Kay Bailey Hutchison

This is the place for discussion specifically addressing state & local elections in Texas.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KFP
Posts in topic: 2

Kay Bailey Hutchison

Post by KFP »

I heard yesterday that she has launched an exploratory committee for a run at the Governor's office next time around. I gather that she is very supportive of our cause, but does anyone have any takes on her stance vs. Governor Perry?
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Kay Bailey Hutchison

Post by Right2Carry »

KFP wrote:I heard yesterday that she has launched an exploratory committee for a run at the Governor's office next time around. I gather that she is very supportive of our cause, but does anyone have any takes on her stance vs. Governor Perry?
This would be a tough choice for me to make. I do know what Perry has done for gun owners and that would probably give him the nod over Hutchinson for me. Hutchinson could tell me what she is going to do, but with Perry I already have a record of what he has done as Governor regarding Gun Rights.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nitrogen »

I like Perry; this state is far more better run than any other I've lived in, and I'd vote for him over her.

Granted, the Gov. here doesn't have a ton of power, but I'm not going to change anything I'm generally happy with.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
KFP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KFP »

I agree that Perry has done a lot and will continue to, I was just curious to see if Hutchison has essentially the same views or if she differed in anyway.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This thread is going to get busy!! That's fine, I hope it does.

I will support Governor Perry against any challenger, regardless who it is. He has done more for gun owners than any Governor we've ever had. I don't like everything he's done, but I'm not so naive as to believe I would agree with everything any elected official would do in office.

There is an old saying within NRA and TSRA; we don't abandon old friends for new ones. Senator Hutchison would probably be very good on our issue, but I won't abandon a proven friend for anyone.

Chas.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This thread is going to get busy!! That's fine, I hope it does.

I will support Governor Perry against any challenger, regardless who it is. He has done more for gun owners than any Governor we've ever had. I don't like everything he's done, but I'm not so naive as to believe I would agree with everything any elected official would do in office.

There is an old saying within NRA and TSRA; we don't abandon old friends for new ones. Senator Hutchison would probably be very good on our issue, but I won't abandon a proven friend for anyone.

Chas.
Well Stated. :iagree: :tiphat:
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

John

Post by John »

I like Kay Bailey Hutchison. I recall that she was keeping an "illegal" gun in DC for many years. The thought never occurred to her that keeping a gun in your residence was illegal until she learned of the law.

I like and respect Rick Perry too, but this year I've learned a lot of what he is trying to do with toll roads in Texas and i am 100% against those policies and the directives given to TXDOT. Because of these policies, i find myself voting for a democrat for the first time in my 46 years of life (local level election and maybe state level too). Given a pro-gun choice in Kay Bailey, i could be swayed her way for governor.

-John
JohnC

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nitrogen »

John wrote:I like Kay Bailey Hutchison. I recall that she was keeping an "illegal" gun in DC for many years. The thought never occurred to her that keeping a gun in your residence was illegal until she learned of the law.

I like and respect Rick Perry too, but this year I've learned a lot of what he is trying to do with toll roads in Texas and i am 100% against those policies and the directives given to TXDOT. Because of these policies, i find myself voting for a democrat for the first time in my 46 years of life (local level election and maybe state level too). Given a pro-gun choice in Kay Bailey, i could be swayed her way for governor.

-John
Can you expand on thsi a bit more?
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

John

Post by John »

I could rant on the subject, but first just try googling "Rick Perry and Toll Roads". I've met, locally, with TXDOT and Grand Parkway Association persons, as well as county commissioners. Well, maybe i'll write this up in long story at some point, but am just too tired tonight to do so. Any chance i get to change the direction at TXDOT, i will take. -John
JohnC

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wheelgun1958 »

John wrote:I could rant on the subject, but first just try googling "Rick Perry and Toll Roads". I've met, locally, with TXDOT and Grand Parkway Association persons, as well as county commissioners. Well, maybe i'll write this up in long story at some point, but am just too tired tonight to do so. Any chance i get to change the direction at TXDOT, i will take. -John
Not to mention his support for the "Trans-Texas Corridor." :banghead:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I am of mixed emotions on this, but generally agree with Charles. On the gun issue, I do not think we could get a better ally and friend than Rick Perry. Who else, as governor, would come out and say to the press that he supports CHL carrying everywhere, including schools (and I do not recall his exact words but it was along those lines)?

But, I have not agreed with everything he has done, especially TxDOT and toll roads. But I also doubt I would agree with everything anyone else does either.

