Obama Lays Plans to Kill Expectations After Election Victory

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tbranch
Posts in topic: 1

Obama Lays Plans to Kill Expectations After Election Victory

Post by tbranch »

By Tim Reid, The Times of London

Barack Obama's senior advisers have drawn up plans to lower expectations for his presidency if he wins next week's election, amid concerns that many of his euphoric supporters are harboring unrealistic hopes of what he can achieve.

The sudden financial crisis and the prospect of a deep and painful recession have increased the urgency inside the Obama team to bring people down to earth, after a campaign in which his soaring rhetoric and promises of "hope" and "change" are now confronted with the reality of a stricken economy.

One senior adviser told The Times that the first few weeks of the transition, immediately after the election, were critical, "so there's not a vast mood swing from exhilaration and euphoria to despair."

The aide said that Obama himself was the first to realize that expectations risked being inflated.

In an interview with a Colorado radio station, Obama appeared to be engaged already in expectation lowering. Asked about his goals for the first hundred days, he said he would need more time to tackle such big and costly issues as health care reform, global warming and Iraq.

"The first hundred days is going to be important, but it's probably going to be the first thousand days that makes the difference," he said. He has also been reminding crowds in recent days how "hard" it will be to achieve his goals, and that it will take time.

"I won't stand here and pretend that any of this will be easy -- especially now," Obama told a rally in Sarasota, Florida, yesterday, citing "the cost of this economic crisis, and the cost of the war in Iraq." Obama's transition team is headed by John Podesta, a Washington veteran and a former chief-of-staff to Bill Clinton. He has spent months overseeing a virtual Democratic government-in-exile to plan a smooth transition should Obama emerge victorious next week.

The plans are so far advanced that an Obama Cabinet has been largely decided upon, with the expectation that most of his senior appointments could be announced shortly after election day.
Last edited by tbranch on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdickens
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Obama Lays Plans to Kill Expectations After Election Victory

Post by bdickens »

Wow. Talk about hubris. I'll bet Michelle is already picking out the drapes.
Byron Dickens

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If only he had set about lowering expectations before the general election campaign, he could have saved us all a lot of trouble. So what ever happened to "Hope" and "Change?"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cwood3

Post by cwood3 »

C'mon people. It ain't rocket science. If I wanna sell you my best cuttin' horse (aka old betsey), I'll tell ya how good she is. When you call back and complain, I'll swear she just has to get to know ya.
CHL Class - August 2
DPS Receives - August 11
Processing App.....
November 12......Processing App
November 26 - Will Slit Wrists

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Ya mean hope you get some change back after you get robbed in order to give a bunch of professional couch potatoes a fatter paycheck for doing nothing but sucking up your air?
Byron Dickens

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:If only he had set about lowering expectations before the general election campaign, he could have saved us all a lot of trouble. So what ever happened to "Hope" and "Change?"

He's just gonna have to go on "hope" now, because all the "change" he proposed was never doable. I've been trying to tell democrats that for a year now.

Unfortunately, common sense (and apparently simple mathematics) are not strong attributes of those I have spoken to.

I think we can all agree that certain "change" is needed in Washington, but we must be careful as to what kind we get.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You know, it's racist to doubt or question Saint Obama. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You know, it's racist to doubt or question Saint Obama. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves! "rlol"

Oh I am, I truly am ashamed. ;-)

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest my body for ever doubting Saint Obamanation!

I beg his forgiveness. "rlol"

WEC

Post by WEC »

I read a great quote about Obama's promises.

Every time he opens his mouth, he promises ice cream. Half of the nation acts like nine year olds and want the ice cream he's offering. The other half of the nation realizes we're the ones who have to feed the cow.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I'm about to go to Sonic for some Tots and a Dr Pepper. I hope I get some change barack.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

HighVelocity wrote:I'm about to go to Sonic for some Tots and a Dr Pepper. I hope I get some change barack.
:smilelol5:

If you do, feel free to tip whichever carhop you feel deserves it most (not necessarily the one who earned it). ;-)

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

WEC wrote:Every time he opens his mouth, he promises ice cream. Half of the nation acts like nine year olds and want the ice cream he's offering. The other half of the nation realizes we're the ones who have to feed the cow.

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

Priceless!
Byron Dickens

Bart

Post by Bart »

I don't think my expectations of him can get any lower.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Return to “Federal - 2008”