawdust lately? He hasn't logged on in here in about 7 months. Just checking to make sure he's ok.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

clarionite wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:51 pm
MadMonkey wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 pm Good luck! After years of regretting that I haven't gotten my PPL when I was in a position to, I've finally decided to start working on it. Studying hard, then when I'm back in the USA work on medical then written then probably an accelerated flight training regimen.
Let me know when you're ready, I have a couple of resources for both, your written and the accelerated training.
Sweet, thanks!
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

clarionite wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm I passed the written yesterday. Now on to lots more flying.
:cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

Congrats. But I have to tell you, 2-3 hours a month is not enough to retain training from lesson to lesson. You will spend time relearning doing that. I understand your, but also temper your expectations.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Mel

Post by Mel »

oohrah wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm Congrats. But I have to tell you, 2-3 hours a month is not enough to retain training from lesson to lesson. You will spend time relearning doing that. I understand your, but also temper your expectations.
i completely agree. You need to fly at least 2-3 times a week.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Mel wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm
oohrah wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm Congrats. But I have to tell you, 2-3 hours a month is not enough to retain training from lesson to lesson. You will spend time relearning doing that. I understand your, but also temper your expectations.
i completely agree. You need to fly at least 2-3 times a week.
I'm going to be flying 7 hours a day or more in March. I have 42 hours booked over two weeks. That's when I'll be expecting to move forward. But until I can get there, I want to keep familiarity with the basics. And I miss flying.

I'm afraid of picking up bad habits. My CFI here is a nice guy. He flies well, but he's not the best at instructing. He doesn't even follow the syllabus. So I'm going to start following the syllabus on my own, asking for specific things when I go in. If I don't progress, that's fine. but I don't want to regress too far.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I booked 3 sessions next month, 3 hours each. Which will equate to about 6-7 hours in the air next month.

Mel

Post by Mel »

clarionite wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am I booked 3 sessions next month, 3 hours each. Which will equate to about 6-7 hours in the air next month.
I do not recommend 3 hour sessions. At this point of your training, 1.5 hrs. is about the most average people can retain.

6 1.5 hr. sessions would be much better.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I'll start cutting the reservations down to 2 hours. If I book the reservation for 1.5 hours, I'll end up in the air for a half hour to 45 minutes.
Not really enough time to work much on slow flight and ground tracking maneuvers.

I've printed off the King school's syllabus, and will start taking the appropriate form with me and filling it out. It had the best format that I found so far online.

Return to “Off-Topic”