But, I am pretty sure Hutchison is a fairly strong supporter of gun rights also, and she does have a record. I just have to look up what she has done at the federal level for us. I think it is pretty good as a record, but I would need to look it up to be sure. I also think on other issues, Hutchison would make a good governor.

As an aside, I support the Trans-Texas Corridor as a concept. I think Rick was right in starting the ball rolling on the project. We need to build that kind of infra structure for transportation in the state. I just disagree with the concept of tolling it or privatizing it. We should be paying for it ourselves with the tax dollars we need.

Between the two, I am just glad I am not a member of the Republican party and would have to vote in the primary. This way, I can support either one that wins and still be satisfied. It is going to be a hard fought campaign for the primary if Rick goes against Kaye for re-election. I see it as possibly being like the Democrats and the Clinton-Obama campaign. I hoep this does not hurt the party as much as that one did theirs.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: There is an old saying within NRA and TSRA; we don't abandon old friends for new ones. Senator Hutchison would probably be very good on our issue, but I won't abandon a proven friend for anyone.

Chas.
Does this mean that the NRA would be less than honest about her rating? Or would they just pretend she wasn't running when it came to publishing her ratings. It very tough to overlook Perry's giving away of so much of Texas to the Spanish So that we can have the privilege of paying to drive on roads we have already paid taxes to build and currently drive on for free.

I do agree though has been unwaivering in his support for our cause.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: There is an old saying within NRA and TSRA; we don't abandon old friends for new ones. Senator Hutchison would probably be very good on our issue, but I won't abandon a proven friend for anyone.

Chas.
Does this mean that the NRA would be less than honest about her rating? Or would they just pretend she wasn't running when it came to publishing her ratings.
The NRA and TSRA ratings would be accurate and based upon voting records for Senator Hutchison and on Governor Perry's stance on guns as Governor. This includes the pro-gun bills he signed, at least one of which was politically difficult not to veto. It also includes his public pro-gun statements such as the statement that CHLs should be able to carry anywhere in the State. We also consider the many times he had appeared at TSRA events and his appearance and speech at the NRA Annual Meeting in Houston. He is a man who didn't merely pay lip-service to supporting gun owners by turning in a good Questionnaire, he put the prestige of his office on our side with numerous public statements and public appearances at TSRA and NRA events.

We don't massage the ratings for very good reasons. First, our credibility would be destroyed and secondly, the opponent may win and we don't want an enemy.

A great example of this policy in action is State Senator Bob Deuell. He ran against a pro-gun incumbent with a good record. Deuell turned in an "A" Questionnaire and obviously would have liked our endorsement, or at least that we remain neutral. We couldn't do that. However, since he won and has proven himself to be as pro-gun as his Questionnaire indicated, and has carried bills for us, he is now our "friend." We wouldn't abandon him for a new friend and it wouldn't matter if I ran against him, I wouldn't get the endorsement and he would. To do otherwise destroy our effectiveness in Austin.

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: The NRA and TSRA ratings would be accurate and based upon voting records for Senator Hutchison and on Governor Perry's stance on guns as Governor. This includes the pro-gun bills he signed, at least one of which was politically difficult not to veto. It also includes his public pro-gun statements such as the statement that CHLs should be able to carry anywhere in the State. We also consider the many times he had appeared at TSRA events and his appearance and speech at the NRA Annual Meeting in Houston. He is a man who didn't merely pay lip-service to supporting gun owners by turning in a good Questionnaire, he put the prestige of his office on our side with numerous public statements and public appearances at TSRA and NRA events.

We don't massage the ratings for very good reasons. First, our credibility would be destroyed and secondly, the opponent may win and we don't want an enemy.

A great example of this policy in action is State Senator Bob Deuell. He ran against a pro-gun incumbent with a good record. Deuell turned in an "A" Questionnaire and obviously would have liked our endorsement, or at least that we remain neutral. We couldn't do that. However, since he won and has proven himself to be as pro-gun as his Questionnaire indicated, and has carried bills for us, he is now our "friend." We wouldn't abandon him for a new friend and it wouldn't matter if I ran against him, I wouldn't get the endorsement and he would. To do otherwise destroy our effectiveness in Austin.

Chas.
Will they rate Libertarians?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Well, I think it's safe to say that, after their bailout votes, neither Hutchison nor Cornyn is going to have an easy time getting my vote for anything.

Return to “Texas - 2008”