Eldest Son Heading Out

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kayt00
Posts in topic: 6

Eldest Son Heading Out

Post by kayt00 »

Initially I was proud and excited for him, I still am, however tomorrow we're having a little shindig for him as he heads out later this month and due to recent events I have to admit that fear has definitely set in. I won't show him that, or tell him that as it's his journey and I certainly don't want to mess that up for him. He's joining the US Army, MOS 91 Papa and boot camp is in South Carolina.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Eldest Son Heading Out

Post by Jusme »

kayt00 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 am Initially I was proud and excited for him, I still am, however tomorrow we're having a little shindig for him as he heads out later this month and due to recent events I have to admit that fear has definitely set in. I won't show him that, or tell him that as it's his journey and I certainly don't want to mess that up for him. He's joining the US Army, MOS 91 Papa and boot camp is in South Carolina.
Thank him in advance for his service. :tiphat:

I know it's tough when one leaves the nest anyway, but going into the military, brings extra special angst. Remind him that the oath he takes, means that he will defend,not only the country, but the Constitution. Maybe give him a copy of it, so that he understands, that enemies may come in form of a Commander in Chief. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Haha he knows, he was brought up right. His initial reasoning for joining the military was to play with all the toys, I had to quickly explain that that's not how it works, it's not unlimited range time whenever you wish. But he will be getting to play with some of the biggest baddest guns in the arsenal so he's got that going for him, pending his follow through of course.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Congratulations on his decision to serve, and the best of luck to him!

If he hasn't already heard it, the first several days are in 'Reception' (haircuts, uniform issue, paperwork, etc), & along with the boredom comes homesickness & doubt. Tell him to go in strong & never forget his long-term goals; like everything in life Basic is just a short season and before long he'll be done & on with his life.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Jusme wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:26 am
kayt00 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 am Initially I was proud and excited for him, I still am, however tomorrow we're having a little shindig for him as he heads out later this month and due to recent events I have to admit that fear has definitely set in. I won't show him that, or tell him that as it's his journey and I certainly don't want to mess that up for him. He's joining the US Army, MOS 91 Papa and boot camp is in South Carolina.
Thank him in advance for his service. :tiphat:

I know it's tough when one leaves the nest anyway, but going into the military, brings extra special angst. Remind him that the oath he takes, means that he will defend,not only the country, but the Constitution. Maybe give him a copy of it, so that he understands, that enemies may come in form of a Commander in Chief. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
I second this.
Thank you.
I am not religious but keep a good place in my thoughts for all those that step up. :tiphat:

:txflag: :patriot:

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

At some point he'll swear in today at Dallas MEPS unfortunately because of the Rona we can't attend but video should eventually be posted on FB, of all platforms.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Mike S wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 am Congratulations on his decision to serve, and the best of luck to him!

If he hasn't already heard it, the first several days are in 'Reception' (haircuts, uniform issue, paperwork, etc), & along with the boredom comes homesickness & doubt. Tell him to go in strong & never forget his long-term goals; like everything in life Basic is just a short season and before long he'll be done & on with his life.
Good advice. The first night of "what did I do" is the worst.

Praying for you and your son. Sounds like a great choice for someone that likes to play with the big guns.
Charlie

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

He knows.

He's so worried about getting smoked. He didn't cut his hair before going because his recruiter told him not to, "you will get smoked for doing that". My son's a story teller so I don't know how much truth is behind that, but I told him not to worry about it because he's gonna get smoked regardless.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

He'll get his hair cut at the reception station, before his drill sergeant ever meets him.
I remember the reception station at Ft. Jackson, SC where he'll be going. I'd do it all over again, if i didn't have to do that part.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Vol Texan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:29 am He'll get his hair cut at the reception station, before his drill sergeant ever meets him.
I remember the reception station at Ft. Jackson, SC where he'll be going. I'd do it all over again, if i didn't have to do that part.
I remember both the reception station and the BCT at Ft. Jackson. I would definitely do it all over again.

One tip for him that I did not remember/know. It gets COLD in South Carolina at night. When we were on our bivouac, we woke up with ice locking the zippers on the sleeping bags. Tell him now to be prepared for colder weather than he is used to, in addition to everything else. My son also went to Ft. Jackson, but since he left in August, he did not have that problem.

One other piece of advice, but it is for you. If you get a chance, go to his graduation from basic. You will be very proud and amazed at the change in a very short time. I was unable to go to either of my children's graduation ceremonies from basic and I regret that to this day.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I'm planning on going if they're still doing it due to Rona. We'll see, but if it is a go, Im not going to miss it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

The first few nights of basic, I wondered, have in the heck have I done.
But, it was worth it. Made me a better person, builds character!
Best wishes for him, thank him for his service when you can from us.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

Please thank him for his service from me and he will be in our prayers. Not the easiest time to be going in, but with you as his Dad, I expect he will be better prepared than most

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Whelp he swore in at 1000 today in Dallas, it wasn't streamed but was posted. I forwarded all well wishes and thanks to him. He and I want to thank all of you for those along with the words of wisdom.

I also want to thank all of you who have served before him along with those that may be serving with him.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Return to “Off-Topic”