Texas is now a...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Texas is now a...

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 am I go into around 4-5 homes a day doing heat checks. I avoid politics like the plague with customers. Many of our customers are older folks(over 60). I can tell who is voting Biden by the news channel they each have playing. FOX=Trump, CNN/MSNBC=Biden. I hate to say it but it surprises me how many of the older women have Biden network and almost all the older men have Trump network playing. Several have had Biden signs in front yard. My take so far is that more of these older voters are leaning Biden. It just amazes me that older people trust that liar. I believe whole heartedly it is more of a "hate Trump" vote than a "love Biden" vote.
I have another challenge for you. I've been driving/cycling around my limited area of Collin county and have noticed a pattern. I would like to see if you notice it as well. In my neighborhood at least, there are many houses with US flags posted. Some are affixed to the house, some standing on their own flagpole in the yard. I have yet to see a Biden/Harris sign in a yard with a US flag out front. Have you?
Nope. Not yet.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

If you apply for an absentee or mail-in ballot, you are optionally able to select one of the primary elections as well as the general election. That may be be where they get some party affiliation information.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

03Lightningrocks

oohrah wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 pm If you apply for an absentee or mail-in ballot, you are optionally able to select one of the primary elections as well as the general election. That may be be where they get some party affiliation information.
That very well may be where it is coming from.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

Sort of takes your breath away, how Texas elections are affected by the liberal turnout in the bigger cities. Texas was saved in the 2016 elections by the rural voters.
-Ruark

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Ruark wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:16 pm Sort of takes your breath away, how Texas elections are affected by the liberal turnout in the bigger cities. Texas was saved in the 2016 elections by the rural voters.
I've been telling people the same thing about the senate election when the rural counties saved the state from Beto. I predict it will happen again next week.
Charlie

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I thought we had to register as something here in Texas to vote in primaries. I thought I was registered as a republican and unable to vote in democrat primaries.

Am I confused about all that?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks

C-dub wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:58 pm I thought we had to register as something here in Texas to vote in primaries. I thought I was registered as a republican and unable to vote in democrat primaries.

Am I confused about all that?
Once registered, you can vote in either primary but not both. Registration does not ask which party you prefer. When Obama first ran, I voted Democrat primary for Hillary so Obama would not get to run. I was afraid he would win because he is black. I was right but my efforts were not helpful.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You can choose to vote in any primary without being a registered party member. However, once you vote in a primary, you cannot vote in any other party primary, nor vote in any run-off of any party, except the original primary you voted in. And none of this restricts who you may vote for in the general election.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I should point out that to people not familiar with Texas election law and Texas politics, our system is officially not registered by party but voting in the primary could be interpreted as which party you affiliate with. This is especially true if they come from a state that does register by party.

Of course, anyone familiar with Texas would know that we have a long history of people crossing party lines to vote in a primary. For example, if there is a single Republican candidate in an important race, many Republicans will vote for the worst possible candidate in the Democratic primary. This helps the Republican win. And, of course, this happens in reverse with Democrats voting in Republican primaries.

And there is no excuse for any college professor in Texas who teaches government to not know this. It should have been pointed out BY the professor that this is one reason no one knows the true number of Republicans or Democrats in Texas.
Steve Rothstein

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Anyone see a trend? We sure don’t need Texas turning even purple.

16BBF756-861F-4082-9ACC-3CFECE390263.jpeg

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:58 am
TxRVer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am
bfm1851 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:27 am My wife is taking a few college course to finish up her degree. What was said in on class, Government, was that there are more registered democrats in Texas then republicans. Houston, DFW and Austin account for the majority. What we have to count on is the large amount of people registered as independents.
I agree with C-dub, I moved here some 20 something years ago. I have retired here and planned to stay here. But if Texas goes blue I am not sure what I'll do.
Get those independents out to vote (and make sure they vote Republican)
A teacher in a Government class said people are registered as democrats, Republicans, and Independents in Texas? I've never seen any of those designations on my voter registration card.
Same here. I was not aware one registered as dem or repub. There is a line on my card where it says which primary I voted in but it is blank with a line to put something in there. I leave mine blank.
I do know that if you vote in a primary, you cannot then vote in a runoff for the other party, so they do at least track which primary someone voted in. This happened to me this year. I voted in the Democratic primary because I felt that Trump would easily take the republican nomination and I wanted a say as to the other option.

There was a runoff for down-ballot candidates on both the Democrat and Republican ticket. When I showed up to vote in that run-off I was only able to vote for the Democrats.

If this is where the stats are coming from then everyone who doesn't vote in the primaries (ALOT of people) would show up as "Independent".

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Well in Texas, turns out, it wasn’t close. More than 6% up for Trump and looks like he did even better in lot of areas than in 2016. TX was and is still solid, for now. :tiphat:

Polls were off. :shock:

mayor

Post by mayor »

parabelum wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:56 am Polls were off. :shock:
By design. Media attempted to influence the election. :shock:

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Can't put this in the Early Voting topic because, you know, hardly early any longer...and this is a map I found pertaining only to Harris County; haven't tried searching for others. You can zoom in and move it around like a Google map, and it's supposed to represent how each neighborhood in the county voted.

https://chronpremium.carto.com/builder/ ... b24f/embed

If it's even close to accurate, it paints a pretty clear picture. Geographically, only about 10% of Texas's largest county were hard-core Biden voters. The problem is that the hard-core to somewhat-supporting Biden made up about 70%-75% of the county's geography...and there were zero enclaves of hard-core Trump voters. I hate to say that my own part of the county came in showing only a 0.01-9.99% pro-Trump margin.
Attachments
Harris-County-voting-results-by-neighborhood_2020.png
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”