Did anyone get this in the mail?

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Did anyone get this in the mail?

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Russell wrote:I received a letter from the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms talking about HR 1022, which is a re-authorization of the assault weapons ban, but also adds a ton more guns onto the list, such as:

Permanently bans sales of all semi-automatic shotguns
Bans sales of three centerfire rifles, the AR-15, Springfield M1A, and M1 Garand
Also bans any semi-automatic shotgun or rifle the Attorney General arbitrarily finds to be "not particularly suitable for sporting purposes"

It also asked for some money to help fight the bill, so I went ahead and dropped a $5 bill in there.
I haven't received anything like this, but knowing that HR 1022 is sitting out their waiting for the right political/congressional temperament has never left my thoughts...

We should take a cue from the current administration and do our best to keep it from going to the Presidents (any President) desk for signature...We might be able to keep that from happening in November...

Just my knee-jerk reaction... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Did anyone get this in the mail?

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I was listening to NRA News the other night and they talked about this briefly. Cam Edwards said that this bill was filed by a couple of extreme gun banners but since then it has just been sitting in committee with no hearing scheduled. It also has very few co-sponsers. That tells you that it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Cam catagorized it as a "low priority" for the NRA because it has so little support. I tend to agree.

I think CCRKBA is mostly using its existence as a fundraising tool. They are a good organization, and I send them money once in a while.

But I'm not worried about this bill. Even though the DEMS have control of the Congress, many of the new arrivals in 2006 are actually pretty good on gun rights. I'm thinking like people like Tester of MT and Heath Schuler of either North or South Carolina (can't remember which). These guys were part of the DEM'S (successful) strategy of running conservative candidates in conservative districts. While this put people like Pelosi and Reid in charge, the new senators and congressmen themselves don't believe in gun bans and they also know that they would be gone in a big hurry if they voted for a gun ban - so they won't.

So I'm not too worried about it.

I'm more concerned by the prospect of Hillery - Obama appointing a few young "living document" SCOTUS justices, and dozens of the same type to the lower federal courts. Such a thing would be the biggest threat our democracy has ever faced in my lifetime.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Return to “Federal - 2008”