Horrible NRA campaign - stop private firearm sales

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Horrible NRA campaign - stop private firearm sales

Post by Kalrog »

I just got a call from Mr. LaPierre and I have to say that this was about the worst NRA campaign that I have ever heard. Not the point of it, but the way the message was delivered was absolutely horrid. The goal of this campaign was to raise money to stop a bill in the US senate to disallow all private firearm sales (although I can't seem to find any news about this bill). Of course this sounds like a bill that I would want defeated, but the tactics used totally turned me off. Everything said in the call was fear mongering and I would say stretched the truth a bit, plus it had already conceded the election to Mr. Obama. Neither of those tactics work very well for me and I will not support this effort financially. If someone can find more information about this bill and that it is more than just something filed that will never see the light of day (as in it might actually come up for a vote in committee at least), I will do my call, email, and letter thing, but no money for the NRA-ILA on this one unless they change tactics.

Anyone else get this call yet?

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Horrible NRA campaign - stop private firearm sales

Post by longtooth »

One of the new Lifers & I haven't.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Its news to me...I'm looking at some legislative sources, and nothing since Saturday has jumped out at me yet...

Has anyone pulsed Charles to see if there is a number on this bill, and or if it may be buried in some amendment to another bill to hide this thing???

To stop face to face firearm sales and transfers, that act would have to first be made illegal...Making it incredibly difficult to enforce...It would require a registration of your "current" personal inventory, so that any investigation would have to be a part of some other issue or something like that...So my knee-jerk reaction would be that the FFL market would become flush with transfers etc etc...So that "they" would have knowledge of that activity...I'm just thinking of what you'd have to do to make this work...

Not that I want it to work... :grumble
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I've been a lifer since 1976 and I've never received a call from Mr. LaPierre. Occasionally, I get a call from someone local if a Friends of NRA event is happening or a local issue requires attention.

Does Mr. LaPierre make calls, even recorded messages?

If so, it seems like I would get one since making Benefactor.

Could someone you know have been pulling your leg? Maybe a practical joke to rile you about a subject they know you care about?

Any chance caller ID recorded the number of the incoming call?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

Mike1951 wrote:Does Mr. LaPierre make calls, even recorded messages?
It was a recorded message. I had a telephone person on the line - she introduced the message and it sure sounded like Wayne - and then I went back to a different telephone person.
Mike1951 wrote:Any chance caller ID recorded the number of the incoming call?
Sure did - said NRA and everything. I could get the number tonight, but I don't want to post it here. PM to Charles if he wants it though.

thejtrain

Post by thejtrain »

To stop face to face firearm sales and transfers, that act would have to first be made illegal...Making it incredibly difficult to enforce...It would require a registration of your "current" personal inventory, so that any investigation would have to be a part of some other issue or something like that
That was my thought as well - it sounds to me like this issue is a perfect one with which to do the whole federalism/laboratory of democracy thing. If a state has a registration and/or ownership requirement then it only makes sense for that state to enact legislation that would require whatever steps are needed to maintain an accurate registry and ensure that only those with Firearm Owner Permission Slips (think IL & NJ). For states with no registry and no ownership hurdles to be cleared by Joe Sixpack (think :txflag: ) it makes so sense for that state to enact that kind of legislation, and makes even less sense to enact it at the federal level to apply to every state evenly. Especially when there's no national registry!!! Something like this sounds kinda like a backdoor to the feds requiring states that don't already have a registry to create one. Bleah. :mad5 :mad5

I smell a blog post and/or opinion column to the newspaper.
5 Feb 2008 - completed online application
1 March 2008 - completed CHL course
5 March 2008 - package delivery @ DPS
28 March 2008 - Day 23, "Processing Application"
12 June 2008 - Day 99, "Application Completed" :thumbs2:
20 June 2008 - Day 107, plastic in hand :txflag:

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Standard political fundraiser procedure.

I have not given to the NRA this year, i've given the NRA's usual share to the TSRA this year.

I eventually will renew my membership, but not for a bit yet
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Return to “Federal - 2008”