Ron Paul not out of the race

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Ron Paul not out of the race

Post by Liberty »

seamusTX wrote:There used to be an NOAA facility on Fort Crockett Boulevard or Avenue U when Texas A & M used that property (which used to be federal property). I think NOAA moved out when Texas A & M transferred it to Galveston College. I still saw a lot of NAOO vehicles before Ike, and I assumed they were based on Pelican Island.

The NOAA office on the mainland is on FM 646 just north of I-45 in Dickinson. AFAICT, that is in the 14th district, but it's gerrymandered like crazy around there.

There are other federally funded projects on Galveston Island. UTMB, which is one of the top medical research in the world, gets some federal research funding. The level 4 biohazard lab there is a prime example. It would be nice to find a cure for hemorrhagic (Ebola, etc.) fever before it escapes Africa.

- Jim
I have heard the place referred to as being in Dickinson it is indeed still in League City. I think the district lines are the same as the Dickinson League city line. Original Idea was to actually build it in Galveston, but the League City site was chosen to give better coverage over habitated land areas.

There is a fact sheet on the Galveston NOAA site (a PDF) http://galveston.ssp.nmfs.gov/home/2006FactSheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Post by seamusTX »

Thanks. That confirms my recollection of the facility being at 47th and U. I will have to go by and see if it is still there. I haven't been out of the house for two days. Working at home has its down side. :grumble

- Jim

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LarryH »

Just to clarify where the district line is not, we live in League City. Ron Paul is our congressman. We disagree with much that he stands for, too (not enough to vote for anybody the D's would put up against him), but the majority of the voters in our district obviously like him.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The NOAA facility on Fort Crockett Boulevard is still there and people are still working there. It's funny how you can drive past something hundreds of times and not see it.

- Jim

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

LarryH wrote:Just to clarify where the district line is not, we live in League City. Ron Paul is our congressman. We disagree with much that he stands for, too (not enough to vote for anybody the D's would put up against him), but the majority of the voters in our district obviously like him.
Memory recall is a funny thing. You are correct, in fact it looks like all of League city is in Ron Paul's district.

see http://www.govtrack.us/congress/findyou ... istrict=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Supercat

Post by Supercat »

Correct me if I am wrong but a vote for Ron Paul moves Obama that much closer to the office. It is simply moving the vote away from McCain, not that McCain is my first pick but lets be honest Hillary was more palatable as president than Obama is.
Big round, Little round, Having one is what counts!!!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

A vote for a third-party candidate affects the race only in a state that is closely contested, or a state that has proportional allocation of electors.

Montana is indeed closely contested. Polls in Louisiana show a solid margin for Sen. McCain.

In any case, I am not advocating that anyone vote for Dr. Paul for president at this time. I just thought it was remarkable that he had been put on the ticket by supporters after he dropped out of the race.

- Jim

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Supercat wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but a vote for Ron Paul moves Obama that much closer to the office. It is simply moving the vote away from McCain...
You err in assuming that a vote for Paul would otherwise go to McCain. Most Ron Paul supporters I know wouldn't vote for McCain; they would either write in, vote for someone else, or just not vote.

Thus, their votes are not taking away from McCain, nor adding to Obama.

I do not blame anyone in a borderline state if they vote for McCain. But still, I am guided by wise words:

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
- John Quincy Adams

Return to “Federal - 2008”